Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New pen suggestions.

Thanks

Default Re: New pen suggestions.

After the experience with the snorkel Sheaffer pen, I've been wondering if one of the normal nibbed versions would be a better fit for me. And, can't remember if I'd already asked this, is it better to look for a touchdown filling system rather than the snorkel? That aside, it's been a touch fruitless trying to find a normal nibbed Sheaffer like the snorkel in size (like the Admiral and Saratoga, I think) that is in good condition, restored, and at a sensible price. Any preferred outlets?

Edited for a ridickelus number of spelling mistakes.
    Last edited by DumDum; March 13th, 2020 at 01:41 AM.
    "Whenever you are about to find fault with someone, ask yourself the following question: What fault of mine most nearly resembles the one I am about to criticize?"
    ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DumDum View Post
    After the experience with the snorkel Sheaffer pen, I've been wondering if one of the normal nibbed versions would be a better fit for me. And, can't remember if I'd already asked this, is it better to look for a touchdown filling system rather than the snorkel? That aside, it's been a touch fruitless trying to find a normal nibbed Sheaffer like the snorkel in size (like the Admiral and Saratoga, I think) that is in good condition, restored, and at a sensible price. Any preferred outlets?

Edited for a ridickelus number of spelling mistakes.
    The Snorks do have a touchdown filling system. They just come with that extra (and to my mind, creepy!) needle that emerges.

There are any number of touchdown Sheaffer pens that lack the snorkel system. Depending where you are you could look at yard sales, maybe antique or junk stores, too....but of course you may need to get those restored.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Y'know, had to look up "yard sale". Closest thing we have here is a garage sale! Anyroadup, was thinking bout the touchdown system as being simpler than the snorkel one, possibly less hassle.
    "Whenever you are about to find fault with someone, ask yourself the following question: What fault of mine most nearly resembles the one I am about to criticize?"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Y'know, had to look up "yard sale". Closest thing we have here is a garage sale! Anyroadup, was thinking bout the touchdown system as being simpler than the snorkel one, possibly less hassle.
    I think it would be, lacking that needle.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Saw for sale a Sheaffer called a "No Nonsense" - not sure if that is s'posed to be 2 words or one - with an italic nib. Are these good pens? It was comparatively cheap [as an ex civil servant I am also cheap!] Thought it may be less fiddly than the pneumatic filler types. Recommend or no?

Thanks

Saw for sale a Sheaffer called a "No Nonsense" - not sure if that is s'posed to be 2 words or one - with an italic nib. Are these good pens? It was comparatively cheap [as an ex civil servant I am also cheap!] Thought it may be less fiddly than the pneumatic filler types. Recommend or no?
    The single best cheap pen ever made imo. I have owned dozens. Always have one or two inked up.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 16th, 2020)

Thanks

If the pen has an itallic nib it may have come from a Sheaffer Calligraphy set which may have used the NoNonesense as a base, these set are often very low priced. The Sheaffer Itallic is very sharp, not an easy nib to use for regular handwriting.

Thanks

All right then. Will have a rummage for a suitable colour without the italic nib. Ta muchly.

Thanks

Update: huh! the jinhow 51a never pitched up and they've refunded me money. Would rather have had the pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

That's a bummer. They are pretty nice. Not surprising though given the goings on in China the last couple months. Perhaps you could try again in a couple weeks. I think they are ramping back up now or soon.

Thanks

I recently ordered one that I think is the same as your 51A and they say it will be delivered tomorrow. Guess we'll see.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1