Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: New pen suggestions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Default Re: New pen suggestions.

Let's not forget the importance of being Ernest.

But really, it was Oscar Wilde who (elsewhere) said "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

DumDum (February 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

I love an apropos retort!

Woe is me tho', as being meself has been roundly condemned by one rather narrow-minded reader on this website.

Overall, I’m super friendly with 25 letters of the alphabet. I just don’t know why.
    "Whenever you are about to find fault with someone, ask yourself the following question: What fault of mine most nearly resembles the one I am about to criticize?"
    ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Ha ha! That last line... took me a while to see it. Very amusing. (Don't let the curmudgeons stifle your imagination and creativity. The critics tend to be those who create nothing of their own).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    If a well-educated writer is deliberately trying to imitate broad dialect speech while typing it out, then he surely knows he has a dialect or accent and is deliberately trying to reproduce it as text, rather than believing he has no dialect. Does this mean he might be trying very hard to mislead others into believing he has a dialect for a particular reason? Why would someone wish to do that?

Cos it's fun, innit. Entertaining. I like it.

As for accents, I was a few months shy of 30 when ... a co-worker told me that a woman with a Chinese accent had returned my call. I hadn't made any calls to a Chinese woman... Mystery! Oh wait, I had called my mother, who is Japanese. The penny dropt. I laughed* to myself when my mother answered the phone and I suddenly heard her accent.

*A kindv surprised amazement chuckle.
    Last edited by ethernautrix; February 6th, 2020 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Oh right. Pen suggestions. I've forgotten the parameters, so I'll shout out "Pilot!" in the manner of concert-goers shouting out "Free Bird!"

Also, question for the Parker experts, what are the differences between Parkers 51, 51 Special, and 21?
    Last edited by ethernautrix; February 6th, 2020 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Why does "so" so often get changed to "do," hm, robot?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Oh right. Pen suggestions. I've forgotten the parameters, so I'll shout out "Pilot!" in the manner of concert-goers shouting out "Free Bird!"

Also, question for the Parker experts, what are the differences between Parker's 51, 51 Special, and 21?
    I'm no expert, but the 21 was made of slightly cheaper materials than the 51.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Also, question for the Parker experts, what are the differences between Parker's 51, 51 Special, and 21?
    21 was a school pen with cheaper material and an "octanium" (alloy) nib. 51 Special has an octanium nib. 51s have gold nibs.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

The 21 nib is a regular open nib covered by a hood. The 51 and 51 special have the familiar tubular nib. (Many 51 Specials are found with 14k nibs)

Ignoring the rare red band filler & the cartridge 51s, the regular 51 will have a vacumatic filler or an aerometric filler. The special has a version of the aerometric filler where the pli-glass sac is exposed at the aft end. This filler is also found in the later demi sized 51s. It’s usually called the “hoop filler”. The cap jewel is also supposed to be different, but caps are easily switched.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 7th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    That's wonderful, you have a Snorkel with a fude nib!
    Triumph nibbed Snorkels (and many other vintage Sheaffer pens) have upturning tines, the tipping isn't "fude" but they look a bit like it.

DumDum, congrats on the snorkel! If the gold snorkel tube is original that makes it a first year of production pen. So long as all your seals are good, they are exceptional writers and are among the most reliable every-day use pens I've ever owned. If the pen has a fresh set of gaskets, a new sac and writes well, then you paid somewhere between "deal" and "fair price" by US standards, I'm assuming that means you're edging in on "sumgai" by UK pricing.

Late production 21s and 51 Supers aren't far apart from each other... I think the clip is the biggest difference?
    Last edited by awa54; February 6th, 2020 at 05:16 PM.
    David-

So many restoration projects...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    the 21 was made of slightly cheaper materials than the 51.
    That's an understatement.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    the 21 was made of slightly cheaper materials than the 51.
    That's an understatement.
    My first 'wild' Parker was a Super 21 (21 Super?) with a deformed, shrunken hood.

Thanks

My grey snorkel and I appear to be at a crossroad. Whilst the pen is claimed to be fully restored to function, and is in, to my aged orbs, mint-like presentation, the triumph nib is less than... a triumph, that is. This tubular marvel dries out after a day of neglect, and takes more than a modicum of personal effort to coax an inky flow from it thereafter. It is usually "stored" prone on the surface of my favourite desk.

Solutions to this malady would be enormously appreciated, if such a treatment exists. I remain, as is often the case, a smidgeon over the line between average and clueless.

cheers m'dears,

Simon
    "Whenever you are about to find fault with someone, ask yourself the following question: What fault of mine most nearly resembles the one I am about to criticize?"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DumDum View Post
    My grey snorkel and I appear to be at a crossroad. Whilst the pen is claimed to be fully restored to function, and is in, to my aged orbs, mint-like presentation, the triumph nib is less than... a triumph, that is. This tubular marvel dries out after a day of neglect, and takes more than a modicum of personal effort to coax an inky flow from it thereafter. It is usually "stored" prone on the surface of my favourite desk.

Solutions to this malady would be enormously appreciated, if such a treatment exists. I remain, as is often the case, a smidgeon over the line between average and clueless.

cheers m'dears,

Simon
    Sorry to hear. That is not normal in my long experience with snorkels. They are usually ready to write in a jiffy even if stored nib up and generally a decent cap seal. Perhaps your cap is cracked? alternately your snorkel tube doesn't line up well (the notch has to face up and touch the feed)... What ink? Snorkels are generally pretty bomb proof if properly restored. Sometimes the spring will corrode or bind up... but they should be dependable writers. The Snorkel tube has a feed in it. Is that clogged? A guitar string usually clears it but I don't recommend lifting the hood on your snorkel yourself if you don't have any know how.

Thanks

cheers m'dears,

Simon
    What ink are you using? That might be the culprit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

cheers m'dears,

Simon
    Snorkels, restored properly, are very reliable writers. There are different definitions of "restored." Some are looser than others. Some call just a new sac, without changing the 0-ring or point holder gasket, or a good cleaning in an ultrasonic cleaner "restored."

I would expect a clogged snorkel tube, or a feed and snorkel tube that were not properly cleaned. The suggestion that the snorkel tube is not lined up properly is valid. A bad sac, bad 0-ring in the barrel, or bad point holder gasket, individually or together could prevent the pen from filling properly These pens have a metal inner cap that seals well. I've never see one that is cracked or corroded through.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

We did have one open-nibbed snork that was repaired, yet still would properly not draw ink....there was a hairline crack in the barrel.

Thanks

The snorkel pen works better if it is stored nib down, so that problem while not solved is out of the way.

Bonus question: does anyone make or produce pens with chasing (I believe it may also be termed engine-turning)? Saw some old pens - Onto and Stephens I think - that had it, but not wanting to of confident in approach to antique pens. So, modern equivs?

Thanks

Osprey produce a reasonably priced modern chased ebonite pen (the Milano iirc)

The chasing is quite a wide grid not as small as you’d see on an Onoto but not bad

Thanks

Thanks

Conklin Duragraph with the JoWo nibs are good. I have a recent purchase with a 1.1 stub that does a good job.

I would suggest to avoid the Omniflex nib using the Conklin feed.