Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "break in" period? Is it just me?

Thanks

Default Re: "break in" period? Is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    What is being regarded as "breaking in" seems to have shifted from the OP's concentration on the nib. Now feed saturation, filling a Parker 51 collector and even flushing residues seem to be included now. Personally I wouldn't regard these latter tasks as "breaking in", just the normal preparation of a new or long unused pen.
    Precisely, for those of us who are skeptical, these are "alternate theories" or explainations.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Deb (January 7th, 2020), silverlifter (January 7th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Now, I realize there are those on this forum who will almost certainly disagree with me, but I really think that the "break in" period that some people believe they are experiencing is in actual fact a period of adjustment during which the writer's brain implant (from space aliens, of course) syncs with the nib's primary harmonic resonance. That's why it often takes longer to break in pens with steel nibs than those with gold or mithril ones.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 13th, 2020), azkid (January 13th, 2020), ethernautrix (January 8th, 2020), Jon Szanto (January 7th, 2020), Pterodactylus (January 7th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (January 7th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

One thing I have yet to see anyone both verbalize and support with any reasonable evidence or rationale is precisely what is breaking in, and how it is breaking in. If objects are altering during some initial "break-in" period, what prevents them from further wearing/bending/evolving as the days, weeks, and months roll on?

I remain unconvinced, with 50 years of fountain pen use, of this breaking news.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Pterodactylus (January 7th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I had to return my Conid to the factory after 1,000 words, for ink and filter change.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 8th, 2020), azkid (January 13th, 2020), Chrissy (January 7th, 2020), Pterodactylus (January 7th, 2020), Stands on Feet (January 7th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I had to return my Conid to the factory after 1,000 words, for ink and filter change.
    That's just wrong. (Shakes head sadly.)
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

I wonder if there is any proof for the assertions about a break in period for fountain pens. I could not say that any good pen, including Montblancs, Pelikans, Lamys or Sheaffers from the 60s to 70s ever broke in that I could notice. Definitely not any of the Parker 51s I got in new condition. Of course some of the described brutality might have changed a nib, as in force-flexing the nib, etc. Doing that to some of today's thin nibs will bend them badly, and then you will see how beneficial it is.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 7th, 2020), Deb (January 9th, 2020)

Thanks

That's old school. The new Montblanc Innovators Edition pens have updates pushed over wifi, and if you try to disassemble them, there is a DMCA kill switch that permanently closes the ink shutoff valve, bricking the pen.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

bebox (January 10th, 2020), Chrissy (January 7th, 2020), ethernautrix (January 8th, 2020), FredRydr (January 8th, 2020), Jon Szanto (January 7th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (January 7th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    That's old school. The new Montblanc Innovators Edition pens have updates pushed over wifi, and if you try to disassemble them, there is a DMCA kill switch that permanently closes the ink shutoff valve, bricking the pen.
    They do offer "smart paper"...https://www.montblanc.com/en-us/coll...ter=1778035081

Thanks

Were they mono- or multi-syllabic words? One must calibrate usage, you know.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post

Why buy something that someone else has control of?

Thanks

It is generally well known in the exercise science world that it takes your nervous system about 3 weeks to adapt to and learn any given movement pattern (even if you've done it before). This is why a lot of people see strength gains out the gate, then plateau: their nervous system tuned in the movement, now the muscles are doing the work (also why you should stick with the same routine for longer stretches of time and why "confusing the muscles" is BS).

I reckon the same is true for "breaking in" a pen. Different tactile feel, different weight, girth, smoothness, etc. amount to a different sensory experience from pen to pen. Try using a girthy 149 for a month and switch to a slim pen. You'll notice a difference and the slim pen may even be difficult to write with. Now use that for a month and grab that 149. You will almost certainly have another "break in" period adjusting to the new grip.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Deb (January 9th, 2020), Jon Szanto (January 8th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

What Fred and Deb said about adjusting your hand to the nib.

I like tuning and grinding nibs. Once adjusted, they don’t need a break in period.

What may be happening is that you’re inadvertently (and slowly) adjusting a nib through use. Pressing down on a dry writer to separate the tines, slight misalignment (one tine higher than the other) might be correcting itself through use. None of that is “break in” though.

Thanks

So you're saying the feed makes no difference? I don't think anyone is saying it's just the nib.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sjssf View Post
    So you're saying the feed makes no difference? I don't think anyone is saying it's just the nib.
    But that is irrelevant - how would one "break in" a feed? Nothing changes in the feed by simply using the pen; the only thing one could do would be to alter the feed in some manner, and that is hardly breaking in a pen, that's actual adjustment and repair (if the feed is poorly made in the first place).

~ Benjamin Franklin

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 9th, 2020), Deb (January 9th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Pressing down on a dry writer to separate the tines, slight misalignment (one tine higher than the other) might be correcting itself through use. None of that is “break in” though.
    I'm the OP and *this* is what I was meaning to say. I notice all my pens seem to flow better after some flexing (separating of the tines). It might take one writing period, or it might take a week or two.

Mook

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mookie2112 View Post
    Pressing down on a dry writer to separate the tines, slight misalignment (one tine higher than the other) might be correcting itself through use. None of that is “break in” though.
    I'm the OP and *this* is what I was meaning to say. I notice all my pens seem to flow better after some flexing (separating of the tines). It might take one writing period, or it might take a week or two.

Mook
    While writing, I never press on any of my nibs hard enough to "flex" or separate the tines. If pens are to stay in my collection they have to write with very little hand pressure.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (January 10th, 2020), Deb (January 9th, 2020)

Thanks

Mook
    I have to be honest, Mook, and I hope that's ok: this is an indication of poorly made pens, or pens that have been sent out in sub-optimal condition. This is not something one should have to do when receiving a pen and it is not how good pens are made. I'm not saying that an occasional pen may not need an adjustment to suit your particular writing preferences, and there are a number of people who sell their pens and ask how you want it "set up" before sending to you. That said, no quality pen requires this effort. Receiving a sub-par pen and doing things to it to become a good writer is one thing, but a habitual expectation of "breaking in" a pen through pressured writing or other process efforts is not, or should not be, common practice.

~ Benjamin Franklin

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 13th, 2020), AzJon (January 9th, 2020), Chrissy (January 9th, 2020), Deb (January 9th, 2020), Pterodactylus (January 9th, 2020), Stands on Feet (January 9th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Mook
    In my experience, this (dry writers) is not uncommon - and I’ll disagree with Jon a little here. Pen companies that buy Bock and Jowo nibs in bulk usually just screw them in and package it.

Anyway, pressing the pen hard to paper (or other surface) can be an appropriate way to correct minor flow issues (I do it). Over doing it can spread the tines too far apart, misalign them, or bend the nib so that it’s too high above the feed. The biggest problem is that you’re not controlling where the nib is bending.
    Last edited by dneal; January 9th, 2020 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks

Pen companies that buy Bock and Jowo nibs in bulk usually just screw them in and package it.
    This is what I meant regarding "sub-optimal" condition when shipping a pen. I don't give *anyone* a pass for simply installing a part without at least minimal attention to see that it works well. Maybe that is just me expecting too much, but there you go.

Good advice on how to, and how not to, adjust that dry nib!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

...Pen companies that buy Bock and Jowo nibs in bulk usually just screw them in and package it....
    Well, there has to be exceptions. Almost three years ago, I bought a Conid Minimalistica with two Conid-branded steel nibs that I understand are made by Bock. I wrote with the M for many months, and swapped in the F two years ago. I don't know what Conid does to their nibs' tipping or temper, but they are a joy to use. Doesn't Franklin-Christoph and Edison Pen Company use Jowo nibs? The several Edisons I've owned over the years were personally tuned by either Brian Gray or Richard Binder as part of the purchase. I owned one F-C with a wide stub steel nib, and it went through the late Jim Rouse's tuning skill before it was handed over.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 9th, 2020)