Thread: How pens make me a more productive person - List Writing

Thanks

Default How pens make me a more productive person - List Writing

I’m a list-writer. For many years now I use my fountain and dip pens to keep me on-task. Each morning, after checking ebay just in case there’s a $10.00 buy-it-now for the pens or paper of my dreams (plus a stiff cup of coffee), I write a to-do list. I enjoy using my pens so much that these lists are utter fun for me. By the end of the day they are checked-off (exercise and all), and doodle-embellished but they keep me on track. So: pens are making me a better person. 😊 Anybody else?

IMG_1891.JPG
    Last edited by jbb; January 8th, 2020 at 11:58 AM.
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

azkid (January 18th, 2020), BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 8th, 2020), carlos.q (January 8th, 2020), Chuck Naill (January 9th, 2020), pocky (January 8th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (January 9th, 2020), SchaumburgSwan (January 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: How pens make me a more productive person - List Writing

Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
    I’m a list-writer. For many years now I use my fountain and dip pens to keep me on-task. Each morning, after checking ebay just in case there’s a $10.00 buy-it-now for the pens or paper of my dreams (plus a stiff cup of coffee), I write a to-do list. I enjoy using my pens so much that these lists are utter fun for me. By the end of the day they are checked-off (exercise and all), and doodle-embellished but they keep me on track. So: pens are making me a better person. Anybody else?
    I agree! I keep track of my work days with to-do lists. In a way I feel like it clears my head to focus on other important tasks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pocky For This Useful Post:

jbb (January 8th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

I write lists from time to time -- usually shopping lists -- and while I do write them almost exclusively in fountain pen because I rarely use any other sort of writing implement, I found that there was no increase to my productivity after switching to fountain pens. It was in a different arena altogether that pens made me more productive: creative writing. I began writing a novel (my second one) something like five years ago, and after getting roughly halfway through it I ran into a brick wall of writer's block that lasted about four years. Toward the end of the fourth year I had begun acquiring and using fountain pens, and it occurred to me that I might want to see if I could do anything with that half-completed novel by writing in notebooks with a fountain pen. So, I picked up an attractive-looking journal with lined paper and sat down with one of my pens -- I used several from time to time, but mostly a Sailor 1911 -- and blew through that writer's block like it wasn't there. The rest of the story just came pouring out of me as if I were a bucket. It was quite amazing. Since then I've used fountain pen for the first draft of almost everything I write, fiction or nonfiction (I do some writing and editing at work), and I find that it serves me very well indeed.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

jbb (January 8th, 2020), Kaputnik (January 8th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

I found if I add pens to my bullet journal, I start doodling, then doing linear algebra and, before I know it, I’m conjugating archaic Latin verbs. All in technicolor.

If I want to get anything done, it must be bulleted in 0.5mm lead with a TWSBI Pagoda pencil.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

azkid (January 18th, 2020), Chuck Naill (January 9th, 2020), jbb (January 8th, 2020), Robert (January 9th, 2020), ThriveToScribe (January 13th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    I found if I add pens to my bullet journal, I start doodling, then doing linear algebra and, before I know it, I’m conjugating archaic Latin verbs. All in technicolor.

If I want to get anything done, it must be bulleted in 0.5mm lead with a TWSBI Pagoda pencil.
    I think you’ve discovered how to cure cancer. Keep brainstorming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pocky For This Useful Post:

jbb (January 8th, 2020), VertOlive (January 13th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Linear algebra? Cool. I wished I had better math aptitude or at least better ability to learn it from papers and symbols. It took me forever to understand Kalman filtering.

I have been doing bullet journalling of a very lite sort. With to do lists and meeting notes. It's been super helpful for work.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

jbb (January 18th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

There're my correspondence lists for letters and postcards, written with a fountain pen (of course).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I am a list maker/BUJO person. I was doing BUJO before I knew what it was. The problem is my last employer did not allow pen/paper/cell phones on the premises due to security concerns. The lack of pen/paper really messed me up and I am struggling to get back in the habit after months of not doing it and now working for an employer that allows it.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot