Thread: How to best seal body threads on pelikan 100

Thanks

Default How to best seal body threads on pelikan 100

A few years ago I found a beautiful original Pelikan 100. I rebuilt it and it worked amazing. My favorite daily writer pen. Then, one day I dropped it...
    I cracked the cap. The pen wrote beautifully still, but would leak out all the ink at a certain point.

So I empied it and shelved it for a year or so.
    Finally I had my daughters bring it to a fountain pen repairman near me. My life is too busy to find time to drive across town for this thing... Fathers day present was to drop it off.
    It was at the store for a few weeks. He said he just re-set the nib and put water in it for a few days and it didn't leak.

Well, the day after I brought it home, it leaked. Did the exact same thing as before.
    Frustrated, I don't want to drive back across town. He says he just seals the body with rubber cement but I hear that's a no-no.

So, I'm at analysis by paralysis.

Help me with a specific link to where I buy a sealant for this!!!!
    I so want to use this pen again and soon!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 578 Posts

Default Re: How to best seal body threads on pelikan 100

I would use a rosin based sealant. Typically rosin mixed in caster oil to make a thick (solid at room temperature) paste. I have a few different mixes depending on what I'm doing.

I'm not a fan of rubber cement but I will admit to using it decades ago in the century past...

Thanks
    Thanked 11,115 Times in 4,028 Posts

An addendum to Farmboy’s comment: if you don’t want to figure out how to make that sealant, I’m pretty certain that Ron Zorn of Main Street Pens sells something like that. Maybe he’ll see this thread.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I would use a rosin based sealant. Typically rosin mixed in caster oil to make a thick (solid at room temperature) paste. I have a few different mixes depending on what I'm doing.
    Ooo, it'd be really interesting to know more, if you felt moved to share.

In an addendum to Jon's addendum, should the DIY approach appeal (which it rather has to here in the UK, owing to no-one apparently feeling the urge to sell it ready made), I found Flounder's series of posts here invaluable. It also has a link to Main Street Pens where Ron does indeed sell such a thing.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,568 Times in 4,037 Posts

I previously bookmarked this FPG thread that Flounder posted on resin based sealant. It's an excellent resource.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens