Thread: Parker 51 from the 40s

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Parker 51 from the 40s

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I've come across my Grandmother's trove of well-used fountain pens and am working my way through them, trying to identify what they are. She had a Parker 51 from the 40s (pretty sure it's from 1946 but I'll need a magnifying glass to validate that tiny little number stamp). I'm cleaning it up and decided to check if it'd write with a quick dip into ink (rather than using its filling system, which might be in terrible shape after all these years, right?).

So, I soaked the nib in some lukewarm water for about a half-hour and quite a bit of blank ink seeped out. Removed it from the water and dried it as best I could and thought, "I'll write with it" expecting to get a few very faded words out on paper only.
    One and a half pages later, it's still writing (well, I'm writing with it and ink is still coming out of it). I set it down for several minutes, pick it up again and it's still writing.

My Grandmother died in 1985, this pen has been in a box since at least then. I don't ever remember seeing her use it, so my conservative guess is she probably put it away in the early 70s.

How is is possible that ink in a pen, stored for decades, could still be flowing onto the page on January 10, 2020?

-Carolyn

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seattlec257 For This Useful Post:

amk (January 11th, 2020), SchaumburgSwan (January 11th, 2020)