Thread: Lustraloy cap, clip has some greenish residue built up

Thanks

Default Lustraloy cap, clip has some greenish residue built up

From my grandmother's pen and pencil box, I've found a number of old fountain pens. One of them is a Parker 51 from 1948 (8 with 3 dots) in Dove Grey with a Lustraloy cap, jewel on top of the cap, arrow clip. The pen and cap are in wonderful condition but...the clip has some greenish residue on it, similar to the stuff you see on an old battery.

Any suggestions on how to safely clean off this stuff are welcomed. Thank you so much!

The cap and pen look exactly like this one:
    https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/par...-restored.html

Thanks

Default Re: Lustraloy cap, clip has some greenish residue built up

It's likely that a copper alloy used on the clip. Not much you can except from buying a new clip as removing the residue will leave a brassy or coppery colour behind. Can you post a photo?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

If you clean the greenish residue from the clip, it won't be chrome coloured, like it should be, but might be black or brass coloured instead. The chrome plating has been attacked and will be worn away.
    It wouldn't be too difficult to get a new clip for this cap, then the pen would look how it would have looked originally.
    If you're not comfortable with buying a replacement clip that is the correct size, and fitting it yourself, then you will need to find a pen repairer to do this for you. There are plenty in the US if that's where you live.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Thank you!
    I carefully removed the green stuff and can see tiny spots or scratches in the clip where, as you've said, the chrome plating is worn. I am in the US (Seattle) so having the clip replaced is likely an easy option. I wouldn't want to damage the cap by using it to learn how to switch out the clip. I also suspect that due to the age of the pen, it needs some attention anyway internally (it has the vacumatic fill system). I found a site that specializes in the 51s, parker51.com, that looks promising. Any other repair folks that you'd care to recommend?