Thread: Ink Review: Montblanc James Purdey & Sons Single Malt

Thanks

Default Ink Review: Montblanc James Purdey & Sons Single Malt

After months away from pens and the site I decided it was time to ink something up and play with a pen. Rummaged through the ink drawer and realized I'd forgotten about this ink. It's a very pleasant ink. I like whisky, and guns, so the name, reference, color, and scent are quite fantastic. No option to test / compare on different papers just yet as I'm away from home on business and only brought one notebook with me.

For the most part I think it's safe to simply classify it as a Montblanc ink. While they tend to charge a lot to put their name on a product, it doesn't suck. Writing properties are great. Smooth flow. Well lubricated. Pleasant shading. Pretty standard / average dry time. Didn't test permanence, but as it's not advertised to be permanent I don't expect it to be permanent.

Image taken on an afternoon in natural light reflecting off the frozen, snow-covered tundra of Michigan's upper peninsula.

Last edited by Scooby921; January 14th, 2020 at 01:48 PM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 15th, 2020), aurore (August 29th, 2020), Chrissy (January 14th, 2020), damfino (September 7th, 2020), fountainpagan (January 16th, 2020), junglejim (January 25th, 2020), Marsilius (January 18th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (August 31st, 2020), Yazeh (January 17th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Re: Ink Review: Montblanc James Purdey & Sons Single Malt

It's a more attractive colour than I thought it might be, but sadly I'm not a fan of whisky or it's smell. Does that disappear fairly quickly?
    Apart from it's potential smell, it looks like a nice ink. Thank you for the review.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

The scent is very light. I don't notice it when writing. Only if I hold the pen up to my nose. It does not linger once you've written with it. I letter dropped in the post wouldn't arrive still smelling of whisky. My writing sample is already scentless.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Cool ink. Thanks for the review. At first glance I thought this was a Scotch review which would have been great as I do like me a nice single malt. But ink is good too. I like the color. It seems kind of unusual but then I don't get out much either.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Cool ink. Thanks for the review. At first glance I thought this was a Scotch review which would have been great as I do like me a nice single malt. But ink is good too. I like the color. It seems kind of unusual but then I don't get out much either.
    My whisky reviews are all on my facebook page . My wife (then...now ex) bought me a few "whiskey" advent calendars which gave me a sample a day for the holidays. Did my best to test and evaluate them and posted pics and thoughts on my Facebook page for friends to laugh at. I've done a Bourbon calendar, Irish whiskey calendar, and a Scotch whisky calendar. The Scotch calendar was uniquely limited to offerings from That Boutique-y Whisky Company in the UK. Apparently they buy barrels from all the big distilleries and then do what they want with them. You can find some really good stuff that might actually cost less than the brand name it carries. One delicious sample was a 42 year Invergordon. Picked up a 500mL bottle for $25.

Thanks

If you like the colour but don’t want the smell, you could try Akkerman’s SBRE Brown - they are somewhat comparable.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

My wife got me the scotch advent calendar back in 2018. That was truly awesome. Then she ended up getting me a really special blended 50yr which is beyond amazing. I'm still working on it as I want to savor it as long as I can.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Scooby921 (January 23rd, 2020), Yazeh (January 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

Here's my small contribution, writing with a Medium Edison nib in a Noodler's Neponset.

I have so far tried this ink in three pens -- MB 146, Parker 51 Demi, and this Neponset. It's great in all of them, but I especially like it in this one. It goes down a smidgeon darker than in the other two, which have finer nibs.

I did not think that an orange ink - even burnt orange like this one - would make it into my daily rotation. But in less than a week, this one has solidified its place. I am currently using it as the "main" color in my bullet journal, where I normally use black or blue-black.

I am sure there're some papers somewhere it won't work on, maybe, but I have yet to experience any bleed-through.

And yes, it does smell of whiskey. Not on the paper, but you can hold the pen's feed up to your nose and smell it.

singleMalt.JPG

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NumberSix For This Useful Post:

damfino (September 7th, 2020)