Thread: Ink starts out fine then peters out

Thanks

Default Ink starts out fine then peters out

I have a vintage Yard-o-Led Corinthian and aside from being beautiful, it writes well, until it doesn't.
    No hard starts but the flow gets less and less and then goes dry. I open it up and there's plenty of ink in the converter. I can push the ink up using the piston and then it writes well, until it doesn't.
    I suspect it's the converter since the nib does work.
    Should I just replace the converter? Or do you think this might need real repairs?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 794 Posts

Default Re: Ink starts out fine then peters out

I would suggest you use the pen with a compatible cartridge. If it works then you know where the problem lies.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sjssf View Post
    I suspect it's the converter since the nib does work.
    Should I just replace the converter?
    The end of the converter may be split or too loose. If it isn't the converter, it may be the ink. Does the ink tumble up and down inside the converter when you tip it up and down? If it sticks to the sides of the converter, then you should try a different ink that doesn't do that.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Well, I've tried three different inks with the same results. It also dawned on me, why not try a cartridge? It did the same thing. I can write about three or four paragraphs worth of copy and then it just dries up. So it's not the converter is my guess. Is there harm in soaking the nib unit overnight in water? I'm wondering if that might loosen something.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

If it's a used pen that you have acquired then soaking the nib might help loosen up any old ink that may have been left in there.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

sjssf (January 15th, 2020)

Thanks

Water would be better than a commercial pen flush for an overnight, wouldn't it?

Thanks

I have seen this several times caused by a constricted feed channel. Fill a rubber ear bulb with water and slide it over the fang that pierces a cartridge. Squeezing the bulb should send a stream of water out from under the nib. If you just get a drip or a weak dribble, you can try pushing a fine wire (0.009" guitar string) down the feed channel if the channel goes straight through to the nib.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 7th, 2020), Chrissy (January 15th, 2020), sjssf (January 15th, 2020)

Thanks

Well, I checked with Yard-o-Led and it's going to cost to repair and almost $45 to ship back. Clearly, they're not interested. I bought it used so I don't really blame them. I did try the bulb and squirting water through and I thought I had it but I don't. It started to dry up again. Is there anyone in the US that likes to work on Yard-oLeds?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

If it was my pen, I'd place it in the hands of a respected and experienced penmeister to deal with basic issues of ink flow from the converter, through the section to the nib via the feed. The pen might benefit from "aftermarket adjustments" without any need for Yard-o-Led parts.

Thanks

Great advice so far, my two cents.

If I get problems then I eliminate everything that I dont know.

1. Good flush through as described above, whilst you have the nib section in your hands look at the relationship between the nib and the feed, this Jet Pens Guide may help

https://www.jetpens.com/blog/guide-t...-tricks/pt/777

2. Put the converter to one side and use a new cartridge of ink from a trusted maker, I use MB or Waterman but opinions vary.

3. If you have no problems with the cartridge then you can suspect the converter is at fault, we all have our own way of dealing with issues, personally I dont fool around with repairing a converter on a $500 pen, replace the converter with something good and expensive! Fill it with a reliable and simple ink, Parker washable blue or Waterman would be my choice but perhaps anything that you have had good results in the past.

4. If you have problems with the cartridge then before you get in too deep look at some other paper. A new sheet of clean paper and ideally from a trusted brand such as Rhodia.

Just to say one good thing for Yard O Lead, their service people usually do great work, I appreciate that the cost of shipping may be prohibitive.
    Last edited by Fermata; February 28th, 2020 at 02:56 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 427 Posts

One other quick thing you can try is to avoid skin oils on the paper. Use a new sheet of paper and place a 3x5 card under your writing hand as you write. Since the Corinthian seems to write fine at the start then peters out as you get further down the paper, that may be the source of the problem. (I was surprised how much "ick" comes off my hand after viewing a sheet of paper under a long-wave black-light.)

Pseudo-Scientific term--- the skin oils form a hydrophobic barrier that prevents the ink from getting onto the paper and also gunks up the tip of the nib, lol!

BTW, Beautiful Y-o-L collection you have. Maybe someday, sigh...

All the Best.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

14. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 7th, 2020)

Thanks

So I did all the tricks but I finally looked at the feed through a loop and it's hard to tell exactly what is going on but it looks ripped up. I compared it to another Yard-o-led I have and it definately looks like a problem. I just love the way this pen writes so I'm leaning towards sending it to Birmingham, despite the cost. I would think they'd do the best job for me.