Thread: Installing a new J bar questions...

Thanks

Default Installing a new J bar questions...

I got a Summit S125 recently and the J bar crumbled when I was removing the sac. So I decided to replace. When placing the new J bar it doesn't seem to fit with the edge against the barrel. I'm hesitant to push it further as I won't be able to remove it if I'm not doing it right. Please see photo. Any suggestion on what to do next?

sum.jpg

Thanks

Default Re: Installing a new J bar questions...

My suggestion is to shape and trim the new J-bar to resemble the original as much as possible. Sometimes this means shaping the spring portion of the bar, and you can get away without trimming. Sometimes you need to trim the part a bit to fit properly as well. Think of the modern, generic J-bar as a starting point and not a "drop-in" part and go to work shaping and trimming until you have something that can stand-in for the original. I can count on one hand the number of J-bars I've had that could just "drop-in" and fit. Almost all of them have had to be modified somewhat to match the original.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-VIgo View Post
    My suggestion is to shape and trim the new J-bar to resemble the original as much as possible. Sometimes this means shaping the spring portion of the bar, and you can get away without trimming. Sometimes you need to trim the part a bit to fit properly as well. Think of the modern, generic J-bar as a starting point and not a "drop-in" part and go to work shaping and trimming until you have something that can stand-in for the original. I can count on one hand the number of J-bars I've had that could just "drop-in" and fit. Almost all of them have had to be modified somewhat to match the original.
    The off the shelf one is a two part pressure bar. However the orignal is a one part. Would you remove the second part?

Thanks

Probably not - you want that second (the flat/plate) part to press on the sac, so I would leave it on the bar. I would look at the rear of the spring portion first (the "tail" if you will) that sticks way up into the end of the barrel. Many times what you're describing is the result of the bar being "pinched" by the barrel at the very end, forcing the front (the part by the mouth of the barrel) downward.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

top pen (January 16th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

The two piece ones work better in my very limited experience.