Thread: Parker 15 Cap Disassembly Instructions Needed

Thanks

Default Parker 15 Cap Disassembly Instructions Needed

Hi,

Does anyone have instructions on how to take apart this cap?

It's extremely loose (shaking the pen vigorously will uncap it) and I'm thinking of putting some clear tape around the inner cap to make it fit tighter around the section.

it seems to be put together very similarly to the Frontier, in which the inner cap comes out if you pull the clip straight up, but I'd rather not experiment.

Thanks!

Alex
    parker15-cap.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Default Re: Parker 15 Cap Disassembly Instructions Needed

From the Parker service manual:

"To disassemble the cap (MIXY 15), stand the cap upright on the bench. Drive the inner cap out of the cap by using the knockout pin and mallet." Note that the manual does not tell you whether you can reuse the inner cap, or if it is a more or less permanent removal, with a new inner cap needed to reassemble the cap and have it stay together.

My guess though is that the "clutch" of the cap is a set of 2 or 3 bumps in the cap that grip the edge of the section and hold the cap on. We have had some success in dropping boiling water in the cap, and letting it sit there for 30 seconds or so. This heats the plastic and allows the bumps of the "clutch" to take on their original shape - more or less. You could try it two or three times....

I would not knock the inner cap out, and then heat it with dry heat to accomplish this. With a heat gun's higher temperature, you are far more likely to melt and distort the inner cap if you do, than using boiling water, which will be about 210 F.
    Last edited by Ron Z; January 16th, 2020 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks

You'll probably have to look for a donor pen. They are and used Vectors are in general the cheapest used Parker's. You probably can get a used one for under £5 and swap the inner cap. But unless it has any sentimental I'd just consider replacing the pen as new examples can be found around £7.

Thanks

Thanks Ron! I'm going to try your suggestions.

Alex

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by top pen View Post
    ... a donor pen. They are and used Vectors are in general the cheapest used Parker's. ...
    Aren't Vectors completely different pens? The nibs and sections are different and the inner cap uses a screw to stay inside the cap. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

alex

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexwi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by top pen View Post
    ... a donor pen. They are and used Vectors are in general the cheapest used Parker's. ...
    Aren't Vectors completely different pens? The nibs and sections are different and the inner cap uses a screw to stay inside the cap. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

alex
    What I meant was they are in general the least expensive used Parker pens. With the Vector and Parker 15 being produced for roughly 40 years and still counting. You should be able to pick up a donor pen for very little.

Thanks

Ah! Got it. Yeah. So far nothing's showing up on ebay for anywhere around $10, but I'll keep me eyes open.

Thanks Top Pen!

Alex

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    From the Parker service manual:

"...My guess though is that the "clutch" of the cap is a set of 2 or 3 bumps in the cap that grip the edge of the section and hold the cap on. We have had some success in dropping boiling water in the cap, and letting it sit there for 30 seconds or so. This heats the plastic and allows the bumps of the "clutch" to take on their original shape - more or less. You could try it two or three times....
    This worked! It's not what I'd call tight to cap/uncap, but it's waaaaay better than it was. Poured hot water from the kettle into the cap 3 times, 30 seconds each time, like you suggested. I can't believe it didn't take me a year to get to this.

Thank you Ron!!!!

Alex

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Good! Glad it worked! Its about the only thing we can do with that clutch system. There is no way that I want to try to make a new inner cap with those bumps in it.

I should add that I wouldn't recommend this for all caps and plastics. But the softer plastic that is often used for inner caps like this can handle the heat and shouldn't warp at boiling temperatures VS the temperature of the air from a hot air gun - which can seriously damage the plastic before you know it.
    Last edited by Ron Z; January 22nd, 2020 at 04:22 PM.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.