Thread: Kaweco Dia II - Modern Production

Thanks

Default Kaweco Dia II - Modern Production

Any opinions on the Dia II. It looks interesting to me, and my wife is asking what I'll be wanting for my birthday in a few weeks. The price seems a little steep for a converter pen, but a converter pen can be perfectly as well made as anything else can be. Do the nibs run fine or broad for their size? I write with Pelikan "F" nibs, which I find to be kind of a medium-fine level, which is what I like. Any opinions on the trim - gold versus chrome in terms of quality and appearance?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Kaweco Dia II - Modern Production

If a pen review is worth a look Laura and I reviewed the modern Kaweco Dia 2 here
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

I have one, a gift from my wife for Christmas a few years ago. About the size of an M200. The clip is very strong and solid, no fear of it letting go. The pen itself is well made with a very solid feel to it, not a cheap soft plastic, with a nice weight to it. Metal section threads, and and a brass thread bushing in the barrel, so the barrel threads won't strip. The nibs are the same used in Kaweco Sport, and the ones I've had have been very nice writing. The one in my Dia is very nice writing - but then I tweek the nib on every pen I get. It doesn't dry out if not used for a while. I don't think its been empty since I got it. My only complaint is that the nib itself is a little on the small size. Line width on the XF nibs runs a little wide IMO.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    I have one, a gift from my wife for Christmas a few years ago. About the size of an M200. The clip is very strong and solid, no fear of it letting go. The pen itself is well made with a very solid feel to it, not a cheap soft plastic, with a nice weight to it. Metal section threads, and and a brass thread bushing in the barrel, so the barrel threads won't strip. The nibs are the same used in Kaweco Sport, and the ones I've had have been very nice writing. The one in my Dia is very nice writing - but then I tweek the nib on every pen I get. It doesn't dry out if not used for a while. I don't think its been empty since I got it. My only complaint is that the nib itself is a little on the small size. Line width on the XF nibs runs a little wide IMO.
    I agree that the Kaweco nib looks a little on the small side, but otherwise it feels like a nice well-balanced pen.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I like mine quite a bit and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

The fit and finish are good. It is a brass body pen and so it weighs on the heavy side like a Metropolitan, not absurdly heavy like a Studio.

It looks and feels to be of good quality. I don't think it's expensive for what it is. I got mine with an F but ended up buying an EF because I prefer that line width. I felt both were about the right width for the rating.

Thanks

Great - they look like a nice, traditional type pen. It sounds like the lines run a bit wider than stated size, so maybe an F nib for me. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

I can also say that I like the new Kaweco Dia II.
    I had a chance to try it out at a local stationery store and I like the writing experience.

Of course, I like the look already because they keep it faithful to the original design.
    But aside from wishing that it's a piston filler (like the original), it's one of the few modern pen that I wouldn't hesitate to get given the opportunity and fund.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I had a chance to try it out at a local stationery store and I like the writing experience.

Of course, I like the look already because they keep it faithful to the original design.
    But aside from wishing that it's a piston filler (like the original), it's one of the few modern pen that I wouldn't hesitate to get given the opportunity and fund.
    Would you mind sharing at which local stationary store you had the chance to try out the Dia II? I live in the DFW area and would like to see one in person before making a decision. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Cavitt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

Would you mind sharing at which local stationary store you had the chance to try out the Dia II? I live in the DFW area and would like to see one in person before making a decision. Thanks!
    Ah, a fellow DFW resident. Have we met yet?

The store is called ... hang on... Read Between the Lines.
    It's in the Legacy West shopping area in Frisco, which is a nice area to visit anyway because there are so many things going on there.

Here's one of their internet footprints: https://legacywest.com/directory/rea...een-the-lines/
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens