Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pen drawer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Default Re: Pen drawer

Quote Originally Posted by DumDum View Post
    It's a thought for the future. Asked here, cos where else. On a nother note, one would think that among a base of peeps who profess to a love of writing instruments and writing that there would be a certain delight in playing with the language. Apparently not. Are there other recommended pen/writing sites [bear in mind I'm a old person with fairly low level of computer skills] where p'raps I would find a better fit?
    No-one's said a word about your written accent for ages. What brought this on? There was someone else here who was forever taking the huff and threatening to leave us. I do hope you're not going the same way. There are a couple of other pen boards still active but one doesn't archive and the other is.. well.. Fountain Pen Network. I would never advise anyone to go there.

Stick around. We can put up with you if you can put up with us, humourless curmudgeons though we may be - with no interest in language.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Just to clarify, I count myself amongst the curmudgeons on certain days and in certain ways. Who else would use such an archaic mode of written communication?
    I apologize if any have taken offense to my use of that descriptor, unless of course, you need to be offended.
    I use a fountain pen and a paper planner - paperinkplan.wordpress.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to countrydirt For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 31st, 2020)

Thanks

No offence taken. If I was offended I would have said so but I'm not one of the many these days who live to take public offence.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 31st, 2020), countrydirt (January 31st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    There are a couple of other pen boards still active but one doesn't archive and the other is.. well.. Fountain Pen Network.
    Talking of curmudgeons......
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (January 31st, 2020), Deb (January 31st, 2020)

Thanks

No-one's said a word about your written accent for ages. What brought this on? There was someone else here who was forever taking the huff and threatening to leave us. I do hope you're not going the same way. There are a couple of other pen boards still active but one doesn't archive and the other is.. well.. Fountain Pen Network. I would never advise anyone to go there.

Stick around. We can put up with you if you can put up with us, humourless curmudgeons though we may be - with no interest in language.

One special member has taken it on themselves to have a pop whenever opportunity knocks. Even to the point of sending a nasty notification [some of what didn't make a whole lot of sense, but they are an old person like me, so prolly some age related issue going on]

What's the prob with Fountain Pen Network? I have not signed up to it, tho' rummaging thru it's internet drawers [so to speak] it looks like here only with more persons (maybe they're wassocks?) and actual rules. Why advice against it? [if it's a gnarly subject then just say so and I won't ask again]

Any road up, it's getting late. Washing day tomorrow, tho' forecast says it's looking black over Bill's mother so may have to hang stuff in the garage. Allus takes an age to dry there tho'.
    "Whenever you are about to find fault with someone, ask yourself the following question: What fault of mine most nearly resembles the one I am about to criticize?"
    ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Thanks

What's the prob with Fountain Pen Network?
    There isn't one. It is more active and, at least from what I have seen, the quality--and civility--of discussion is good.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

The last post was not pointing a finger at Fermata - who, without breaking a confidence by going into detail (because he/she asked me not to, despite their own reveal above), actually sent me a very helpful message.

The nasty message was from a different guy. I do apologise if what I had written was not clear.

edited for grammatical clarity.
    Last edited by DumDum; February 5th, 2020 at 10:49 PM.
    "Whenever you are about to find fault with someone, ask yourself the following question: What fault of mine most nearly resembles the one I am about to criticize?"

Thanks

I'm only a junior member here and have just got back from a lengthy overseas assignment, so haven't been keeping up with events of late. This thread though was of interest to me at first blush because I have limited living space to store stuff, and so clever storage options are a thing I occasionally keep an eye out for. Some good suggestions so far, though none are quite flat AND sturdy enough for my needs. Don't know what happened on this page as it seems to be heading off on an unrelated tangent. None of my business of course.

Thanks

One special member has taken it on themselves to have a pop whenever opportunity knocks. Even to the point of sending a nasty notification [some of what didn't make a whole lot of sense, but they are an old person like me, so prolly some age related issue going on]

What's the prob with Fountain Pen Network? I have not signed up to it, tho' rummaging thru it's internet drawers [so to speak] it looks like here only with more persons (maybe they're wassocks?) and actual rules. Why advice against it? [if it's a gnarly subject then just say so and I won't ask again]

Any road up, it's getting late. Washing day tomorrow, tho' forecast says it's looking black over Bill's mother so may have to hang stuff in the garage. Allus takes an age to dry there tho'.
    There have been several problems with FPN over the years. The owner took a hissy fit and kicked a lot of people out quite unjustly about seven years ago. That seemed to be part of a process of turning FPN into a commercial entity. Much of the real expertise about vintage pens disappeared elsewhere at that time. That has continued, though on a lesser scale. Some of the admins are - to put it mildly - difficult to deal with.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Bzzer (February 6th, 2020)

Thanks

There have been several problems with FPN over the years. The owner took a hissy fit and kicked a lot of people out quite unjustly about seven years ago. That seemed to be part of a process of turning FPN into a commercial entity. Much of the real expertise about vintage pens disappeared elsewhere at that time. That has continued, though on a lesser scale. Some of the admins are - to put it mildly - difficult to deal with.
    This is my experience also. So many truly excellent and knowledgable people will have nothing to do with the site which seems to have more than its fair share of posters who want to cause conflict and argument. I can remember one person who openly said,'I like to cause arguments because, lets face it, we have nothing better to do'. Another poster told a first class pen repairer that the only reason that he said some work was difficult was because he wanted the job.

Another man was kicked off because they said his helpful repair and review videos were just a front for his pen sales, and yet FPN continues to show at least one of his videos. I could go on.

Thanks

Fermata owes me an apology. He/she posted a mean accusation against me and then deleted it without explanation after I had made it clear that he/she has misunderstood a previous post. [I also sent them a private message pointing out who had sent me a nasty notification, but Fermata has chosen to take the path of least courtesy or integrity.] If people took responsibility for what they posted then there would be considerably less conflict on many web fora (forums?).

I haven't bothered with FPN. The sign up procedure looks lengthy and intrusive.

And thanks for the suggestions thus far regarding the pen drawer situation.

Thanks

If the post with this accusation has been deleted then what is your problem?

Sounds like you just want to be the center of attention, another drama queen.

Thanks

This has got nothing to do with me, except for me asking about the tangent in an early post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I'm only a junior member here and have just got back from a lengthy overseas assignment, so haven't been keeping up with events of late. This thread though was of interest to me at first blush because I have limited living space to store stuff, and so clever storage options are a thing I occasionally keep an eye out for. Some good suggestions so far, though none are quite flat AND sturdy enough for my needs. Don't know what happened on this page as it seems to be heading off on an unrelated tangent. None of my business of course.

Just figured out how the quote function works, does it matter if you delete parts of the quote - with respect to it still linking to the original?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Cigar boxes?

I used to get mine at yard sales.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

I don't tend to go in there because I made the mistake of becoming too friendly with one of the admins. As you say, some of them can be quite difficult and I am glad I did not accept their offer to become one myself.

Thanks

It's a pity. FPN had the potential to become something useful but there was an air of paranoia right from the start.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

I have multiple pen boxes - made from humidors, and from those nice boxes that teabags come in. (Ask a local cafe if you can have their throwaways.) The most difficult thing is the pen inserts - you can use the ones from GoPens but you can also use dowels and cover them with felt or leather to make the hollows for the pens, or make wooden dividers.

Why multiple boxes? One for each pen - one for Waterman Lady, one for Lamy 2000, one for Kaweco Sport, one for my Platinums and one for my Pelikans. The Pelikan one is getting a bit small now. :-)

The problematic thing for me is finding where to put my *ink*!