Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pen drawer

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

Default Re: Pen drawer

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Mine are in jam jars. I have another use for the drinking glasses. Hic!
    I have a LOT of glasses.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

a) Impressed that you use the word jam jar

b) Greta would be proud of us, jam or in my case marmalade jars are one of the most useful things about the house, even putting a spare key for the house inside a jam jar and buried in the garden for those occaisions when we find ourselves lock out for some reason. Also very useful for screwing the lid to the underside of garage shelves and then storing nuts, bolts screws and washers and other useful things.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Oh, good! Then you can diversify.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post

b) Greta would be proud of us, jam or in my case marmalade jars are one of the most useful things about the house, even putting a spare key for the house inside a jam jar and buried in the garden for those occaisions when we find ourselves lock out for some reason. Also very useful for screwing the lid to the underside of garage shelves and then storing nuts, bolts screws and washers and other useful things.
    I suppose elsewhere it might be a jelly jar but jelly is not an equivalent of jam here. In truth, jam is not as popular as it once was and to be accurate, what I store my pens in are a cut-glass ornament of similar shape and size to a jam jar, and a jar that briefly held olives though it's near identical to what the more boutique sorts of jams that Tesco offer come in.

I have various other recycled containers for parts of project pens (the ones that may never be finished.)
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

I suppose elsewhere it might be a jelly jar but jelly is not an equivalent of jam here. In truth, jam is not as popular as it once was and to be accurate, what I store my pens in are a cut-glass ornament of similar shape and size to a jam jar, and a jar that briefly held olives though it's near identical to what the more boutique sorts of jams that Tesco offer come in.

I have various other recycled containers for parts of project pens (the ones that may never be finished.)
    Thanks, I wondered if Jam and Jelly were quite the same.

I only have jam with scones and thats so rare nowadays, although tea, toast and marmalade start each day.

I have heard that during the 1950s cinemas used to accept two empty jam jars for admission.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,371 Times in 3,981 Posts

Also very useful for screwing the lid to the underside of garage shelves and then storing nuts, bolts screws and washers and other useful things.
    I really like that tip. Thank you.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Thanks, I wondered if Jam and Jelly were quite the same.

I only have jam with scones and thats so rare nowadays, although tea, toast and marmalade start each day.

I have heard that during the 1950s cinemas used to accept two empty jam jars for admission.
    I've heard that. How about empty ink bottles as currency? That would make me well-to-do!
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Also very useful for screwing the lid to the underside of garage shelves and then storing nuts, bolts screws and washers and other useful things.
    I really like that tip. Thank you.
    I am at a severe risk of being called a mansplainer here but if you do fit some glass jars to a shelf a hopefully helpful tip is to use two screws through the lid and those screws should be short and fat with a large head, 3mm width by 10mm length is plenty. Using a hole punch through the lid before you start helps the process

Thanks

Is there a place/person from whom one can obtain those corrugated ridged doodads that go in the drawers? Can't find none in the high street shops.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

gopens.com

Thanks

Was hoping for something a smidge more local, but ta muchly anyhow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DumDum View Post
    Was hoping for something a smidge more local, but ta muchly anyhow.
    Try calling these people

https://www.writeherekitenow.co.uk/

They are in Shrewsbury, in addition to pen stuff he also does art suppiles and its possible that some craft card may work for you, tell him what you want it for, he is a good bloke and will understand.

There are some new products in artists drawing pens that need to be stored horizontally, I can imagine that someone has brought out a storage product that could work for pens. My art supplies shop has a dark varnished wooden chest, about 18 inches wide and 3 feet high and 12 inches deep, you open a drawer and it is full of artists pencils, colour coded, one drawer per colour and shaded light colours on the left with graduated shading to dark on the right.

It gives me pleasure just to look at it.

There used to be an art supplies shop in Smith Street in Warwick, if they are still open give them a try.

If all else fails I have a lidded display box that holds about 15 pens.
    Last edited by Fermata; January 23rd, 2020 at 08:29 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

DumDum (January 23rd, 2020)

Thanks

May have to make a trip to Warwick for a looksee. [I'm a bit north of the city and don't get down there much]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DumDum View Post
    May have to make a trip to Warwick for a looksee. [I'm a bit north of the city and don't get down there much]
    This looks like it could do the job for you

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-12-24-....c100008.m2219

Thanks

If you're able to run a knife against a straightedge and do some simple measuring, it's easy enough to make some zigzag style dividers. Eager to be environmentally aware (or what used to be known as "cheap"), I used cardboard from canned drink multipack boxes as I happen to have them around and they're good sturdy stuff. Then went mad and blew the budget on some self adhesive velour to make them look fancy. Affordable drawers may be found in the form of A4 paper/document storage drawers - a set of five will readily take a hundred pens, in my experience. Unless they're deep drawers, in which case if you can make insert trays and virtually double that.

Why buy storage when you can buy pens?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 26th, 2020), FredRydr (January 24th, 2020)

Thanks

I purchase srtackable pencil/pen boxes on Amazon, BTSKY large capacity pen boxes, then line them with felt or other thick material. I use them for storage as I keep my active pens in a Lihit zippered pen case. One for regular ink and one for shimmering inks. The boxes store well because the interlock when stacked. I have labeled my boxes yet but plan to soon. This is an inexpensive way of storing large quantities of pens.

Thanks

It's a thought for the future. Asked here, cos where else. On a nother note, one would think that among a base of peeps who profess to a love of writing instruments and writing that there would be a certain delight in playing with the language. Apparently not. Are there other recommended pen/writing sites [bear in mind I'm a old person with fairly low level of computer skills] where p'raps I would find a better fit?
    "Whenever you are about to find fault with someone, ask yourself the following question: What fault of mine most nearly resembles the one I am about to criticize?"
    ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Thanks

Seems to me like you fit in well with the riff-raff here. Some don't have a sense of humor or patience, but I run into that in the real world as well. I like yer wordsmithing. Don't stop and don't let the real curmudgeons drive you away.
    I use a fountain pen and a paper planner - paperinkplan.wordpress.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Cigar boxes also double as pen storage. Some of them have a nice cedar smell and work for pens with no or minor modification. I have 6 boxes so far.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Cigar boxes also double as pen storage. Some of them have a nice cedar smell and work for pens with no or minor modification. I have 6 boxes so far.
    +10 I've got a 4 cigar leather case for EDC. Beautifully soft and fits in a shirt pocket