Thread: Lee Child passes his Reacher writing baton to his brother

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Lee Child passes his Reacher writing baton to his brother

Lee Child is going to stop writing his popular Jack Reacher books and his author brother will continue to write them.

BBC News here
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (January 19th, 2020), BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 20th, 2020), soretailedcat (January 19th, 2020), VertOlive (January 19th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: Lee Child passes his Reacher writing baton to his brother

That reminds me that I need to read some more of those.

Thanks

I don't think it is going to work. The brother will have his own idiolect and won't be able to write the same Reacher.

Robert B. Parker died and the much flogged ghost writers can't get the banter between Spenser and Hawk right. The new authors probably have never been in a relationship like that or have never seen one and don't understand it. It could be that the editors can't fathom it and keep throwing a wrench in the gears.

It is the same problem with John D. McDonald's Travis McGee series, and both of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and Nigel Loring series. They tried with Edward E. (Doc) Smith's Lensman series and that fell flat as a stomped flounder.

They will sell a few thousand books until the reading public rumbles the scam and the ghost writers become, to quote Raymond Chandler, "a banana peel on the steps of progress".
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

Stands on Feet (January 20th, 2020)

Thanks

I'm not 100% sure about it either. Apparently they are going to write the next couple together then the brother will take over.
    Still, it will be much better than killing off Reacher altogether.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 20th, 2020 at 02:20 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 20th, 2020)

Thanks

The Tom Clancy novels written by the successors have been just as good, so count me as another optimist.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 20th, 2020)

Thanks

I’ve found the later books in the Reacher series to be very disappointing, so much of the same old thing... same basic story, just different location, slightly different bad guys. It had gotten to the point where i had given up on reading any more of his books. I’m hopeful that this will bring the Jack Reacher series back to it’s previous quality. Time will tell.

Thanks

Some author transitions work, others don't. I think successful transition has more to do with how good the successor is at writing than how well they can replicate the voice and style of the original author. If Child's brother is a good story teller it won't matter if he changes some of what made Reacher great (which as others have mentioned, had started to become a bit formulaic).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mulrich View Post
    Some author transitions work, others don't. I think successful transition has more to do with how good the successor is at writing than how well they can replicate the voice and style of the original author. If Child's brother is a good story teller it won't matter if he changes some of what made Reacher great (which as others have mentioned, had started to become a bit formulaic).
    Exactly. Vince Flynn passed away, but Kyle Mills has continued the Mitch Rapp series of novels. He's done a pretty good job. No reason to automatically think that a continuation of the Reacher novels is going to fall on its face just because the writer changes. Regardless of the writer, Hollywood needs to stop casting a midget in the role of a giant.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mulrich View Post
    Exactly. Vince Flynn passed away, but Kyle Mills has continued the Mitch Rapp series of novels. He's done a pretty good job. No reason to automatically think that a continuation of the Reacher novels is going to fall on its face just because the writer changes. Regardless of the writer, Hollywood needs to stop casting a midget in the role of a giant.
    I don't believe that there are plans to make any more Hollywood movies out of the Reacher stories when it becomes an Amazon series.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 24th, 2020 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks

I didn't know it's becoming an Amazon series. That's actually not bad in my opinion. It's too tough to put an entire book into a 2 hour movie. But breaking a book up into a dozen 30 minute episodes over a season would be sufficient.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 587 Posts

Well, if it's anything like Bosch, it will be a mishmash of multiple books with a few aberrations tossed in here and there -- and Bosch had the advantage that Michael Connelly was a producer of the series. Amazon's Jack Ryan is also pretty different from Tom Clancy's, not to mention nothing like the real Jack Ryan, Harrison Ford.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Yeah. I think Jack Ryan is taking some liberties with the character's involvement in operations, but they did appear to hold onto the character's back story. For a Marine, the Harrison Ford version of Jack Ryan was rather clueless and lacking talent in a fight.

Thanks

The last Jack Reacher novel, “Blue Moon,” didn’t have the usual ‘Reacher’ vibe to it. It seems out of character that he would go that far in the book. (I don’t want to give up any spoilers, so I’ll leave it at that). I wonder if this book was a writing experiment with his brother to see how it would work.
    B_

Thanks

I've read from Jack Reacher #1 The Killing Floor to Jack Reacher #24 Blue Moon.

Number 25 The Sentinel is listed in goodreads, and has an Amazon UK listing with a October 27, 2020 release date.

From the goodreads listing for The Sentinel:

Lee Child:

“I love my readers and know they want many, many more Reacher stories in the future. I would love to make that promise, but realistically I’m aging out of being able to keep it. A few more, maybe, but not many, many more. So I have decided to pass the baton to someone who can keep that promise. I chose the best tough-guy writer I have read in years - my brother Andrew Grant. We share the same DNA, the same background, the same upbringing. He’s me, fifteen years ago, full of energy and ideas. He was the first to read Killing Floor all those years ago, and was the world’s first Reacher fan. We’re going to work on the next few together, and then he’ll strike out on his own. I’m excited to read what he comes up with, because I’m betting it will be great. If I’m Reacher, then so is he. Maybe more so. Trust me – this is going to be the real deal.”

Andrew Grant:

“When I first read Killing Floor, I was blown away. Not just by the propulsive writing, or the suspense, or the action. But by Jack Reacher himself. Before I’d even learned his name I thought, I know this guy. I get him.The way his mind worked, the things he did, his moral compass, they all made sense to me. And the more time I spent with him in each new adventure, the more I craved the next. So I know what it’s like to wait for the new Reacher novel. I’ve lived with the anticipation. I understand what Reacher fans want – because I am one. And I’ll do my best to deliver for them. I’ll have to. Because my big brother will be watching...”
    Last edited by 85AKbN; February 2nd, 2020 at 01:35 AM.

Thanks

It would seem that the BBC and Goodreads quoted the same information.