Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General MacArthur's pen

Thanks

Default General MacArthur's pen

National Geographic.com posted an article on General MacArthur that includes a photo of him signing the surrender document aboard USS Missouri (BB-63) with his Parker "Red."

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/h...&sf227949955=1
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

Thanks

Default Re: General MacArthur's pen

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post
    National Geographic.com posted an article on General MacArthur that includes a photo of him signing the surrender document aboard USS Missouri (BB-63) with his Parker "Red."

Could you please post the picture here? I don't have a subscription to National Geographic, therefore it will not let me view the article.

I recently read some #parkerpen posts on Instagram that showed correspondence between the owner of Parker and General Eisenhower. He mentions his appreciation for the pens he was given and even names a few Generals whom he is going to give them to. Parker actually made a special exclusive color of 51's just for Eisenhower. I believe it is a khaki color. Really interesting the relationship the two had.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Linkinyeah For This Useful Post:

welch (February 2nd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Linkinyeah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post

Could you please post the picture here? I don't have a subscription to National Geographic, therefore it will not let me view the article.

I recently read some #parkerpen posts on Instagram that showed correspondence between the owner of Parker and General Eisenhower. He mentions his appreciation for the pens he was given and even names a few Generals whom he is going to give them to. Parker actually made a special exclusive color of 51's just for Eisenhower. I believe it is a khaki color. Really interesting the relationship the two had.

I don't have a subscription either but clicking on the link brings up the article for me. Are you maybe blocking links? Or maybe try using the computer rather than Tapatalk?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Didn't work for me either.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Worked for me too. Perhaps it's only people outside the US who can view these pages without a subscription.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Worked for me too. Perhaps it's only people outside the US who can view these pages without a subscription.
    You're right, but maybe it's North America instead of the US. I can't see the article as a Canadian, but if I use a VPN through Southampton, I can see it.

Hal

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 794 Posts

Well anyway here is the picture:

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 2.12.34 PM.png

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

85AKbN (February 3rd, 2020), awa54 (February 4th, 2020), Chrissy (January 21st, 2020), Linkinyeah (January 21st, 2020), pajaro (January 25th, 2020), Robert (January 21st, 2020), Scrawler (February 7th, 2020)

Thanks

Sorry to rain on the Parker parade.....
    https://history.stackexchange.com/qu...orld-war-ii-an

Thanks

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7WZQwhj...d=chnmh789jna6

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7QPbtUD...d=7ridgsa2cxs0

Really interesting the relationship between Kenneth Parker and Eisenhower. I would like to see a up close picture of the special 51's made for Eisenhower. Has anyone ever seen one?
    Last edited by Linkinyeah; January 21st, 2020 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks

I wonder if these are the special 51's? Screenshot_20200121-191658_Instagram.jpg

Thanks

Really interesting the relationship between Kenneth Parker and Eisenhower. I would like to see a up close picture of the special 51's made for Eisenhower. Has anyone ever seen one?

There is some ongoing research on these pens and the validity of certain assumptions is being checked. It is also noted that the letters shown on the instagram pics are not original, there is some anotation.
    Last edited by Fermata; February 2nd, 2020 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post

There is some ongoing research on these pens and the validity of certain assumptions is being checked. It is also noted that the letters shown on the instagram pics are not original, there is some anotation.
    Do you know where these letters and annotations originally came from? A Parker book or website?

Thanks

I dont know where the annotated letters came from, I am no historian but I would have thought that it is poor praqctice to annotate an original document. I have a PDF of the original letters from the Eisenhower Presidential Library, a copy of the letters has been sent to Pennant for wider discussion.

The pen that I am really interested in is the P51 that was given to Andrew Cunningham which is now in the Greenwich Naval Museum. The museum pen has a reference to 1943 inscription and is in a 40s Parker box to which has been attached a gold inscribed plate, also noting the gift from Ike to Cunningham, However, that pen is a Aero Cocoa, which doesnt make much sense. I dont believe that an aero cocoa can have existed,even in prototype form, in 1943. Therefore, an option may be that two 51s were given to Cunningham, the second being 7 years later. Eisenhower made a European tour in the early 1950s and, I am clutching at straws here, maybe a second 51 was given at that time showing a 1943 inscription. I have seen a February 1944 letter from Cunningham to Ike thanking him for the pen and also saying that he was looking forward to a lunch at the Athenium in London the following day, that comment would suggest that Eisenhower would also be present at the lunch.

I think some work needs to be done and ideally see another of the gifted 1943 51s. Elsewhere it has been suggested that these handful of pens where in a unique color and described as khaki tan and had their own filling system, which hints at aerometric and not vacumatic. I would be interested in knowing if a very small run one off color could have been undertaken, in practical terms, and whether Parker might have had an aero 51 in development as early as 1943 when there was a huge demand for a Vac 51.

Not that I am betting man but I would wager on Cunningham being given two 51s, 1944 and 1951 and he or Ike had the second one inscribed to match the earlier pen, the inspription reads - Andrew, Mediterranean Allied Team '43 Ike.

Hate to say this but for a Presidential Gift the insription looks a little amateurish.

There is no sign of a blind cap even when dialling up the magnification.

https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collec...cts/63184.html
    Last edited by Fermata; February 2nd, 2020 at 02:56 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (February 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

I dont know where the annotated letters came from, I am no historian but I would have thought that it is poor praqctice to annotate an original document. I have a PDF of the original letters from the Eisenhower Presidential Library, a copy of the letters has been sent to Pennant for wider discussion.

The pen that I am really interested in is the P51 that was given to Andrew Cunningham which is now in the Greenwich Naval Museum. The museum pen has a reference to 1943 inscription and is in a 40s Parker box to which has been attached a gold inscribed plate, also noting the gift from Ike to Cunningham, However, that pen is a Aero Cocoa, which doesnt make much sense. I dont believe that an aero cocoa can have existed,even in prototype form, in 1943. Therefore, an option may be that two 51s were given to Cunningham, the second being 7 years later. Eisenhower made a European tour in the early 1950s and, I am clutching at straws here, maybe a second 51 was given at that time showing a 1943 inscription. I have seen a February 1944 letter from Cunningham to Ike thanking him for the pen and also saying that he was looking forward to a lunch at the Athenium in London the following day, that comment would suggest that Eisenhower would also be present at the lunch.

I think some work needs to be done and ideally see another of the gifted 1943 51s. Elsewhere it has been suggested that these handful of pens where in a unique color and described as khaki tan and had their own filling system, which hints at aerometric and not vacumatic. I would be interested in knowing if a very small run one off color could have been undertaken, in practical terms, and whether Parker might have had an aero 51 in development as early as 1943 when there was a huge demand for a Vac 51.

Not that I am betting man but I would wager on Cunningham being given two 51s, 1944 and 1951 and he or Ike had the second one inscribed to match the earlier pen, the inspription reads - Andrew, Mediterranean Allied Team '43 Ike.

Hate to say this but for a Presidential Gift the insription looks a little amateurish.

I am very interested as well. Thank you for your time in posting. Will you please keep this thread posted as to any developments? I wonder who made the Instagram posts. I am going to check into that.

Thanks

I am very interested as well. Thank you for your time in posting. Will you please keep this thread posted as to any developments? I wonder who made the Instagram posts. I am going to check into that.

I would be pleased to keep you posted.

There is a name on the instagram posts, that person has been banned from FPG as far as I know and also on FPN under an alias.

Thanks

There are page numbers in the Instagram posts, so the information comes from some resource. I am a historian, and I don't think annotations are inappropriate, as long as they have evidence to back them up.

Thanks

It appears these letters come from the following source. I can't find access to the book to find out more. Maybe someone here can.

Eisenhower, D. (1970).*The papers of Dwight David Eisenhower.*The war years*;*III.*P. 1569-1570

Thanks

I have the letters as a PDF but I havent a clue as to how I post a PDF on here, can anyone assist?

Thanks

Not sure about the ethics of providing a link for the work of a banned member but is you google Ken Parker Ike Eisenhower Foro Estilograficas there is some additional information.

Thanks

I have the letters as a PDF but I havent a clue as to how I post a PDF on here, can anyone assist?
    I sent you a pm