Thread: Parker VP, switching from one nib to another, correct procedure?

Thanks

Default Parker VP, switching from one nib to another, correct procedure?

My apologies if this question has been asked and answered already.

I have a VP with a fine nib, I have purchased a larger/mediu nib to try (and because I seem to be drawn to having nib choices!). I've been unable to find a video or a site page describing the proper procedure to remove or install a nib on the VP. I've seen one forum entry that said to pull the nib straight out and another that said you hold the filling mechanism and threaded section in one hand while unscrewing the nib with the other.

Does anyone have experience swapping nibs on a VP, or know of a video or definitive site page describing the process? I've also searched in vain for a scan of the owner's pamphlet that came with the pen. I was lucky to buy mine in mint condition, but neither a box nor pamphlet was included.

Thanks so much for any and all help!

Thanks

Default Re: Parker VP, switching from one nib to another, correct procedure?

Would this help?
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...move-nib-unit/

That thread claims that the nib unscrews, but the filler unit has to be in place and that unit is very fragile. The recommendation is to use a torx screwdriver in place of the filler unit.

Hal

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stands on Feet For This Useful Post:

seattlec257 (January 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Yes, that's very helpful! I posted a reply on that thread asking what size Torx; I have a 6 I needed to swap a hard drive on my laptop but that may be too small.

Thanks

Hey Seattlec257,

If you truly are in Seattle, we have a pen club that meets monthly at the north end of the lake. There is a fledgling sub-group that does vintage. PM me for details, and I can meet you at one and demonstrate nib unit removal on one of my VP's. The filler unit, originally designed to slide out for filling, truly is delicate. Didn't look at the link above, but the number of VP's with snapped off fillers tells me that some soaking and care in removing the filler is the place to start. Never had an issue where I felt the need to insert a splined tool. Often, there is enough friction to remove nib unit with the filler removed if things aren't too glued together with old ink.

Take care, Bob

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Seattleite For This Useful Post:

seattlec257 (January 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seattleite View Post
    Hey Seattlec257,

If you truly are in Seattle, we have a pen club that meets monthly at the north end of the lake. There is a fledgling sub-group that does vintage. PM me for details, and I can meet you at one and demonstrate nib unit removal on one of my VP's. The filler unit, originally designed to slide out for filling, truly is delicate. Didn't look at the link above, but the number of VP's with snapped off fillers tells me that some soaking and care in removing the filler is the place to start. Never had an issue where I felt the need to insert a splined tool. Often, there is enough friction to remove nib unit with the filler removed if things aren't too glued together with old ink.

Take care, Bob
    Hi Bob,
    Yes, I'm in Seattle. Thank you for the offer of a demo. I was able to very carefully switch nibs without breaking anything. Please do tell me more about the pen club though, sounds interesting!
    Thanks again, Carolyn