Thread: Star ruby vs gold marbled 200's

Thanks

Default Star ruby vs gold marbled 200's

I have been pen shopping and was able to see the Star Ruby and the Gold marbled pens together in the flesh.

From photos, I'd thought I would probably prefer the Star Ruby. In fact, it was the gold marbled which drew my eye, and which I will probably end up buying. The swirl is rich, the colours are magnificent, and the white piston knob and cap make it a good match for my m400 white tortoise.

But my pen budget just went on two pens with gorgeous custom bindes. Lucky on ebay!

Which of the m200s and m205s are other Geeks' favourites?

Thanks

Default Re: Star ruby vs gold marbled 200's

White sections make me nervous, so the gold and upcoming green hold no allure at all. Although it took a white 205 and the tortoise to finally admit they weren't for me.

My favourite is the Café Crème - no idea why Pelikan haven't repeated that contrasting solid colour theme to other colours, but then that's pen companies for you. Also have a sneaking love of the all black in either trim, simply because you really get a chance to appreciate the shape of the pen.

Thanks

I know what you mean about the black. I just got a Pelikan 100N in solid black (except for the cap top, which being ebonite has gone a bit brown) - you really see the shape of the pen, no distractions. And Pelikan make a very shiny black indeed, a hundred miles off the matt black that gives Lamy its character.

Thanks

I tend to forget I have a Ruby Star 200 (I expected a little bit more glitter) ...I have that in B. I don't reach for it often.

I have my EF marbled brown in my pen cup in it's a nib I used to edit. My Petrol M is in the pen cup also.

I have come to like M nibs.

Neither the Ruby Star or my Amethyst get the use they could............but when one has 90 pens something has to give.
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; September 30th, 2021 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

The M2xx series is simply too small for me to comfortably use. Makes pen budgeting a little easier!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

200/400 have great balance ... posted. And are not too short.

I can see folks saying a tad thin....if so then the 600 posted balances very well, and has that thicker girth.

I find the 800 and 1000 a bit short, un-posted and ill balanced posted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    White sections make me nervous, so the gold and upcoming green hold no allure at all. Although it took a white 205 and the tortoise to finally admit they weren't for me.

My favourite is the Café Crème - no idea why Pelikan haven't repeated that contrasting solid colour theme to other colours, but then that's pen companies for you. Also have a sneaking love of the all black in either trim, simply because you really get a chance to appreciate the shape of the pen.
    I really wish I could buy a Cafe Creme... they're gorgeous. But my favorite right now is the Pastel-Green. I didn't think I'd like it. The white section worried me; I'm not a fan of gold trim, etc. But I utterly adore it. I'm about to clean out most of my other pens because I've been using it almost exclusively for weeks now.
    Another Pen Geek!
    www.peninvestigations.com

Thanks

The Gold Marbled does go well with the White Tortoise.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin_Ute For This Useful Post:

amk (December 24th, 2021)