Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Platinum Curidas

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Platinum Curidas

I just got mine today, and I really like it. I have the medium nib as well. It's great for shading so far, and I'm just using the cartridge that came with it. I got the clear one. It's fun. It really brightened my spirits to get it today. Yesterday I got my Lamy Candy pens, and my stickers from the Stickii Club (Retro and Pop, Japanese, and Celestial packs), as well as three inks: Kyoto Tag Sakura whatever (can't remember the name), Taccia light blue, and 3 Oysters Red Wine.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

fountainpagan (April 14th, 2020), VertOlive (April 14th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    A review-ette or rambling in The Other Place has combined with that video to dim my enthusiasm quite a bit. The thing is, quite frankly, fat. The lure of gizmocity may not outweigh the girth. Length is not nearly such a problem - am I the only one ever to have clicked a retractable pen open or shut by clicking it against my person in the region of the sternum?
    My concern over clicker length wouldn't be opening it but the awkwardness of carrying something that long - combined, ironically, with a graspable body that may be too short because so much of the length has gone into the clicker.

Thanks

Bruno Taut wrote an interesting article on the Curidas last week. This is Part 3 of his coverage (with links to his previous articles on this pen):

http://estilofilos.blogspot.com/2020...-analysis.html

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

iosepus (April 18th, 2020), VertOlive (May 31st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post
    A review-ette or rambling in The Other Place has combined with that video to dim my enthusiasm quite a bit. The thing is, quite frankly, fat. The lure of gizmocity may not outweigh the girth. Length is not nearly such a problem - am I the only one ever to have clicked a retractable pen open or shut by clicking it against my person in the region of the sternum?
    My concern over clicker length wouldn't be opening it but the awkwardness of carrying something that long - combined, ironically, with a graspable body that may be too short because so much of the length has gone into the clicker.
    Most of my fountain pens live at home, so it's not a problem for me.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post
    Most of my fountain pens live at home, so it's not a problem for me.
    Likewise.

I'm also guessing ilikenails is a male of the species and thus is provided with pockets in his garments in which to carry things such as pens (of usual proportions). Being female, the clothing industry has decided that pockets are too complicated for my feeble mind and I would be hard-pressed to carry a bus ticket.

A couple of Curidases (Curidae?) have appeared at a more tempting price on ebay in the last week or so, but I found myself able to resist in both cases. So I think I am, at the moment, cured of Curidas curiosity.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

I'm also guessing ilikenails is a male of the species and thus is provided with pockets in his garments in which to carry things such as pens (of usual proportions). Being female, the clothing industry has decided that pockets are too complicated for my feeble mind and I would be hard-pressed to carry a bus ticket.
    I understand that's set to change with this year's Paris collections -

Tres post-apocalyptique pour le covid dix-neuf!
    Last edited by ilikenails; April 15th, 2020 at 06:14 AM.

Thanks

Magnifique! Mais oł sont les masques?

Thanks

Magnifique! Mais oł sont les masques?
    Certainement!

Last edited by ilikenails; April 15th, 2020 at 07:25 AM.

Thanks

I got my Curidas yesterday and so far I am liking it. The M nib is pleasant and the pen feels mostly nice in the hand. The under nub can bother my support finger, but the edge of the section on a 3776 does that as well. I just have to learn to hold slightly farther back and it's comfortable to use. The clip position makes the clip a non-issue I don't notice it while writing unlike the VP. I can see the Curidas taking up home in the pen slot of my cargo shorts. I'm not going to sell off my VP's but I may use the Curidas more then them.

Thanks

I've lived with my Curidas for a few weeks now, and it's definitely a keeper. I've written quite a few pages with it, and I'm still on the first converter fill. Also, I've noticed that if it's not used for two or three days, it starts right up. All things considered, I have no complaints.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (May 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Dunno of anyone else has seen this, but it seems there are reports of a bit of bother with cracked feeds in the Curidas. A solution is apparently being sought, so owners might want to keep an eye out in case of a recall or other remedy that's offered in due course. Got to feel sorry for Platinum; launching a brand new pen in the middle of a pandemic, and then this.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (May 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Dunno of anyone else has seen this, but it seems there are reports of a bit of bother with cracked feeds in the Curidas. A solution is apparently being sought, so owners might want to keep an eye out in case of a recall or other remedy that's offered in due course. Got to feel sorry for Platinum; launching a brand new pen in the middle of a pandemic, and then this.
    I saw several reports and videos of cracking in the feed. Waskisquirrel discovered a crack on his while doing a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz_99bPQEkM&t=425s

One report says a retailer found cracks in 50% of his stock and sent them back.

It remains to be seen whether Platinum didn't have QC on this pen, adequate testing, or knew and sent them out anyway. It will be interesting to see how Platinum and retailers handle this situation.

Thanks

I believe the Curidas may be purchased for $80 at Pen Chalet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgphoto View Post
    I saw several reports and videos of cracking in the feed.
    And had you taken the time to share that, you could have saved me and my 0.26Mbps connection a lot of trouble. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

And had you taken the time to share that, you could have saved me and my 0.26Mbps connection a lot of trouble. Thanks.
    I only saw these "reports" in the last three days, same places mentioned here. And other than through Waski yesterday, none of the info was first hand. This isn't old news, as far as I am aware. But I am usually behind the curve.

Honestly, that pen has looked like too much brittle plastic from the first time I saw it, and with moving plastic parts under some strain. How long is it likely to last, anyway?

Waski's picture of the cracked feed makes that build look like a POS to me for $80. But that is just me. I say send it back, get your money back, and don't buy another one.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks

That's one of the reasons I never buy a pen or just about anything else until it's been out for a while. I remember a line I heard when I was young referring to the opening of the Western territories in the early 1800s. "Scouts get the arrows." I prefer others to test drive and get the arrows.

As I'm not a fan of clickers I was made aware of the Curidas problem just yesterday when Waskisquirrel did his video. Then a little searching revealed many with the same problem.

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

Has Platinum fixed the problem with Preppy caps cracking? And now another example. The lesson may just be not to by inexpensive Platinum pens?
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks

I haven't bought one, I was just trying to do a public service by passing on the info for the benefit of the membership. It appears others might have been as public spirited yesterday, or three days ago, and with considerably less trouble than I had. Sadly it seems dead horse flogging in threads of no value is more important on this forum these days.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

I haven't bought one, I was just trying to do a public service by passing on the info for the benefit of the membership. It appears others might have been as public spirited yesterday, or three days ago, and with considerably less trouble than I had. Sadly it seems dead horse flogging in threads of no value is more important on this forum these days.
    okie dokie

Thanks

Platinum Curidas--The Woes Continue

https://www.gentlemanstationer.com/b...atinum-curidas

25. The Following User Says Thank You to sgphoto For This Useful Post:

grainweevil (May 31st, 2020)