Thread: Montblanc Roller Ball Problem

Thanks

Default Montblanc Roller Ball Problem

My son just gave me a 70th birthday present of a MB PIX 116577 roller ball. It is gorgeous to look at and hold, and will make a useful counterpart to the MB fountain pens I use every day.

The problem is that I cannot unscrew the back of the pen to get to the cartridge. It appears stuck fast and I do not want to force it. What can be done?

I have not said anything to my son as it would cast a dark cloud over a thoughtful and wonderful gift. I could take it in to the local MB store, but I am hoping that there is a simple solution I can do at home.

Many thanks.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Re: Montblanc Roller Ball Problem

Try wearing rubber gloves when you try to unscrew it, and hold it very close to where the screw threads are. If that doesn't work then take it to your Mb store and ask them to unscrew it.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Thanks Chrissy. I did consider that, but I do not want to force the screw/join. It may have "welded" itself and forcing it will damage it. I was wondering if there was a penetrating oil or similar to use first. Mild heat - hairdryer or hot water?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks

I had the same problem. The glove works.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post
    Thanks Chrissy. I did consider that, but I do not want to force the screw/join. It may have "welded" itself and forcing it will damage it. I was wondering if there was a penetrating oil or similar to use first. Mild heat - hairdryer or hot water?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    The problem with heat/hot water is that you will heat both parts. I wouldn't be tempted to put any penetrating oil or anything like that on there.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Syd Saperstein sells a penetrating lube that he created for his vintage Wahl projects, where celluloid, aluminum alloy and hard rubber stubbornly stick together. I would think your injection-molded acrylic or resin plastic would suffer no damage. I used some and it did the job separating an ebonite Wahl barrel from the aluminum sleeve of the section. Alas, the bottle leaked until it was empty, so I was unable to use it on other items. I've since been advised by another pen restorer that it's the same as widely available Blaster penetrating lubricant, but I haven't tested the truth of that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Syd Saperstein sells a penetrating lube that he created for his vintage Wahl projects, where celluloid, aluminum alloy and hard rubber stubbornly stick together. I would think your injection-molded acrylic or resin plastic would suffer no damage. I used some and it did the job separating an ebonite Wahl barrel from the aluminum sleeve of the section. Alas, the bottle leaked until it was empty, so I was unable to use it on other items. I've since been advised by another pen restorer that it's the same as widely available Blaster penetrating lubricant, but I haven't tested the truth of that.
    I don't know if it will have a brass screw thread inside. If so, I would take it to Mb before trying anything else like penetrating lubricant as using that may invalidate their warranty.
    If they can't get it unscrewed, they will just replace it.

Thanks

Many thanks for the replies. I do hope to avoid any damage to the barrel as it is inscribed. It is brand spanking new, so back to MB it will go (after my son has left for home - he lives inter city).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks

I just watched a You Tube video on this pen and it has a metal screw thread inside. Because it's a RB what I would do is to remove the cap, then roll it between my hands for a moment or two so that it warms slightly. That might make it more amenable to the rubber glove unscrewing treatment.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

If you want to use a hair dryer to warm it up, just make sure to keep your fingers in the way, so that they are heated as much as the barrel. If you can manage not to make your fingers hurt, the barrel will only be warmed.
    --
    Mike