Thread: Evaluating nibs

Thanks

Default Evaluating nibs

Brand new to this addiction and considering putting in a bid on this pen (which would be my first “real fountain pen”). I love the look of vintage pens, but have noticed that many of them have this look, or the gold plating worn off the nib. Does it affect the way they write, or just the way they look?

I’ve learned a lot from this forum already, thanks for your patience with a totally new convert.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Evaluating nibs

Hello and welcome. If a nib was originally gold plated on steel and the plating wears off, then it's only cosmetic and doesn't affect how the nib writes. If you find vintage pens with gold nibs then their gold colour won't wear off.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

tooth (January 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Hey Tooth,

As Chrissy states, the nib appears to be plated. May be a competent writer, but likely not spectacular, as these were not always crafted to the highest standards, often being in lower priced offerings. Is it in a Moore fountain pen? That is really the question, as the nib is of negligible value on its own, and may, or may not be correct for the pen you are looking at. Can you post a shot of the entire pen?

BTW, there is a Pen Club in Seattle, with a sub-group that focuses on vintage pens and their repair. PM me for info, if you like.

Bob

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Seattleite For This Useful Post:

tooth (January 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks for the ideas Bob. The pen was a Moore, but I ended up not putting a bid in. Will keep looking.

Thanks

More so than the condition of the plating, I watch for corrosion on vintage steel nibs, I've seen nibs with rusted nib slits that won't write at all and have also seen nibs that showed small spots of pitting on the upper surface which had actually come through from underneath... the pinhole on top had a corresponding *huge* rust hole on the underside.

Another thing to look for in older steel nibs is the type of tipping, that Moore nib looks like it has welded-on "iridium" pellet tipping, but there are types where the steel tine ends are just rolled under or twisted sideways to create the writing surface... those can be decent enough writers, but more often are worn, or *worn out* and it's harder, or sometimes even impossible to polish or regrind them, compared to iridium tipped nibs, which are less likely to have bad wear and can often be smoothed to become decent writers again, even if they do have substantial wear.
    David-

So many restoration projects...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to awa54 For This Useful Post:

tooth (February 4th, 2020)