Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EVERYDAY CARRY SET

Thanks

Default Re: EVERYDAY CARRY SET

MB Honorē de Balzac

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawker800 For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (February 6th, 2020), mpbounds (February 16th, 2020)

Thanks

A confession:- I admit to following some of the American prepper websites. The gear some people have is incredible! Bags full of technical gadgetry, knives, survival tools, and so on. Being a bit techy I also have a few gadgets and have a kind of faux EDC set up. Mind you, if the stuff gets used it's perhaps more real than faux. Well, one of the reasons I got a Lamy 2000 in the first place was that it promised to be reasonably sturdy, as fountain pens go, and not likely to be too fazed by being carried with a pocket knife/multitool and a flashlight. In terms of writing tools alone my EDC kit is generally the Lamy 2000 and a mechanical pencil or lead holder (depending on where I'm going and what I'm expected to do when I get there). Usually there's a small Nalgene bottle full of ink knocking around in my backpack - the ink is normally Perle Noir, and the bottle tends to be in a ziplock bag just in case (the backpack gets treated a bit rough at times). There's no specific pen/pencil case. Most of the small stuff goes into a Maxpedition fatty - a mil-spec organiser pouch (HERE for those interested). While I do take reasonable care of my tools, nothing gets babied (is that a word?).

Pictures!

From left to right,
    Bottom row: hex key, mini pry bar, haemostat, Kohinoor lead holder, Lamy 2000, Fenix flashlight, bundle of ziplock bags and plastic ties, about 30m of paracord, a rag, tape measure, boo boo kit (first aid for small injuries and some meds).
    Top row: EMT shears, spare keys on a wire closeable loop, a Sanrenmu framelock knife (surprisingly good quality there), Leatherman Skeletool CX, Lansky sharpening tool.

That was the latest loadout. It does change from time to time, and I have other pouches with more extensive first response kit, and electronica (leads, chargers, HD storage and so on). Also, my backpack has some internal organisation that usually is occupied with at least a couple of Uniball Jetstream ballpoints and a Sharpie - all black as I've no need of colours in my work.

Sorry if that goes beyond the remit of the OP.... enthusiasm you see.

ps. I make the paracord zip pulls and stuff myself. Not too demanding.
    Last edited by Dave; February 15th, 2020 at 03:09 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    ...survival tools, and so on....
    Which is your survival ink for your 2000? Iron gall should last longer than most of us will survive so long as it doesn't precipitate out. Or 65-year-old bottles of Parker GI microfilm ink.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I'm attempting 2P&2I (two pens and two inks for the year): Pilot 823 (PO)/Noodler's Black and Pilot Falcon (SEF)/Noodler's Lexington Gray, with a Pilot #10 PO Special Dispensation (if I could find an inexpensive transplant recipient (I bought a #6 Jowo housing that fits the Pilot nib and feed for this quest)).

Eighteen days in (15 of 2020, cos I needed a bit of a runway to make sure the plan took off), P823/NBlk remained and the P912 (PO) took the Falcon's place, same ink. A week later, I changed the gray for KWZ Zielonozłoty galusowy, and so these have been my two pens.

I'd ordered a Moonman C2 #6 F, which I was able to test only - what day is it? Thursday. Okay, so two days ago.

The Jowo housing? Didn't fit. I wasn't heartbroken; I knew there was a possibility that the nib wouldn't fit.

Except... What if I tried the nib only with the Moonman feed and housing?

So far so good. Seems to run a tad drier with the Moonman feed, but not deal-breaking dry.

I brought along my Danitrio Komori, cos Joe Grasty at flexible nib also makes Bock housings for a couple of Pilot nibs. Just have to order the housings.

Satisfied so far with the PO nib in the Moonman. I'm calling it Pilot Moon.

Thanks

To answer FredRydr, if that is a serious question I will say that I don't have a need for anything I write to survive in a specific form. Pencil will do just fine. If it is a humorous question... if I had to use an ink the possibly one of the Platinum Carbon nano jobs would do the trick. By the way, I have never heard of "Parker GI microfilm ink", so I looked it up. Quite interesting, though it sounds similar to the Platinum stuff I mentioned except for the inclusion of the solvent.

Good for you, ethernautrix. I've only really used one fountain pen all last year (and other writing tools where dictated by situation). I suppose it depends quite a bit on what you are doing and why.

Thanks

Default EVERYDAY CARRY SET

Right now

Pilot Elite 95s EF (deep red/ivory) with De Atramentis Document Blue ink

70’s Korean Pilot Elite EF (Black/gold very springy steel nib) with De Atramentis Document Black ink

Kaweco Skyline Sport EF with De Atramentis Document Black Ink Cartridges (I refill the cartridges but always have a couple fresh ones on hand)

Those are normally in a shirt pocket or pants pocket.

Platinum Balance Fine (black/gold) with De Atramentis document black ink in jacket pocket or bag

Platinum Preppy EF (Blue Eydropper Mod) with De Atramentis Document Blue ink in Jacket pocket or bag
    (If I can find one I would like to replace this with a blue Platinum Balance Fine for carrying in the pocket hopefully my mom listens to my birthday wishes)

Platinum Preppy EF (Red Eyedropper Mod) with Noodler’s Empire Red carried in a bag or journal.

My minimum is the Elites in my shirt or jacket pocket.

Happy Writing

-Michael
    Last edited by mpbounds; February 14th, 2020 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks

A beat up looking gold Parker 61 Insignia for most writing and an inexpensive Cross Century ballpoint just in case.

Thanks

This week

Visconti FP and Rollerball

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JParanee For This Useful Post:

Hawker800 (February 16th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Good for you, ethernautrix. I've only really used one fountain pen all last year (and other writing tools where dictated by situation). I suppose it depends quite a bit on what you are doing and why.

I'm trying to end the pencrastination.

I mean, it's obvious to me which pens I typically reach for first. And second. And most others, when inked, just make me wonder, "What about this ink in that pen? What about...? What about...?" I want to cut that "step" out.

Meanwhile, still trying to get the nibs and pens and inks right -- cos I bought Bock housings for 1) Pilot #10 nib and 1) Pilot Falcon nib (but the latter was the wrong one; at least my PF nib didn't fit, which is okay, cos Joey Grasty already sent another one. We'll see.).... SO... currently:

Pilot 823 (PO)/Noodler's Black (no change)
    Pilot Falcon (SEF)/Akkermann Blue-Black (IG, I think) (I want this nib in the Danitrio Komori)
    Danitrio Komori (Pilot #10 PO)/Noodler's Lexington Gray
    Moonman C2 (fpnibs #6 steel PO/F)/KWZ Zielonozłoty galusowy

I really like the P823 and Moonman configurations. If the Bock housing that's on its way fits, then I'll put the PF (SEF) nib in Komori... probably with Akkerman Blue-Black or the KWZ ink. And then I'll wait for a Nakaya housing that can take the PIlot $10 PO nib (probably will have to be a custom job).

And maybe put Noodler's Black in Moonman, cos that fpnibs PO/F nib is wonderful for drawring.