Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Name Brand Pen Repair

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: No Name Brand Pen Repair

Bummer about the other place's blockage. So, copy and pasted from the linked page (dated 2008):
    National
    Good Service (also made by Parker)
    Webster (though there were at least 5 different makers and 3 different Webster brands)
    Diamond Medal (also made by Parker)
    Big Ben (short lived Sears pen)
    Gold Bond
    Gold Medal
    Gold Metal (yes, different spelling, and imprinted with the C.E. Barrett Co. name - appear to be 1940s styling).
    Lakeside
    Wardright
    Lincoln (though there was an earlier Lincoln as well)
    New Lincoln
    C.E. Barrett
    Lincoln
    Gold Crown
    Good Service oversize flattops
    Acme
    Gaylord

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Bunk2019 (February 2nd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bunk2019 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    The butterscotch/gold pen is very attractive. I might try filling that hole in the cap with layers of artist's acrylic resin, then black paint.

We had a bunch of no-name clipless, finial-less beaters that became nice little writers.
    I really like that one, too. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll give that a shot! What sort of paint should I use? Could the resin be colored instead of painted?
    You could indeed color the 'resin' first by mixing it with some black acrylic paint. Acrylic tends to run a bit transparent, so be forewarned.

I have also used that squeezy stuff kids use to paint lines and designs on t-shirts, for smaller holes and cracks, and also to affix a small gem chip to a clipless pen to act as a roll stop.

I've forgotten the name of the resin, and I may not have any more on hand, but the terms 'artist modeling gel/paste' lurk in my mind.

Oh, look! I found this reference.
    Last edited by Sailor Kenshin; February 2nd, 2020 at 06:55 AM.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

The hole in the top of the cap with a ring around it indicates a missing ring top crown. .

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Bunk2019 (February 2nd, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (February 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks so much! I think I'll zip out to the craft store this afternoon and see if I can find something that will work!

Thanks

Thanks so much. I found a blog post with photos of two pens that were nearly identical to my green "Clifford" pen. It appears that it was made by National Pen and is identical to the Gold Medal Comrade style pen. Here's a link to the blog photo: http://oldfountainpensjustforfun.blo...edal-pens.html . http://oldfountainpensjustforfun.blo...edal-pens.html

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

You can also colour resin with powder pigments.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Thanks. I can't seem to join the Fountain Pen Network. Their very rigid registration protocols have marked me as a spammer and there is no redress for this except to create a new email address just for the forum. Annoying.

I (re)applied for FPN membership about 6 months back and the turn around on processing new member requests was several weeks at that time. Since there is apparently only one moderator doing this, it might still take a while for you to get your approval

On the subject of your project pens, it might be a good buy to find a "box-o-pens" lot on Ebay, having parts donor pens is pretty much the only way to fix the issues those have.
    David-

So many restoration projects...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Your first one is a Packard. There is nothing missing on the finials, they really look like that. Out of the batch, this is the one that is most complete (assuming the nib is not corroded). And the celluloid material is pretty.

Your second one maybe an Onward, if I recall that's made by David Kahn, the owner of a pen company that made many brands including Wearever. There is no replacing that missing nib with that hole, you can use two part epoxy to fill the gap, sand it and paint it, or attach a rollstopper of some kind.

Your third one is a Diamond Medal Comrade. Good luck finding the clip, it's very rare to be found intact, which is why yours is missing, it probably broke off from the top or broken in two (quite delicate, that clip). The nib looks to be original and it is 14K gold, making it the most valuable of all four pens' nibs.

Your fourth one is a... I have no clue, I can't make out anything from the photo that I recognize from the nib engraving. Also can't tell without the clip or engraving on the barrel. The shape is generic flattop without the top. It could be either National, or Kreko, or Arnold, or ...
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

12. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Your first one is a Packard. There is nothing missing on the finials, they really look like that. Out of the batch, this is the one that is most complete (assuming the nib is not corroded). And the celluloid material is pretty.

Your second one maybe an Onward, if I recall that's made by David Kahn, the owner of a pen company that made many brands including Wearever. There is no replacing that missing nib with that hole, you can use two part epoxy to fill the gap, sand it and paint it, or attach a rollstopper of some kind.

Your third one is a Diamond Medal Comrade. Good luck finding the clip, it's very rare to be found intact, which is why yours is missing, it probably broke off from the top or broken in two (quite delicate, that clip). The nib looks to be original and it is 14K gold, making it the most valuable of all four pens' nibs.

Your fourth one is a... I have no clue, I can't make out anything from the photo that I recognize from the nib engraving. Also can't tell without the clip or engraving on the barrel. The shape is generic flattop without the top. It could be either National, or Kreko, or Arnold, or ...
    Thanks, Will. Re: the last pen . The nib reads Velvet Point 6 which I think means it's a spoon nib and thus a third tier pen, per Richard Binder's Glossopedia. I spent some time last night cleaning it up and removing the sac. The section doesn't seem right to me. Someone on this thread pointed out what appeared to be a crack in the photograph but, upon inspection, was actually one of two mold lines. When I removed the sac and cleaned up the nipple, I discovered that the nipple wasn't smooth but had three ridges. The entire section feels "wrong" like new plastic instead of old material. Are these clues to the origin of the pen or just evidence of its journey through time?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

The butterscotch/gold pen is very attractive. I might try filling that hole in the cap with layers of artist's acrylic resin, then black paint.

We had a bunch of no-name clipless, finial-less beaters that became nice little writers.
    I think it is a Wearever. It looks similar to mine but mine is intact and it's a button filler. Instagram changed their code so I can't find the image link to inline the image but here is a link: https://www.instagram.com/p/8T5-lFCD..._web_copy_link
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

15. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Bunk2019 (February 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Pentooling, I think, has some oddball vintage parts for sale.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Bunk2019 (February 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

What a beautiful pen! Thanks for sharing the photo. I thought it was possible mine might be a Wearever but the only ones I've seen so far that resembled it were button fillers.

Thanks

I jumped in tonight and pulled the JBar out of the "Clifford" pen but, guess what, it's not a JBar! It's a pressure bar. With a hinge at the end. And the retainer is still inside at the back of the barrel where it belongs. And I can't figure out how to remove it so that I can reassemble the mechanism. I can see that the retainer does have a pin pointing downwards, away from the lever mechanism, but I can't make out the sides. But, I learned a TON tonight about pressure bars, Wahl Doric pens and a lovely green Lincoln that has a very similar pressure bar mechanism. Here's a photo of my pressure bar. IMG_0953 copy.jpg

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bunk2019 For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (February 4th, 2020), Scrawler (February 7th, 2020)

Thanks

I asked Mr. Kenshin. He did one button-filler with a pressure bar, says, 'Removal varies.' :-/

He has a book...Pen Repair, by Marshall and Oldfield. In the meantime what about Richard Binder's site? (And that is also a very pretty pen!)
    Last edited by Sailor Kenshin; February 4th, 2020 at 07:37 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Bunk2019 (February 4th, 2020)

Thanks

I asked Mr. Kenshin. He did one button-filler with a pressure bar, says, 'Removal varies.' :-/

He has a book...Pen Repair, by Marshall and Oldfield. In the meantime what about Richard Binder's site? (And that is also a very pretty pen!)
    Thanks so much for the suggestions, Sailor. I have DuBiel's book but haven't sprung yet for the Marshall/Oldfield book. Richard Binder's site has been very helpful but I'm either not searching the correct thing or he doesn't have any advice about this type of pressure bar. But, I'm loving the challenge of finding information! I am really in love with my little green pen. Can't wait to get it working!

Thanks

Is this any help?

Some blog post on pressure bars.

Good luck...this is a fun venture.

Thanks

Thanks again, Sailor! I enjoyed reading the blog post but it's not quite the right kind of pressure bar for my pen. Mine isn't a j-bar at all. It is a flat piece with a hinged bit at the end that has a hole drilled in it. The hole is for a small pin in a little bit called a retainer that lodges in the end of the pen. The pin allows the hinge to slide up and down as the lever depresses the bar and fully compresses the ink sac. The Wahl Dorics have a similar mechanism but they appear to be a little more complicated. I've found one other person with a similar system on a Lincoln pen (which was suggested as a possible manufacturer for my unbranded pen by someone up thread).

Here's the Doric example: https://www.pm-pens.com/2018/05/18/l...-a-wahl-doric/

Here's the Lincoln pen FPGeeks posting: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...ssure+retainer

Here's a picture of the retainer inside the pen barrel which looks like the one in my pen. https://imgur.com/a/jIC42

Chasing the rabbits down their holes is such a fun game for me! I can't believe what I've learned so far!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

Thanks, Will. Re: the last pen . The nib reads Velvet Point 6 which I think means it's a spoon nib and thus a third tier pen, per Richard Binder's Glossopedia. I spent some time last night cleaning it up and removing the sac. The section doesn't seem right to me. Someone on this thread pointed out what appeared to be a crack in the photograph but, upon inspection, was actually one of two mold lines. When I removed the sac and cleaned up the nipple, I discovered that the nipple wasn't smooth but had three ridges. The entire section feels "wrong" like new plastic instead of old material. Are these clues to the origin of the pen or just evidence of its journey through time?
    Per your description, the section is not original to the pen.

As far as I know there is no ebonite section that has mold line because those are turned on a lathe not stamped and fused. My suggestion is to keep it, later on if you come upon a spare ebonite section that is roughly the same size and dimension, you can swap it. But there are nuances on this also, even if the replacement fit snugly into the barrel, it also has to have the same length, otherwise, it won't fit inside the cap.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

27. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Bunk2019 (February 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks, Penwash. I didn't think about trying to find an older section and switching it out later on. I'll keep my eyes open and see what comes my way!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

It is a lever filled pen. Substitute a standard J bar.