Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Pelikan blue-black questions...

  1. #1
    Senior Member awa54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 74 Times in 49 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Pelikan blue-black questions...

    I recently read that Pelikan blue-black wasn't being imported to the US anymore, I'm wondering if this is indeed true and if so, why it isn't?

    The 30+ year old bottle on my shelf (haven't filled a pen from it in at least 20) has thrown a gritty sediment in the bottom of the bottle and the remaining ink had lightened up to a pale blue-gray as of ten years ago, but now evaporation has continued and the remaining liquid is much darker than original. That sort of behavior implies that the formula at that time might have been an iron gall ink? was it ever an IG and is it now?

    TIA for any info!
    David-

    So many restoration projects...

  2. #2
    Senior Member silverlifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    125
    Thanked 237 Times in 108 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    It was originally:

    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

    Ahriman4891 (February 7th, 2020), awa54 (February 2nd, 2020), calamus (February 5th, 2020), Yazeh (February 4th, 2020)

  4. #3
    Senior Member awa54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 74 Times in 49 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    mine's a bit newer than that bottle

    various unconfirmed sources seem to think it's IG lite these days and contains some unlisted chemical that the US Gov. hasn't confirmed the safety of, but the places I found this all seem to be if not cut-and-pasted from one source, at least paraphrased...
    David-

    So many restoration projects...

  5. #4
    Senior Member silverlifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    125
    Thanked 237 Times in 108 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    If the bottle you have is 30 years old, I would imagine it is IG. Relevant info here: https://thepelikansperch.com/2016/04...e-black-story/
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Central Coast, California
    Posts
    200
    Thanks
    282
    Thanked 263 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    If you check the Vanness website after the Washigton DC pen show, you can usually score a bottle or two of Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black. I think they do some horse-trading with other international vendors during the show. I was able to buy a bottle right after the DC show. I think there were only 2 cases because a couple weeks later they were sold out. You can still see the place-holder on the Vanness website.

    Linky: https://vanness1938.com/collections/...kan-blue-black

    All the Best.
    Last edited by junglejim; February 2nd, 2020 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

  7. #6
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    2,996
    Thanks
    631
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,318 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    If you check the Vanness website after the Washigton DC pen show....
    They will be at the Baltimore-Washington Pen Show February 28 to March 1, 2020.
    http://baltimorepenshow.com/information/exhibitorslist/

  8. #7
    Senior Member carlos.q's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    On a hill in Puerto Rico
    Posts
    1,202
    Thanks
    1,153
    Thanked 1,040 Times in 472 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    Pelikan 4001 blue-black has iron gall:
    https://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar...ment-proof-ink

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

    awa54 (February 3rd, 2020)

  10. #8
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    6,100
    Thanks
    2,984
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 2,046 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Pelikan 4001 blue-black has iron gall:
    https://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar...ment-proof-ink
    Agree. I always knew it to be an iron gall ink too.

    @OP I hope you decided against using the contents of your bottle in a fountain pen....
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  11. #9
    Senior Member awa54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 74 Times in 49 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    [QUOTE=Chrissy;281797]
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    @OP I hope you decided against using the contents of your bottle in a fountain pen....

    Oh yeah, that gunk in the bottom of the bottle will never see the inside of a pen! I might rehydrate it and do a swab just to see what the color is like after having thrown so much precipitate (probably the iron?), but after that it's going down the drain.
    David-

    So many restoration projects...

  12. #10
    Senior Member calamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Redwoods Rainforest
    Posts
    832
    Thanks
    700
    Thanked 681 Times in 337 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    It was originally:

    What a gorgeous bottle! I've seen "vintage" ink bottles fetch surprisingly (to me) high prices of late; I suspect you could get a pretty penny for yours if you ever decide to sell it.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

  13. #11
    Senior Member calamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Redwoods Rainforest
    Posts
    832
    Thanks
    700
    Thanked 681 Times in 337 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    I bought a bottle of 4001 Blue-Black on eBay from a dealer in Japan. It was very reasonably priced and had free shipping. It's one of my favorite inks.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (February 6th, 2020)

  15. #12
    Senior Member silverlifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    125
    Thanked 237 Times in 108 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    It was originally:
    What a gorgeous bottle! I've seen "vintage" ink bottles fetch surprisingly (to me) high prices of late; I suspect you could get a pretty penny for yours if you ever decide to sell it.
    Not mine, sadly. A member on FPN found it in a museum in South America and shared it. I just reposted it here as I thought others would find it as fascinating as I did
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

  16. #13
    Senior Member AzJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Flagstaff
    Posts
    654
    Thanks
    857
    Thanked 622 Times in 266 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    You can buy it from european sellers on eBay and get it shipped.

    I have a few bottles that I picked up when I was in Germany last year. I can confirm to the ink being iron-gall. Not sure where this idea that it isn't IG got started, but its very obviously false. Anyone that uses it can see it go down on the page an almost royal blue that quickly becomes a blue-black as it dries.

  17. #14
    Senior Member awa54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 74 Times in 49 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    You can buy it from european sellers on eBay and get it shipped.

    I have a few bottles that I picked up when I was in Germany last year. I can confirm to the ink being iron-gall. Not sure where this idea that it isn't IG got started, but its very obviously false. Anyone that uses it can see it go down on the page an almost royal blue that quickly becomes a blue-black as it dries.

    I remember quite a few years back there was a forum thread (not certain *which* forum) on the formula being changed, at the time there was much speculation around whether the reformulated version retained IG content or not, I've been less active on the forums for quite a while, so hadn't chased down the truth of the matter and was interested to finally know for sure.

    for a "banned" item it's very easy to come by, just not on the shelf of any mainstream brick & mortar stationers in my area.

    As a side note, there are also plenty of non-iron gall inks that change color very noticeably as they dry, some are even dark blue...
    David-

    So many restoration projects...

  18. #15
    Senior Member AzJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Flagstaff
    Posts
    654
    Thanks
    857
    Thanked 622 Times in 266 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by awa54 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    You can buy it from european sellers on eBay and get it shipped.

    I have a few bottles that I picked up when I was in Germany last year. I can confirm to the ink being iron-gall. Not sure where this idea that it isn't IG got started, but its very obviously false. Anyone that uses it can see it go down on the page an almost royal blue that quickly becomes a blue-black as it dries.

    I remember quite a few years back there was a forum thread (not certain *which* forum) on the formula being changed, at the time there was much speculation around whether the reformulated version retained IG content or not, I've been less active on the forums for quite a while, so hadn't chased down the truth of the matter and was interested to finally know for sure.

    for a "banned" item it's very easy to come by, just not on the shelf of any mainstream brick & mortar stationers in my area.

    As a side note, there are also plenty of non-iron gall inks that change color very noticeably as they dry, some are even dark blue...
    IIRC, there was talk of reformulation so it could still be imported to the States. Pelikan decided otherwise.

    I am aware that other inks change color a bit, but not like this. It's not going from blue to a bit darker blue. It looks like it goes from Pelikan Royal Blue to Tanzanite. Actually, side by side, one would be hard pressed to tell which is the Tanzanite (which goes onto the page dark) and the B/B once on the page.

  19. #16
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    6,100
    Thanks
    2,984
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 2,046 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    I suspect that it can be bought VAT free on Amazon.de or even Amazon.co.uk and shipped fairly inexpensively to the US.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    carlos.q (February 6th, 2020)

  21. #17
    Senior Member stub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Daegu, Korea
    Posts
    1,061
    Thanks
    224
    Thanked 767 Times in 395 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    Pendimonium sometimes still has it.

  22. #18
    Senior Member carlos.q's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    On a hill in Puerto Rico
    Posts
    1,202
    Thanks
    1,153
    Thanked 1,040 Times in 472 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I suspect that it can be bought VAT free on Amazon.de or even Amazon.co.uk and shipped fairly inexpensively to the US.
    The last two bottles I bought were from Amazon.co.uk

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (February 6th, 2020)

  24. #19
    Senior Member The Good Captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Shropshire, Great Britain
    Posts
    370
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 247 Times in 100 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    Loads of places this side of the Atlantic sell it so just find the cheapest seller to get it from. Simple!
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to The Good Captain For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (February 7th, 2020)

  26. #20
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    6,100
    Thanks
    2,984
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 2,046 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Pelikan blue-black questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by The Good Captain View Post
    Loads of places this side of the Atlantic sell it so just find the cheapest seller to get it from. Simple!
    That's what I would do.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •