Thread: Okina papers

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Okina papers

I recently discovered paper and envelopes for correspondence that I like, made by a Japanese firm, Okina. I was in a brick and mortar shop where a tablet caught my eye. It had a retro '60s "Air Mail" cover. The paper is a traditional lightweight almost onionskin for airmail, and has faint lines imprinted just to the margins (see below). It is B5 size at 18 x 25cm. Okina airmail envelopes to accommodate the B5 paper are also available. Fountain pen inks that I've used so far have not bled through or feathered.

The largely Japanese-language company website is: http://www.okina.co.jp I was unable to find the same tablet with the retro cover, but what appears to be the same paper with a different cover is Eternal or Princess. The matching envelopes are Air Mail.

Okina also offers a wide selection of correspondence paper and envelopes designed for writing Japanese in vertical fashion. If you cannot read Japanese, the only way to find what you want is to browse the website's warren of links. If there are any Japanese readers among you, please share anything of note from the Okina website, including the name of the distributor or retailers in North America.

Not to scale!
    Last edited by FredRydr; February 5th, 2020 at 07:02 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Okina papers

VANNESS Pen Shop has the unruled OKINA air mail pad & envelopes; the ruled pad & a larger envelope are both listed as out of stock.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to soretailedcat For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (February 5th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by soretailedcat View Post
    VANNESS Pen Shop has the unruled OKINA air mail pad & envelopes; the ruled pad & a larger envelope are both listed as out of stock.
    Thank you for that lead. I'll see Vanness at the end of the month.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

mhguda (November 16th, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks for this thread. I have been searching for paper like this for years now, and while I found some on Etsy, it wasn't quite the same.
    This seems to be. I found it via Google, at an online store out of Oregon, and cleared out their stock (I think). Now the waiting begins - first to get it shipped to my remailer, and then down to here. But I expect it will be worth it.
    De pen is machtiger dan het zwaard - de pen wordt nog gebruikt, het zwaard hangt aan de muur...