Thread: Nib Blues - Really want more variety now

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Nib Blues - Really want more variety now

I have a really strong urge to get a different size of nib into my Aurora Afrika (it's currently an EF, or more accurately an "M" that someone must have had ground to an EF).

Got so many EFs-ish it's hard to fit it into the rotation without having something different besides ink, and I really love the feel of that pen. (would be nice to get an FM, M, or some kind of cursive italic into it)

But at least it looks pretty inky.

And can see that I have at least 3 others that are nearly identical (though tad wetter) :

What I currently got, and you'll notice I don't have a 'broad' choice of nibs (and half the time it's because of what just happen to be available on the pen when I got it in trade or found a deal on it).

• Aurora Afrika LE / 18K EF
    • Pilot Super 250 (1964) / 14K Falcon (1968)
    • Platinum Century #3776 "Black Diamond" / 14K Broad Cursive Italic
    • Sailor 1911L / 21K H-MF
    • Pelikan 400NN (1956) / 14K Semi-flex EF
    • Pelikan 140 / 14K Semi-flex Broad Cursive Italic
    • Pelikan M640 SE Mount Everest 18K Medium (flipside is a crisp fine italic)
    • Lamy 2000 / 14K EF (kept inked with X-feather, but not actually used much)
    • Lamy Al-Star Matte Black / Steel Fine and 1.9
    • Montblanc 149 (1990) / 14K EF
    • Montblanc 14 (1960s) / 18C EF
    • Montblanc 225 (1970s) / 14K XXF
    • Conklin Crescent Filler 20CNL Standard firm 14K 'Fine' (currently fitted with the nib from the Wahl)
    • Sheaffer Snorkel Valiant / Trimph Conical 14K Extra-Fine (took from my broken deskpen, original nib is medium-ish that I still have unattached)
    • Wahl gold-filled pocket pen / 14K Semi-flex needlepoint
    • Platinum Preppy 05 / claims 0.5 but mine writes a thick blobby 0.9 (tipping size is that exact width)
    • Parker Duofold DuoVac (needs to be restored, and "Parker Pen" nib replaced)

Italics are what I haven't really been using much (either because I already have one with same nib I like using a lot, or just haven't appealed that often)
    Underline are what I tend to want to ink and use often.

And some I wish I could nib swap, for example, I love the broad cursive italic in my #3776, but I wish I could use it in the 1911L body as I prefer the Sailor's body to the Platinum.

Thanks

Default Re: Nib Blues - Really want more variety now

It looks like it might be close on available tipping material. How about a FCI? When the tip is ground to flat, it will become a bit wider, then thin out the thickness and you might be pleasantly surprised. It's also a nib you don't seem to have.

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    It looks like it might be close on available tipping material. How about a FCI? When the tip is ground to flat, it will become a bit wider, then thin out the thickness and you might be pleasantly surprised. It's also a nib you don't seem to have.
    I actually have some macro shots from a while back when I was comparing it to a Pelikan M640SE 18K Medium.

Aurora in the middle with the reddish ebonite feed, and M640 18K M just below that

Aurora on the left, M640 M on the right

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Considered that when looking around, but Id on't have anything to spend. Which is why if I did anything, it'd either be back-burner, or done as a trade (how I obtained most of those, including the Aurora), or until I sold something.

PS: that listing you linked is how the back side of my M640 writes (was tuned by Mike Masuyama by the previous owner)