Thread: Identification of “modern” fountain pens

Thanks

Default Identification of “modern” fountain pens

Anyone have recommendations for a book or website to help with identification of “modern” fountain pens? Say 80’s, 90’s, maybe even into the 2000’s? I’m more interested in learning which model a pen is and when it was made than any kind of evaluation. I bought the “Blue” book, and the “Brown” book, but they seem to stop before most of these more modern pens.

In the short time I’ve been in this hobby I’ve realized I enjoy a pen so much more just by knowing a little of the history behind it. Case in point – this inexpensive Cross I recently bought. Can’t find anywhere that helps me dial in on what it is (The Blue book only has two Cross images total).

Thanks for any help.
    --Douglas

Thanks

Default Re: Identification of “modern” fountain pens

That is an AT Cross Solo. I think they came out in the early 90s. I don’t know when production stopped. They made fountain pen, rollerball, ballpoint and .5mm pencil. I believe the fountain pens had steel nibs (as does mine). I have a full set in burgundy and ballpoints and pencils in black and blue. My fountain pen is a great writer. The fountain pens use regular Cross cartridges or non-threaded converter.

I’m sure others will chime in with many more details.

Enjoy,
    Rick

Thanks

Thanks for that ID Rick. Do you have a book/website source you like for this age?

By the way, be careful if you Google AT Cross Solo - may not be suitable for work, lol.

Thanks

I suspect you may have just used the best source of info - fora. Very rarely does there seem to be a "what is it?" post that doesn't get a result, because someone out there will know. A book, on the other hand, will often have gaps in it. Viz:

I once innocently asked about a new-to-me back saw on a group dedicated to old hand tools. A very knowledgable and charming chap had literally just had published his new book comprising a comprehensive list of saw manufacturers that had taken years to compile. To his chagrin he realised he'd somehow missed out the manufacturer of my particular saw. I felt rather awful for asking, to be honest, but he's an absolute gent and shared all the info he had. Thus it's now available on the web, but not, alas, in the book. (Unless you write it in - which I did. )

Having said which, I'm always up for good reference books, so I'd be interested to read any suggestions.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

tooth (February 8th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Just wait another fifty years. They'll be vintage then and people will write books about them.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Hi tooth,

You're welcome.

I don't know of a book covering modern pens but this site and the others are great sources of information as "grainweevil" said. Just keep looking at the new posts and read those from folks asking about pens. You'll get a lot of details. I am often surprised by the detail that comes from people especially when someone asks for information regarding the authenticity of a pen. There are some who know such seemingly minor details that are essential to authenticity that most would never catch.

The Pens in General subform of FPG has a sticky list fo interesting web sites https://fpgeeks.com/forum/forumdispl...ens-in-General.

Also there is a Seattle Pen Club, https://spenclub.wixsite.com/seattlepenclub. If you're close it may be another great source of information and pen socializing. A little too far for me from the South Sound area.

Rick

Thanks

Rick - through this forum I've met the wonderfully helpful Bob Merki from the Seattle Pen Club. You can bet I'll be attending any of their meetings I can!