Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best ink for grading papers :)

Thanks

Default best ink for grading papers :)

I'm relatively new to FPs (though I grew up using Pelikanos in school long time ago).

I now teach at the college level and would like some recommendations for inks (presumably red, but open to suggestions) for grading papers, mostly cheap'ish notebook or computer/xerox paper. I tried Red Dragon Diamine, but didn't like it that much. Right now I'm using Monteverde Mandarin Orange for the time being.

If you have a favorite grading FP you want to recommend please let me know. My collection is very modest, a Lamy Safari, Pilot Metropolitan and TWSBI Eco - all Fine nibs, though I'm thinking of getting another Eco with a Medium nib, for grading.
    Last edited by Levon; February 8th, 2020 at 01:46 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: best ink for grading papers :)

My experience:

Shaeffer Skrip Red is a classic red. Well behaved, no problems.

R&K Morinda is probably my favorite red shade, but it washes away like the snows of late springtime.

Most of my red is now done with DeAtramentis Document Red. A little light for my taste but absolutely watertight. Tears of students have no effect.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (February 13th, 2020), Levon (February 8th, 2020), Yazeh (February 11th, 2020)

Thanks

I like Herbin Rose Cyclamen best, but i'll also use Iroshizuku Tsutsuji or Herbin Rouge Opera from time to time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Levon (February 8th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    My experience:

Shaeffer Skrip Red is a classic red. Well behaved, no problems.

R&K Morinda is probably my favorite red shade, but it washes away like the snows of late springtime.

Thanks .. I'll look to see if Goulet has some samples (are there other places recommended for getting ink samples?)

Most of my red is now done with DeAtramentis Document Red. A little light for my taste but absolutely watertight. Tears of students have no effect.
    Thanks .. that made me laugh out loud .. needed that today looking at my piles of assignments!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Levon For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (February 8th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    I like Herbin Rose Cyclamen best, but i'll also use Iroshizuku Tsutsuji or Herbin Rouge Opera from time to time.
    Thank you for the recommendations, not familiar with any of them, I'll look for some ink samples at Goulet (are there other places recommended for getting ink samples?)

Thanks

Grading is so boring I have to find ways to entertain myself. I gather several pens with not-too-broad nibs, fill them with different inks, and keep changing pens as I go. Sometimes one color per problem, sometime one color per paper. I’m not sure what the students think when I use Lamy Salmon, but I don’t care.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to fqgouvea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

If I had to grade papers I would use Sheaffer Skrip Red or Diamine Poppy or Tulip.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fqgouvea View Post
    Grading is so boring I have to find ways to entertain myself. I gather several pens with not-too-broad nibs, fill them with different inks, and keep changing pens as I go. Sometimes one color per problem, sometime one color per paper. I’m not sure what the students think when I use Lamy Salmon, but I don’t care.
    Agreed, I like to mix it up too, though at this point my collection of FP and inks is very limited, so I want to start out with the basics (I have a huge collection in ink gel pens I used for grading before, in all sorts of colors

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    If I had to grade papers I would use Sheaffer Skrip Red or Diamine Poppy or Tulip.
    Thanks .. the Sheaffer Skrip was recommended upstream, and I googled it, seems pretty popular for grading. I'll have to check out your other two recommendations, I appreciate the suggestions.
    Last edited by Levon; February 8th, 2020 at 03:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Levon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Thanks .. the Sheaffer Skrip was recommended upstream, and I googled it, seems pretty popular for grading. I'll have to check out your other two recommendations, I appreciate the suggestions.
    You will find several red inks in the Ink Review forum but check in the Ink Review Index first for any ideas.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My personal favorite has always been Diamine Oxblood. It's a beautiful, bloody color that's perfect for student papers, but it does not perform particularly well on cheaper paper. Here is a link to a thread I started when I was looking for alternatives. Best of luck!

P. S. If you'd like to try the Oxblood, I'll gladly send you a sample. I have it and the Chesterfield Siam.
    Last edited by Dreck; February 8th, 2020 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Sample offer
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I used to use Pelikan Violet, but now I go for Iroshizuku Yama-budo. Fuchsia is fun for me.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to empliau For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

I teach at the college level. I always grade in pencil when I am working with paper. But mostly, I grade online these days.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Thanks .. so much to read, so much to learn

I did order a bottle of the Skrip Red, based on the 'grading' suitability I found once I was learned of it and did some google'ing, and also because it seems to work with cheap/xerox type paper, which is where most of my grading will happen. Also picked up a Jinhao 992 (clear) on the way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dreck View Post
    My personal favorite has always been Diamine Oxblood. It's a beautiful, bloody color that's perfect for student papers, but it does not perform particularly well on cheaper paper. Here is a link to a thread I started when I was looking for alternatives. Best of luck!

P. S. If you'd like to try the Oxblood, I'll gladly send you a sample. I have it and the Chesterfield Siam.
    That was an interesting thread and informative. Also, thanks for the sample offer, I just ordered a bottle of the Skrip Red based on the recommendations upstream and what I found via google. The ability to work on cheap paper is a must, so I think I'm set with this for now. I will keep that ink mind however (if I understood correctly in the other thread, the Diamine and Chesterfield are the same ink, right?).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by empliau View Post
    I used to use Pelikan Violet, but now I go for Iroshizuku Yama-budo. Fuchsia is fun for me.
    Those do sound like fun, thanks .. once I have a basic grading color, I definitely plan to mix it up by using others too (what I did with my various gel pens over the years, but FP are so much more fun right now )

Thanks

(if I understood correctly in the other thread, the Diamine and Chesterfield are the same ink, right?).
    Long suspected, but so far as I know it has not been overtly stated or definitively proven.
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 427 Posts

Thanks .. I'll look to see if Goulet has some samples (are there other places recommended for getting ink samples?)
    I rarely order ink samples from Goulet unless they are having their semi-annual ink sample sale. All of their samples are a chintzy 2mls in volume, so I guess you get what you pay for. Most of my ordering comes from Vanness Pens (4ml), Anderson Pens (3ml), and Pen Chalet (3ml). Trying to fill a converter with a 2ml sample is just about impossible and I have to use a syringe with a blunt tip needle to fill the Pilot Metros and Faber Castell Looms. [Don't even try it with a piston fill pen.]

I use Pelikan Edelstein Olivine Green when making corrections to all the internal memos going around the office, along with the mountains of QC data that has to be reviewed. The Bosses use Red inked gel pens.

All the Best.
    Last edited by junglejim; February 9th, 2020 at 11:40 AM.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

27. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Levon (February 9th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Most of my ordering comes from Vanness Pens (4ml), Anderson Pens (3ml), and Pen Chalet (3ml). Trying to fill a converter with a 2ml sample is just about impossible ...

I use Pelikan Edelstein Olivine Green when making corrections to all the internal memos going around the office, along with the mountains of QC data that has to be reviewed. The Bosses use Red inked gel pens.

All the Best.
    Ah, thanks so much for the recommendations. Never heard of Vanness Pens, familiar with Anderson's and Pen Chalet but haven't ordered anything from them (I did buy a few items from a local Anderson's here in Chicago). I'll keep those places in mind for future purchases.

I'll check out the green you mentioned, might be fun.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

You could also take a look at Rohrer & Klingner Sketch inks.
    They are nano pigmented waterproof FP inks that behave very well on cheap paper (available in several colors).

Also the regular ink line of Rohrer & Klingner is always a recommendation worth, excellent inks.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Levon (February 9th, 2020)