Thread: Parker pencil ???

Thanks

Default Parker pencil ???

In the scary lot of pens I bought, is this. But is it a 51 or a 61? It measures 5.25" and is cap actuated. Can't find a date code. Any help on an ID would the great.
    Black parker pencil.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachez

Thanks

Default Re: Parker pencil ???

Hi Annie,
    I'm no expert, just a pen nerd chilling while my daughter is napping.
    From looking at the photos at the Museum I would guess a "51". That would be for the US version, do you know if it's US or UK? All of the 61s seem to have a smaller nosecone. The 61 jewels are smaller than on the "51" if you have one to compare.

--greg

Thanks

This is a UK made pencil and I get what you mean about the cone being smaller on the 61. Are we comparing jewels between 51/61 on pencils? Pens? Can you tell I know less than zip about pencils?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Thanks

Based on the link I included I assumed the "51" pencil.

in the section on the 61 Jonathan says:
    "The pencils were just a bit skinnier, particularly at the top end. Top jewels are significantly smaller."

I don't have any "51" pencil's in stock to measure at the moment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gweddig View Post
    Based on the link I included I assumed the "51" pencil.

in the section on the 61 Jonathan says:
    "The pencils were just a bit skinnier, particularly at the top end. Top jewels are significantly smaller."

I don't have any "51" pencil's in stock to measure at the moment.
    Thanks for this. A look at Jonathan's pictures tells me that it's a 51 as the cone on the 61 is significantly different to the one I have.

Thanks

Cap activated 51. Made (in the US) from 1948 to 1958. Date coded at the top of the barrel through sometime in 1956 (in the US). Twist pencil from 1958, but fatter than a 61, until 1969. There's an early 50s English version that is a twist pencil, but has a similar looking grooved tip.

Two good references include parker51.com and parkerpens.net

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twopens View Post
    Cap activated 51. Made (in the US) from 1948 to 1958. Date coded at the top of the barrel through sometime in 1956 (in the US). Twist pencil from 1958, but fatter than a 61, until 1969. There's an early 50s English version that is a twist pencil, but has a similar looking grooved tip.

+1 on that. Twopens might correct me on this, but I don't think there were any cap-actuated Parker 61 pencils. I think they were all twist models. You can see from your picture that cap is not nearly as tapered as a 61, either.

I'd also try Tony Fischer's website, parkercollector.com. Newer Parker pencils are a challenge to categorize - if Twopens is who I think he is, he's the guy I ask whenever I have something post-Parker 51 to ask about.

Maybe he knows something about that Vac Demonstrator I posted about? (Poke poke poke)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonveley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Twopens View Post

+1 on that. Twopens might correct me on this, but I don't think there were any cap-actuated Parker 61 pencils. I think they were all twist models. You can see from your picture that cap is not nearly as tapered as a 61, either.

I'd also try Tony Fischer's website, parkercollector.com. Newer Parker pencils are a challenge to categorize - if Twopens is who I think he is, he's the guy I ask whenever I have something post-Parker 51 to ask about.

Maybe he knows something about that Vac Demonstrator I posted about? (Poke poke poke)
    Yes, I omitted that 61 pencils are twist only.

As for your Vac Demonstrator pencil, I know nothing!

Thanks

My 51 Special pencil (1953) is a twist model. >.5mm leads as well. Different nose cone though.
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain