Thread: Waterman CF

Thanks

Default Waterman CF

Good afternoon.

I have been dabbling in fountain pens since I was a kid and I recently got back into by purchasing a couple of vintage "working" Waterman fountain pens on eBay but the one that I am posting about is the CF. It was listed as working but with the converter I purchased new, I can not get it to write whatsoever.

Just to save some time, I have tried all the usual things that I was taught to help a fountain pen write(soaking the nib in warm water(with and without soap), gently forcing water through with a syringe, etc) but nothing seems to be working so if there is anyone who can help, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Thanks

Default Re: Waterman CF

Is this the narrow opening type cartridge? If so where did you find a converter?!? that's a super find!

Pictures of the afflicted pen and it's components always help...

Will the pen suck up water and expel it without any leaking out around the cartridge interface, or around the presser bar opening?
    David-

So many restoration projects...

Thanks

I had a CF that wouldn't write. It was a flex nib (it was chalk marked as such) but someone must have tried it because the nib was separated from the feed. Someone sprung it and that was that. I gave it away and the person got it to a nib tech and now it works great apparently. Use a loop and see if the nib and feed are still in contact maybe?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by awa54 View Post
    Is this the narrow opening type cartridge? If so where did you find a converter?!? that's a super find!

Will the pen suck up water and expel it without any leaking out around the cartridge interface, or around the presser bar opening?
    Do you mean those slimline metal tube press converters with the bit of plastic at the end that slopes down to a narrow channel? I once found them available on Amazon, but I can't find them on there at the moment. They sometimes come up on ebay.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

waterman cf.jpg

You may find an exploded view of the CF to be be useful,

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

dneal (February 23rd, 2023), Scrawler (February 24th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awa54 View Post

https://www.penboutique.com/products...-pen-converter

This is the converter I ordered after doing some research online and this is what came up most often. As far as sucking up ink through the nib/tip by pressing the converter, I only tried it with ink and since it wasn't writing no matter what, I am not sure if it would suck up anything at all. If I push the "button" on the side of the converter, I can get ink to come out of the "vent hole" at the base of the nib where it meets the body.

Here are the pictures from the eBay listing but they do show the nib quite well. Sorry if they are too large, I couldn't get them to resize on my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    waterman cf.jpg

You may find an exploded view of the CF to be be useful,
    This is extremely helpful as I was not aware it came apart that easily or at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wallburt View Post

This is the converter I ordered after doing some research online and this is what came up most often. As far as sucking up ink through the nib/tip by pressing the converter, I only tried it with ink and since it wasn't writing no matter what, I am not sure if it would suck up anything at all. If I push the "button" on the side of the converter, I can get ink to come out of the "vent hole" at the base of the nib where it meets the body.

Here are the pictures from the eBay listing but they do show the nib quite well. Sorry if they are too large, I couldn't get them to resize on my phone.
    That's the converter that I meant, and it's correct for the CF.
    It sounds like your pen needs flushing out with pen flush. If you're happy with taking it apart then hopefully you might get it working again after having done that.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Thanks for that link!! I need one of these for an open nib CF pen I own (actually a great writer, despite being very basic). last time I saw one on Ebay it was about $30 plus postage from the UK.

If the pen had filled with ink correctly, you would get a stream of drops coming back out of the nib or feed when you press the bar on the converter. It might be as simple as the converter needing to be seated better (IIRC, the interface is pretty tight and deeply set in the section), but from the picture, it also looks like Chrissy's diagnosis of needing a soak is spot-on.
    Last edited by awa54; February 14th, 2020 at 10:10 AM.
    David-

So many restoration projects...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to awa54 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 14th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wallburt View Post
    Good afternoon.

I have been dabbling in fountain pens since I was a kid and I recently got back into by purchasing a couple of vintage "working" Waterman fountain pens on eBay but the one that I am posting about is the CF. It was listed as working but with the converter I purchased new, I can not get it to write whatsoever.

Just to save some time, I have tried all the usual things that I was taught to paper io 2 help a fountain pen write(soaking the nib in warm water(with and without soap), gently forcing water through with a syringe, etc) but nothing seems to be working so if there is anyone who can help, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
    This is a wonderful technique to finish writing an academic work in a timely manner and earn a good mark. Personally, I frequently employ a writing service to enhance my intellectual development.