Thread: You know what I'm hating? And what I'm liking?

Thanks

Default You know what I'm hating? And what I'm liking?

No? Ok - I'll tell you. The current office environment. In the old days (not that long ago), everyone seemed to either have an office or their own desk. Now with the push for ABW (Activity Based Working) you don't have a permanent desk anymore. You just sit wherever there's a desk available. You get a locker to keep your stuff in when you go home. So this means I can't leave my desk accessories in place e.g. desk set, stapler, etc. Annoying. Let's not start on the push to go paperless...... I'm an FP user. I need PAPER a-hole!!!!! Grrrrrrrr

I go to meetings with my book whilst everyone else turns up with a device of some sort. So they call me a wanker, firstly for using FPs, and then for taking too long to issue the meeting minutes as I have to type them up - whilst they just type them up as the meeting progresses. I tell them I'm being respectful and courteous by maintaining eye contact and listening to what they are saying; rather than looking at a device and typing.

This is the like part. Whilst you people are squabbling about 50c or some other BS, I'll just enjoy the feel of the nib running across paper, wonder if the ink is laying down too wet, should I change colour for the next meeting, which FP shall I cycle next, is my M nib too broad for the paper, wish this would end so I can have a piss and a smoke, etc. Bwahahahahahahaha Oh yeah, better get on with those minutes. Bwahahahahahah

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mustang Mars For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (February 12th, 2020), Kulprit (February 13th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: You know what I'm hating? And what I'm liking?

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Mars View Post
    You know what I'm hating? And what I'm liking?...No? Ok - I'll tell you. The current office environment. In the old days (not that long ago), everyone seemed to either have an office or their own desk. Now with the push for ABW (Activity Based Working) you don't have a permanent desk anymore. You just sit wherever there's a desk available. You get a locker to keep your stuff in when you go home. So this means I can't leave my desk accessories in place e.g. desk set, stapler, etc....
    I never experienced this. When I stop working at the end of the day, I have piles of opened books and printed materials spread out on my desk and nearby surfaces. I cannot imagine someone else just walking in, sweeping my work aside and taking over the same space. Of course, it's my space, so no one does. They better not, or they're history.

In any event, the fountain pens are put away.

Thanks

It's the latest and greatest thing here in the last 10 or so years. Works on a ratio of 80% office for 100% staff. The employer saves on rent, fit-out & operating costs, etc., but spends more on IT as the workforce is mobile - Wifi, remote access, etc. Look, to be honest, I don't really mind it, but I'd like to have my space where I can leave all my desk junk, inks, etc. FPs travel and get used daily unless I'm on site. Then out comes 'click click'.

Thanks

ABW (Activity Based Working) you don't have a permanent desk anymore.
    I love the way there is a cool name for it, with a catchy TLA of course. When, like so many things about modern life, it really just is another manifestation of the commodification of human beings. You used to have an office, "Jane's office". Then it was a desk. Now, we are so disposable/replaceable, they don't even bother with the pretence of that anymore. Unit 4561 has come online, 4560 is scheduled to spin back up in 14 hours...
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Notes typed during meetings are frequently incoherent and lacking detail, nuance and interpretation.

Thanks

My Subaru is my office.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

You know what I like?

I don't have to worry about any of that and can just delegate both guilt and irritations onto the current generation.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (February 13th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

I am delighted to say that it is thirty years since I last set foot in an office workplace or worked for anyone else.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (February 13th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

It's the latest and greatest thing here in the last 10 or so years. Works on a ratio of 80% office for 100% staff. The employer saves on rent, fit-out & operating costs, etc., but spends more on IT as the workforce is mobile - Wifi, remote access, etc. Look, to be honest, I don't really mind it, but I'd like to have my space where I can leave all my desk junk, inks, etc. FPs travel and get used daily unless I'm on site. Then out comes 'click click'.
    Starbucks is now your office. Plop in a vintage desk pen with a beautiful base next to your laptop and enjoy the curious looks
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Starbucks is now your office. Plop in a vintage desk pen with a beautiful base next to your laptop and enjoy the curious looks
    Like so, but without the base or the 'puter: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post278984

Thanks

I just finished a murder trial, so this is my desk today in the aftermath. I don’t think anyone would want it for themselves, and if they did they’re welcome to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kulprit View Post
    I just finished a murder trial, so this is my desk today in the aftermath....
    I take it you were acquitted?

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 14th, 2020), countrydirt (February 13th, 2020), Deb (February 16th, 2020), jar (February 13th, 2020), Kulprit (February 27th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I went from having a desk to not having one at all. Then having the ABW type setup for 8 months in a purely electronic environment that was draconianly enforced. I am talking about getting wanded to enter the building and not being able to have any personal effects except my ID and keys and a lunch bag that was also searched. It was jarring for me and I loathed every minute of it. I was desperate and needed the job badly. I had to sell some of my prized pens to make ends meet. In September I moved back into a position where technically I was supposed to have a desk but because of a pending office move, I had a table. Now I have a desk and am slowly working in my fountain pens and getting back into a sense of normalcy. Whenever I can use my fountain pens at work, it is a reminder of how good things can be and how it can all be taken away in a second. I appreciate being able to use my pens again.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    I am delighted to say that it is thirty years since I last set foot in an office workplace or worked for anyone else.
    I'm self employed but still have clients to service......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulprit View Post
    I just finished a murder trial, so this is my desk today in the aftermath....
    I take it you were acquitted?
    Nope - guilty by the looks of the empty office

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mustang Mars For This Useful Post:

Kulprit (February 27th, 2020)