Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
I once saw a corporate clown stand up in front of an auditorium of electrical engineers and say, "We must leverage our synergies to maximize the margin on our deliverables." People turned and looked at each other with interrobangs appearing over their heads.
This is the kind of stuff that sends me into paroxysms of rage. Language is a cultural construct, and as such may well be prone to adaptation and alteration. Having said that, ridiculous corporate-speak peppered with currently popular keywords is at best riding on others' coattails to be one of the "cool kids" and at worst an intentional obfuscation. It isn't effective (which should be a function of language, and especially of linguistic adaptations), it isn't Lean, and it is almost always perpetrated by someone who wants to sound smarter or more authoritative than they actually are. Dealing with students who write like that in their dissertations and research papers and trying to help them choose appropriate words (as opposed to simply picking something from Thesaurus.com) to find their own voice in academic writing is a rant for another time, however. I'll simply sign off with this pictorial commentary...
Attachment 52323