Thread: Watermans Crusader needs sac, but what size?

Thanks

Default Watermans Crusader needs sac, but what size?

Ok, Hello Everyone. I am new to this forum and to vintage fountain pen restoration so if I am in the wrong forum please advise. I have recently found a Watermans pen which I have identified (I think I have anyway) as a Crusader made between 1948 and 53. It needs a new sac and I wondered if someone could help me with a size and some suggestion of where you all buy them and shellac etc. Also, have I lost my mind as I get into yet another hobby/addiction? Thank you. JWC

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Re: Watermans Crusader needs sac, but what size?

Once you have the pen apart ready for it's new sac you can measure the nipple and most web-sites you buy sacs from will tell you what size you need for that. Otherwise someone might come along and say what size sac they have used in that particular model.

Hopefully it could also be on the indy-pen-dance list
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

JWC (February 13th, 2020)

Thanks

Start with a number 16 and then check. Take the sac and before you do anything to the sac, insert it into the pen barrel a ways. It won't go all the way to the back, but you're just checking the diameter of the sac - that it doesn't get hung up on the pressure bar. The sac should slip into the barrel without getting hung up, but should fill the barrel still. If the sac gets hung up, go to a size smaller. If the sac seems to be way too small, go up a size. Repeat until you get a sac size that fills the barrel but does not get hung up. After that, check the sac mouth diameter against the section nipple to be sure it will fit - a bit of a stretch on the sac is good, but it should not be so far as to tear the sac mouth.

The length of the sac is done entirely by cutting - the diameter is the part you numerically size for.

My recommendation is to buy a pack of assorted sac sizes. Don't just buy one sac - buy the assortment pack so you'll have a few common sizes. I've gotten sacs from Indypendance, Anderson Pens, and Pendemonium. Shellac is just hardware store shellac, but you can get smaller bottles from any of these shops.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

JWC (February 13th, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks much. I was wondering if there was a difference between hardware store shellac and pen shellac and now I know. Thanks also for the store/site references.