Thread: Three Sailors walk in to a bar...

Thanks

Default Three Sailors walk in to a bar...

well, my house, not a bar...

I have a shiny new 1911 Young with a zoom nib, the old version (Young Profit?) with some huge lump of tipping (BB?) and a 1970s 21k long pen with what looks to be an EF nib all on the way.

I hope the punchline is something about how great they all turn out to be
    David-

So many restoration projects...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to awa54 For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (February 17th, 2020), fereous (February 15th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Three Sailors walk in to a bar...

after careful examination of the auction pics I found that the young *professional* is stamped MS, now I know that I have a Sailor music nib coming!
    David-

Thanks

Default Re: Three Sailors walk in to a bar...

My zoom nibbed Sailor arrived today and I see exactly *two* differences between the two TIGP era versions I own and the new one: 1) The clip on the new pen is stamped/crimped to shape, where the older ones are a thicker bar of metal with the end lobe also a solid metal piece welded to the clip arm (the new cap has a shallower slit for the clip to exit from as well). 2) Nib imprint: the older nibs have a single line outline motif with a large anchor above "TIGP" with the Sailor name logo at the base, the new pen has a criss-cross/double line outline with a large "1911" above a small anchor, again with a small Sailor name logo at the base.

So far I'm not amazed by the zoom nib, it writes somewhere between a broad and a double broad when held at a normal western handwriting angle. The difference between an extreme high hold angle and very low angle is still pretty subtle, about medium to double broad on cross strokes and fine-medium to double broad on down strokes. Maybe it can work miracles in an Asian calligrapher's hand, but it doesn't "zoom" much for me Still, it's a nice writing pen for $45, especially if you like a BB nib.
    David-