Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ON THE HUNT FOR A 149

Thanks
    Thanked 10,464 Times in 4,005 Posts

Default Re: ON THE HUNT FOR A 149

Quote Originally Posted by Bunk2019 View Post
    Are you sure about the "Germany" vs "West Germany" marking? Because after World War II, Germany was divided and became West Germany and East Germany until after the Berlin Wall fell in 1989 and the two countries were not unified until 1990.
    Yes, this is accurate. As far as I knew Montblanc pens would have had W.Germany stickers on them until 1989 rather than having Germany stickers in the 1970's and W.Germany stickers in the 1980's.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Are you sure about the "Germany" vs "West Germany" marking? Because after World War II, Germany was divided and became West Germany and East Germany until after the Berlin Wall fell in 1989 and the two countries were not unified until 1990.
    I’m aware of the history, but the history of the MB “made in” line is a little different.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Hence the already noted comments saying 90s+ pen, 70s+ Box.
    Take a look at FPN’s dating a 149 chart, put together with lots of info from Barry Gabay. If you don’t trust Barry Gabay, then i suggest you have a look at the Japanese magazine Shumi no Bunko Bako, put together with lots of info from former MB employees. It says the same thing but in more detail.

Another thing you guys could do is look at some vintage models which say “made in Germany” on them. I’ll show you mine if you’re ever in Brooklyn.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Hence the already noted comments saying 90s+ pen, 70s+ Box.
    Take a look at FPN’s dating a 149 chart, put together with lots of info from Barry Gabay. If you don’t trust Barry Gabay, then i suggest you have a look at the Japanese magazine Shumi no Bunko Bako, put together with lots of info from former MB employees. It says the same thing but in more detail.

Another thing you guys could do is look at some vintage models which say “made in Germany” on them. I’ll show you mine if you’re ever in Brooklyn.
    I've tried looking at one of those FPN charts but either the images are no longer working or I can't see them. I certainly trust Barry but can't find a current working chart.

Thanks

I have the Penworld article from Barry, The 149 is 50, and he makes the point that some pre 1990 149s are still marked as Made in Germany and even 1960-70 149s with a long centre hump clip that is marked on the clip ring marked Montblanc Made in Germany, I dont think German reunification can be taken as a guide when dating 149s

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Bunk2019 (February 20th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    I have the Penworld article from Barry, The 149 is 50, and he makes the point that some pre 1990 149s are still marked as Made in Germany and even 1960-70 149s with a long centre hump clip that is marked on the clip ring marked Montblanc Made in Germany, I dont think German reunification can be taken as a guide when dating 149s
    Thanks for clearing that up. I only have one 149 and it was definitely marked W.Germany on it's clip band when I bought it. On the other hand it's been almost completely replaced apart from the nib so it might now say Germany.
    I haven't looked at it in a long time.
    I know it has a tri-colour BB 18k nib and that's about all I remember about it. It went to Mb to have a service and the gold band next to the piston cone didn't match the gold bands on the cap, so it went back and got a new cap. I assume matching the gold bands meant it had a new clip too.
    Last edited by Chrissy; February 21st, 2020 at 12:36 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Year after year, I see one penmeister's box overflowing with 149 and 146 Meisterstuck clips, and as he paws through them to fit to pens, I assure you they weren't selected based on the word "West" or "Pix" or serial number. In other words as used pens offered for sale get older, the likelihood diminishes that pens perfectly match the 149 date table. Frankly, I'm a nib and feed guy, so those other details don't bother me.
    Last edited by FredRydr; February 20th, 2020 at 04:05 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 21st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Year after year, I see one penmeister's box overflowing with 149 and 146 Meisterstuck clips, and as he paws through them to fit to pens, I assure you they weren't selected based on the word "West" or "Pix" or serial number. In other words as used pens offered for sale get older, the likelihood diminishes that pens perfectly match the 149 date table. Frankly, I'm a nib and feed guy, so those other details don't bother me.
    Plus it seems like one of those models, where as status symbol becomes more important, the importance of collectability/originality becomes less significant. Just like if you sent off a 149 to Montblanc for an overhaul, anything deemed worthy of replacing is getting replaced, there's no "historical" or "collector" value in the parts, it's still a 149 part, just as good as the old part if not better in their eyes. Maybe that doesn't matter so much for the people who seek the brand for it's status, rather than it's specific ties to a particular era? (I'm not much of a status seeker, if I'm aiming for a time period it's because there's a particular trait I want that I know is from that time period).

In short... a 149 clip is a 149 clip, doesn't really matter one way or another in the eyes of most as long as it's "Authentic".

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It’s do here tomorrow

I’ll take good pics and post them

I’m excited to see the pen in person

I got my first Mont Blanc pen about 30 years ago

I like the brand well enough to have business card holders , Check book , money clip and watches from the Marque

I also have a 146 on the way

I’ve found the pens fragile and was fortunate to have a service center in my area for years

Sadly now I have to mail in

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JParanee View Post
    [image of leather sleeve]
    So, is that riding gear?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JParanee View Post
    [image of leather sleeve]
    So, is that riding gear? Do we have another expensive hobby?! <wink! wink!>

Thanks

I do like bikes

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JParanee For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (February 20th, 2020)

Thanks

All the money-eating luxeries rolled into one...

(and I am completely envious of that black Aurora, I would much rather have that than the Montblanc 149 I have now).

Thanks

Frankenpens are definitely out there, but keep in mind that not all combinations of parts are possible. For instance, due to changes in barrel diameter, 149 caps aren’t always compatible. This is one reason MB replaces so many parts when someone sends in an older pen.

Moreover, the historical argument has so far left out the complicated relationship between East and West. Until the 1970s, the West took a hardline position that the RDA was illegitimate and called itself the sole legitimate state in Germany. Hence products said that they were made in Germany or ignored the issue altogether by not putting a country of origin in the product, as MB did in the 1950s. Other products, such as the 1960s Max Bill watches, said made in Germany. That continued until the Willy Brandt era when the relationship began to thaw. The thaw continued to the point in the 1980s when Pelikan and MB could put W Germany on their pens. And of course, as has been pointed out, made in Germany reappears at some point in the 1990s.)"

If you lived through the history, you may recall. If not, the general ebb and flow of the standoff between the two Germanies is is detailed in the history books. It is also digested on an old post over on FPN on this very issue.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've never cared about whether my pen has old or new parts as long as it writes nicely and it's piston works. In fact I feel quite fortunate to have a brand new pen (apart from the nib) for free because I wasn't charged anything for the service.
    Even when I bought the pen it was an almost unused bargain that I found on ebay and it turned out to have a nice BB nib.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I've never cared about whether my pen has old or new parts as long as it writes nicely and it's piston works. In fact I feel quite fortunate to have a brand new pen (apart from the nib) for free because I wasn't charged anything for the service.
    Even when I bought the pen it was an almost unused bargain that I found on ebay and it turned out to have a nice BB nib.
    I only ever cared in context of Montblanc is because it seems consistently, the modern post 90s ones are going to be firm nails, and I am not typically a fan of firm nails. But that the springy vintage ones are quite nice if you like em smooth and springy. If the nibs were about the same across the span of time, it wouldn't matter to me when it came from, just what it has on it.

Thanks

I only ever cared in context of Montblanc is because it seems consistently, the modern post 90s ones are going to be firm nails, and I am not typically a fan of firm nails. But that the springy vintage ones are quite nice if you like em smooth and springy. If the nibs were about the same across the span of time, it wouldn't matter to me when it came from, just what it has on it.
    I'm not a fan of flexible nibs, and like how almost all of my Mb nibs write. The only one I don't like is an EF as I find it too difficult to balance on that point size.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I'm not a fan of flexible nibs, and like how almost all of my Mb nibs write. The only one I don't like is an EF as I find it too difficult to balance on that point size.
    Does not need to be flex for me, just springy/bouncey in feel, dont care for firm nail feel.

Thanks

Well I’m thrilled

The pen is perfect

Ya just never know when buying online but this time it was what it was described to be the pen is perfect

Plastic threads solid ebonite feed

I believe this makes it a 70’s pen

First thing I did even though it was Relatively smooth was remove the piston and lube it

I just can’t imagine a 50ish year old pen not needing a fresh lube job

It feels super smooth now and the medium nib is a tad wet and smooth

Really pleased

Some pics and a little video

25. The Following User Says Thank You to JParanee For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (February 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

Once Barry Gabay comments, trying to add something would be almost a blasphemy. So just to the others discussion reg. West Germany. 1) East Germany was recognized by the UN in 1972/1973,
    2) Montblanc started marking the clips "West Germany" rather in 2nd half of 80s (and continued even in early 90s until they ran of the stock of already marked "W. Germany" clips), soon after the serial numbers appeared, until mid. 80s the clips had been marked "Germany".
    As Barry said, the pen is of 70s-early 80s. Everything is correct and as should be.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to aurore For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (February 23rd, 2020)