Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fountain Pens More Convenient, but Not Superior to Dip Pens

Thanks

Default Re: Fountain Pens More Convenient, but Not Superior to Dip Pens

This is hilarious to me. Drama over a dip pen...LOL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Highly recommended to watch.

Unfortunate, but true.

I'll be out in the cornfield.
    Wow. A+ for Twilight Zone reference and a highly apropos one at that.

Can I come join you? I've always wanted to see a crop circle.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (April 12th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,485 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Highly recommended to watch.

Unfortunate, but true.

I'll be out in the cornfield.
    Wow. A+ for Twilight Zone reference and a highly apropos one at that.

Can I come join you? I've always wanted to see a crop circle.
    Any time!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 12th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    I'm unaware of any propensity to attack your posts. You've only been here a short time and to be honest, I hadn't really singled you out from the other new arrivals. Calling someone's argument sophomoric is hardly contributing to the value of the debate and is insulting. Keep it civil.
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post288750

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
    I'm unaware of any propensity to attack your posts. You've only been here a short time and to be honest, I hadn't really singled you out from the other new arrivals. Calling someone's argument sophomoric is hardly contributing to the value of the debate and is insulting. Keep it civil.
    Can you help me with deciding on either a Conway Stewart or Mabie Todd? I've been trying to decide. Are they difficult to restore. Which are the best models? What the best way to smooth out a 14k nib? Are the sacs and diaphragms difficult to source?

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
    If that constitutes an "attack" to you.. That (Deb's post) read to me ENTIRELY as simply an opposing/supplementary position

*taking my own advice, user blocked*

Thanks

The curmudgeon expert has gone silent.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I had to use dip pens in elementary school for grades one through four and half of grade 5. Dip pens are, to me, the nastiest and most old-fashioned thing you could write with beyond a sharp stick dipped in ink. The most I could get out of a dip in the ink was a single line. Writing with dip pens was the most tiresome way to write. I am left handed and left hand had to go up to the top right corner of the desk to dip the pen (right handed world). I used ballpoints at home for homework.

I think all the hobbyists singing the praises of dip pens have no idea of the misery they were to have to use for everything. There are no words to reflect adequate scorn on dip pens, especially as I warm to this topic. Fie!
    I am pleased you are "warming to the topic" nonetheless. I've been using a dip pen for writing letters to my grand daughters and they enjoy getting them. I've collected four types of Esterbrook nibs and prefer the 048 Falcon and 788 the best, I suspect the nibs you were given to use as a child were not of this caliber, nor the paper such that made the ink flow.

I've found that one must match the nib to the paper and as we know, paper was in short supply in the old days so you used what you had which explains why there were no attempt to produce a non crossed out worded document. I've studied American Civil War soldier letters and marvel at how excellent was their penmanship.

No, my intent on starting the thread was not to say dip pens are a joy to use, but that modern fountain types are not superior in writing. The large 788 holds much ink and I can easily crank out several lines of communication. I only use Waterman, a wet, free flowing type as you are already aware.

I hope others will consider wanting to have the experience of their ancestors in using a dip pen which the Esterbrook nibs still exist inexpensively and good unused supply.

There is a way to prepare the nib. Best to get a new one that is not rusting. And, maintenance is important if not necessary to provide longevity of use.

You enjoy using dip pens because it's something you want to do. The nuns made me do it. thought my Palmer method writing left handed was dreadful and tried to make me write right handed, but gave up after half a school year. That might be why I hated it so much. Some time in fifth grade the nuns supplied fountain pens, Scripto squeeze fillers. No more darned left hand dipping into the upper right corner of the desk.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I had to use dip pens in elementary school for grades one through four and half of grade 5. Dip pens are, to me, the nastiest and most old-fashioned thing you could write with beyond a sharp stick dipped in ink. The most I could get out of a dip in the ink was a single line. Writing with dip pens was the most tiresome way to write. I am left handed and left hand had to go up to the top right corner of the desk to dip the pen (right handed world). I used ballpoints at home for homework.

I think all the hobbyists singing the praises of dip pens have no idea of the misery they were to have to use for everything. There are no words to reflect adequate scorn on dip pens, especially as I warm to this topic. Fie!
    I am pleased you are "warming to the topic" nonetheless. I've been using a dip pen for writing letters to my grand daughters and they enjoy getting them. I've collected four types of Esterbrook nibs and prefer the 048 Falcon and 788 the best, I suspect the nibs you were given to use as a child were not of this caliber, nor the paper such that made the ink flow.

I've found that one must match the nib to the paper and as we know, paper was in short supply in the old days so you used what you had which explains why there were no attempt to produce a non crossed out worded document. I've studied American Civil War soldier letters and marvel at how excellent was their penmanship.

No, my intent on starting the thread was not to say dip pens are a joy to use, but that modern fountain types are not superior in writing. The large 788 holds much ink and I can easily crank out several lines of communication. I only use Waterman, a wet, free flowing type as you are already aware.

I hope others will consider wanting to have the experience of their ancestors in using a dip pen which the Esterbrook nibs still exist inexpensively and good unused supply.

There is a way to prepare the nib. Best to get a new one that is not rusting. And, maintenance is important if not necessary to provide longevity of use.

You enjoy using dip pens because it's something you want to do. The nuns made me do it. thought my Palmer method writing left handed was dreadful and tried to make me write right handed, but gave up after half a school year. That might be why I hated it so much. Some time in fifth grade the nuns supplied fountain pens, Scripto squeeze fillers. No more darned left hand dipping into the upper right corner of the desk.
    Because I am a Civil War buff and wanted to have the experience, that's why. I enjoy looking at historical documents and personal letters. It wasn't something random.