Thread: Replacement nib/feed collar for 18K Large Aurora?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Replacement nib/feed collar for 18K Large Aurora?

Noticed that the lip near the tail of the nib has a small crack open on it from my Aurora Afrika LE. The crack goes from the lip, down to the groove notch that the nib foot sits into.

Wondering if there's a place to source just the collar so I can slip the nib/feed into that?

Basically the same unit size as the Aurora Optima or 88.
    Last edited by KBeezie; February 17th, 2020 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Default Re: Replacement nib/feed collar for 18K Large Aurora?

Do you mean the black section that the nib unit slides into and screws into place? It seems that this is not an uncommon problem. If so, it is a part that is glued to the barrel and ink-view window and is not readily removable. Sent via the Aurora distributor Kenro to Torino Italy on a two-month journey and back to Aurora's pen spa costs $35. My ten-year-old Optima came back with no crack, and I do not know if they replaced the entire barrel/section (likely) or only the section.

If you mean the plastic part of the nib/feed unit, I would contact Kenro in New York to ask if you can buy the plastic part only. Be prepared to send the unit for a required service charge, and hopefully at their Long island headquarters without having to send the little unit to Italy. Of course, you could buy another nib unit (from Kenro or from FPGeeks Classifieds) to tide you over until yours is returned.

See:
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...thread-sealant
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...-Aurora-Optima

FYI photo:
    IMG_1692.jpeg
    Last edited by FredRydr; February 18th, 2020 at 10:46 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 18th, 2020)

Thanks

About a year ago I asked Kenro for just the screw in collar. They mailed one right away.
    I did have to assure them that I was capable of doing the repair. The fact that I included a picture of the disassembled nib unit with cracked collar with my inquiry did that.
    Good luck,
    Craig

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to broadoblique For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (February 21st, 2020), Chrissy (February 18th, 2020), FredRydr (February 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Do you mean the black section that the nib unit slides into and screws into place? It seems that this is not an uncommon problem. If so, it is a part that is glued to the barrel and ink-view window and is not readily removable. Sent via the Aurora distributor Kenro to Torino Italy on a two-month journey and back to Aurora's pen spa costs $35. My ten-year-old Optima came back with no crack, and I do not know if they replaced the entire barrel/section (likely) or only the section.

If you mean the plastic part of the nib/feed unit, I would contact Kenro in New York to ask if you can buy the plastic part only. Be prepared to send the unit for a required service charge, and hopefully at their Long island headquarters without having to send the little unit to Italy. Of course, you could buy another nib unit (from Kenro or from FPGeeks Classifieds) to tide you over until yours is returned.

The collar that holds the nib and feed in. The Nib/Feed and Feed tail are fine. I've contacted Kenro and hopefully I can at least purchase the collar portion off them.

Spending $500 for a nib unit to tide me over doesn't seem like a frugal thing to do to 'tide' over.
    Last edited by KBeezie; February 18th, 2020 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks

I tried getting a new feed for my 88 with the long time nib and they refused to give me one. I guess I need to somehow prove that I know how to replace it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butthurticus-VIII View Post
    I tried getting a new feed for my 88 with the long time nib and they refused to give me one. I guess I need to somehow prove that I know how to replace it?
    Feed though I imagine is a more involved part and would in theory be usable on other pens (especially as some of them are ebonite feeds). The collar, on the other hand, which seems to be prone to cracking on certain releases, is only ever going to fit in the auroras. (plus I can't see the feed breaking to the same rate or level of wear as the collar would).