Thread: Ink Review: Vinta Inks Sikatuna 1565 - Sandugo

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Ink Review: Vinta Inks Sikatuna 1565 - Sandugo

Cult Pens UK were kind enough to send me some samples of Vinta inks to ask me for my thoughts on them. I didn’t write full reviews on them like I usually do because this was a slightly more informal type of review before the inks were put on sale.

Vinta Inks are proudly made in the Philippines and for every bottle of ink sold the company makes a charitable donation towards the education of Filipino children, and to make their futures better.

This ink is Vinta Inks Sikatuna 1565 aka Sandugo from the sheening ink range.
    Dark red ink with heavy green sheen.

Now they are on sale in the UK I decided to post my reviews on them. If I do more work on them I will add that to these reviews.

I tested these Vinta inks in my Pilot Custom 74 demonstrator pen with M nib. In my experience, this pen writes fairly wet.

The papers I wrote on were:
    A6 Maruman Mnemosyne notebook
    Rhodia DotPad
    Silvine Originals A4 notebook
    Tomoe River Seven Seas Writer Journal

Sikatuna 1565 wrote quite wet and exhibited a fairly long dry time on my smooth papers.

All of the inks I tested have two alternative names on their bottles, English and Filipino. The English name is permanently printed in white on the bottle and the Filipino name is handwritten in script on a paper label further down the bottle. The paper label has an ink swab showing the colour and there is also one of these on the box. I found it quite difficult to read the handwritten script ink names on the paper labels.

Vinta inks are available in attractive 30ml glass bottles from Cult Pens in the UK and Vanness Pen Store in the US.

• Flow Rate: Excellent - quite wet.
    • Lubrication: Excellent.
    • Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
    • Start-up: Immediate.
    • Saturation: Saturated
    • Shading Potential: Plenty of shading and lovely green sheen.
    • Show-Through: Some seen on the papers I used.
    • Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Some seen.
    • Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen, even after several days in the pen.
    • Staining (pen): Not seen after several days - easy clean-up.
    • Staining (hands): Washed off of my hands easily.
    • Clogging: Not seen.
    • Water resistance: Not tested.

Vinta Sikatuna_001a.jpg
    Last edited by Chrissy; February 26th, 2020 at 03:56 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (February 19th, 2020), atomicjay007 (May 2nd, 2020), junglejim (February 21st, 2020), Marsilius (September 26th, 2022), Morgaine (April 18th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (February 19th, 2020)