Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lever Fill pens that won't budge?

Thanks

Default Lever Fill pens that won't budge?

I've currently got a Burnham B54 and CS no 753 and neither of them will budge. I've re-sacced a few burnhams and 2 Handfuls of Conways and never had 2 pens that after half an hour at the most of tugging won't move.

The burnham likely is a thread section and the Conway is likely press.

I''m hesitant to soak them or heat them as it may cause distortion.

Thanks

Default Re: Lever Fill pens that won't budge?

I have had a CS58 that I couldnt open, went away for special treatment and that man couldnt open it either. I think it had been G clamped into place.

Have you used section pliers?

Have you also used heat to try and open the barrel, a hairdryer usually works for me and I havent had any distortion, a tip is to use a hairdryer on a low setting with your thumb close to your target area, when its too hot for your thumb back off the heat,

You are wise not to try soaking, I would keep on using heat for a while and after that either find someone with stronger hands than yourself or an expert.
    Last edited by Fermata; February 25th, 2020 at 05:28 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Section pliers, dry heat and patience. Repeat as necessary. Burnhams are generally threaded, Conway Stewart lever pens are friction fit. Keep them out of water as both bhave BHR sections.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

I am impressed that Top Pen has managed to open pens in the past without heat, I have tried and failed 9 times out of 10.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    I am impressed that Top Pen has managed to open pens in the past without heat, I have tried and failed 9 times out of 10.
    I use an exercise resistance band to give extra grip often that and a hard pull is enough to do it. I do have Loggerhead wrench I don't know if other have read of people using them to grip sections? But I don't particularly like using as it can apply a heck of a lot of force.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by top pen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    I use an exercise resistance band to give extra grip often that and a hard pull is enough to do it. I do have Loggerhead wrench I don't know if other have read of people using them to grip sections? But I don't particularly like using as it can apply a heck of a lot of force.

You have done very well to be successful without heat. I dont know the Loggerhead wrench but I can recommend section pliers, they are designed for the job and are not too expensive, I always think that good tools are worth having, they even have a value when you have stopped doing pen repairs.

https://www.vintagepensacsandparts.c...section_pliers

Having said that, until I was very old I just used warm air, a firm grip and a little patience.

Thanks

Forcing pens open without heat is an unsafe practice. The heat causes differential expansion between the barrel and the section and helps to prevent cracking. If I can separate section and barrel with my fingers (which grow weaker and more arthritic by the day) that's fine. Otherwise I use heat. I haven't cracked a barrel since 2008. I remember that date because it was a beautiful, tiny Waterman red ripple ringtop. I was much aggrieved and said bad things.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Forcing pens open without heat is an unsafe practice. The heat causes differential expansion between the barrel and the section and helps to prevent cracking. If I can separate section and barrel with my fingers (which grow weaker and more arthritic by the day) that's fine. Otherwise I use heat. I haven't cracked a barrel since 2008. I remember that date because it was a beautiful, tiny Waterman red ripple ringtop. I was much aggrieved and said bad things.
    What device do you use apply the heat?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    I agree. Its especially true with hard rubber pens. When the barrel is warmed, there is much less stress when removing the section. Most of us use embossing heat guns as the heat source, and work a couple of inches away from the opening. Some pen like Sheaffer plunger fillers, Parker Vacumatics and 51s usually can not be opened without heat because you have to soften the thread sealant used on the section threads. Soaking isn't likely to work because the thread sealant is water resistant.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 25th, 2020), Jon Szanto (February 25th, 2020), sgphoto (March 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Like Ron, I use an embossing heat gun. Some people say a hair dryer is adequate but I think it doesn't get hot enough.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 25th, 2020), Jon Szanto (February 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

Although I mainly restore American vintage fountain pens, I have done a few Burnham and CS lever and button fillers.

I don't recall the section removal to be out of ordinary that it required me to think more than my usual routine.

One difference is the length of time. I typically have 1-3 pens that I restore at the same time, therefore if one won't budge, I just let it be, soak it in water if it's celluloid, and try with dry heat again the next day. Doing it this way allows me to not count the minutes that I spend on each pen, so the turnaround is slower, but more steady (and a lot less frustrating) in the long run.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 25th, 2020), Jon Szanto (February 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by top pen View Post
    I do have Loggerhead wrench I don't know if other have read of people using them to grip sections? But I don't particularly like using as it can apply a heck of a lot of force.
    If you mean the bionic wrench, I use one but only in combination with heat (another embossing heat gun club member) and a small piece of bike inner tube to provide grip and protection. The drawback to it is a limit to how large a diameter you can grip, but the multipoint pressure from all sides rather than a pinching pressure of classic section pliers is more to my taste. And the amount of pressure you exert is perfectly controllable; no need to whale on anything unless you want to!
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Loggerhead Tools is a US company that makes Bionic wrench and grip tools. While similar they differ in that the bionic grip opens at the gripping end, while the wrench is a circle that doesn't have an open end.

I have both and found the grip is the one I usually turn to. The wrench was only used on one Parker 51 vac in conjunction with a split brass ring type of vac tool on the pump threads.

They both came home from Florida with me in a suitcase one year.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (March 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Loggerhead Tools is a US company that makes Bionic wrench and grip tools. While similar they differ in that the bionic grip opens at the gripping end, while the wrench is a circle that doesn't have an open end.
    I'm aware of this, which is why I clarified what I meant, in the hopes that top pen might reciprocate. To be honest I'm amazed they don't get more airtime among FP users, but the spark plug boot pliers are cheaper, I suppose.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I'm aware of this, which is why I clarified what I meant, in the hopes that top pen might reciprocate. To be honest I'm amazed they don't get more airtime among FP users, but the spark plug boot pliers are cheaper, I suppose.
    I found my spark plug boot pliers get cut up because I tend to use them on things other than tight sections.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I dislike the spark plug pliers. The angle is wrong for me and the plastic coating can become wrinkled or cut and cause damage. I use adjustable pliers with the grips ground off and sections of car fuel line rubber on the grips. Works well for me.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

I got the hot air gun, is there a rule of thumb in regards to how long to place the pen in front of the heat?

Thanks

Quite funny that you use the phrase rule of thumb, I appreciate that a hot air gun is much more powerful that my hairdryer but I put my thumb close to the area to be worked on and when I say ouch is the time to see if the heat has worked.

I have only had one time when I couldnt open a pen using a hairdryer, a professional also failed with that pen.

Thanks

I just opened a reluctant pen with a bionic wrench and a piece of rubber fuel line. I cold-soaked the pen in the bottom drawer of our refrigerator overnight. Then I slipped the rubber hose over the cold section and grabbed it with the wrench. Then I applied heat with a hair dryer, making sure I could keep a finger in the air stream without getting it too hot. Gentle twists and pulls got it apart. The pen is my favorite Sheaffer Valiant. It will get a new sac when I can get a new batch shipped in.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

Thanks

I tried with heat to no avail. Any other options? I just think I could risk burning them if I hold them for much longer.