Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leak in Parker 45 Flighter - fixable?

Thanks

Default Leak in Parker 45 Flighter - fixable?

I have a Parker 45 Flighter, the first model 1964. It has a small leak but I'm unable to locate or fix it...

It doesn't leak while in use, I can use it for hours and no problem. But, let it sit horizontally for some time and it's needed to clean before use.

The leak is always localized just over the nib cover, all around the section border, maybe 2mm thick - see photo #1, but difficult to see.

I've disassembled it, cleaned, etc. I've tried with different inks from different brands, same behavior.

I'm not sure if the leak is in the union between the nib cover and section, or it's between the nib cover and the nib, because I can see "a lot" of ink just in between nib and cover - see photo #2

I'd like to fix it. I know it's a cheap pen, but I love how it writes - I don't know if some owner before me grinded the nib or if it's the standard Parker nib, but it's like a smooth fine stub and I'd like to be able to use it as EDC instead of just "desktop pen".

Last edited by aremesal; February 25th, 2020 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: Leak in Parker 45 Flighter - fixable?

Might be a wee leak in the converter causing the feed to flood. I'd try another converter or a cartridge and eliminate that first at any rate.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Might be a wee leak in the converter causing the feed to flood. I'd try another converter or a cartridge and eliminate that first at any rate.
    I think they have Parker cartridges in a shop round the corner, could try it...

My concern is that it doesn't leak while in use, but if I cap it and uncap a few minutes later, it always leak and have to clean both the section and inside the cap.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,982 Posts

If you have removed the nib and feed, taken them apart, and cleaned all of the parts before reassembling them, then I would agree with grainweevil that it's far more likely to be a problem inside the section. If you're using a converter perhaps check if the plastic end is split as that could cause flooding like this. Alternatively it is possible that the C/C nipple has come off of the internal feed down inside the section. That would mean buying yourself a new section.

It doesn't look like the nib has any special grind on there. Just a normal looking ball of tipping.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Fermata (February 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    If you have removed the nib and feed, taken them apart, and cleaned all of the parts before reassembling them, then I would agree with grainweevil that it's far more likely to be a problem inside the section. If you're using a converter perhaps check if the plastic end is split as that could cause flooding like this. Alternatively it is possible that the C/C nipple has come off of the internal feed down inside the section. That would mean buying yourself a new section.

It doesn't look like the nib has any special grind on there. Just a normal looking ball of tipping.
    Thanks!

Yes, I removed and cleaned everything, two times.

I'm (re)using a cartridge as I didn't have a converter for this pen.

So, if the leak is because of the cartridge, could the ink go down "outside of the feeder"?

What is the "C/C nipple"? Sorry I'm a novice in the FP hobby.

If I buy a new cartridge or converter - which I was going to buy anyway, but still leaking, could it be due to the screw threads too worn so leaks in the union between the section and nib cover? If so, how could I "tighten" that - in an undoable way, that's, I prefer to avoid glue...

Thanks

Chrissy makes a good point on splits and cracks, the collar on the nib can crack, it looks ok when apart from the pen but the crack can open when tightened into the section.

If you have another nib try swapping them out and see if the problem goes away, Battersea sells new nibs for GBP15 or, if you are quick there is a complete boxed 45 on ebay for GBP12 expiring about 15.30

Thanks

The C/C nipple is what the cartridge or converter pushes onto and sits on inside the section. I once bought a 45 that didn't have anything in there for the converter or cartridge to fit onto. Does the converter or cartridge fit very tightly onto something inside the section when you push it in? Or is it at all loose?

If the screw threads on the feed collar are worn then it would be less likely to stay securely inside the end off the section. If you have any silicone grease you could try adding a tiny smear of that to the screw threads on the collar before you screw in the nib & feed section, but you would have to be really careful to not get any at all onto the long thin feeder part.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    Chrissy makes a good point on splits and cracks, the collar on the nib can crack, it looks ok when apart from the pen but the crack can open when tightened into the section.

If you have another nib try swapping them out and see if the problem goes away, Battersea sells new nibs for GBP15 or, if you are quick there is a complete boxed 45 on ebay for GBP12 expiring about 15.30
    Thanks. It could be a micro crack, as when I bought it and wanted to clean it, the collar was tightened VERY hard, maybe forced. Sadly I don't have any other P45.

The eBay auction was really interesting, but shipment to where I'm living now would be 1.5x the price for the pen next July I'll stay in Europe, I'll keep an eye on ebay then.

The C/C nipple is what the cartridge or converter pushes onto and sits on inside the section. I once bought a 45 that didn't have anything in there for the converter or cartridge to fit onto. Does the converter or cartridge fit very tightly onto something inside the section when you push it in? Or is it at all loose?

If the screw threads on the feed collar are worn then it would be less likely to stay securely inside the end off the section. If you have any silicone grease you could try adding a tiny smear of that to the screw threads on the collar before you screw in the nib & feed section, but you would have to be really careful to not get any at all onto the long thin feeder part.
    Thank you, I understand. The cartridge fits good, not loose at all, tightly as usual with any cartridge or converter.

But maybe it's just the cartridge is worn enough to fit well but still leak a bit, as it's an old cartridge reused a number of times...

Thanks

The old cartridge reused a number of times sounds like a good prospect for the cause of the problem, as it might be loose on the C/C nipple by now. Using a converter or a different cartridge sounds like the first step to try.

I recommend you don't try to unscrew the nib unit collar until after you've soaked the whole section in warm water for a few hours.

If this doesn't fix your problem you can easily find a new section on ebay. P&P depends on where in the world you are.
    Last edited by Chrissy; February 25th, 2020 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks

The old cartridge reused a number of times sounds like a good prospect for the cause of the problem, as it might be loose on the C/C nipple by now. Using a converter or a different cartridge sounds like the first step to try.

I recommend you don't try to unscrew the nib unit collar until after you've soaked the whole section in warm water for a few hours.

If this doesn't fix your problem you can easily find a new section on ebay. P&P depends on where in the world you are.
    I'll try to find new cartridges or a converter locally, as sending here (Thailand) anything in those prices is too expensive.

Too late for the advice about soaking in warm water, I already unscrew it a couple of times to clean

Thanks

When you use cartridges, are you using Parker long cartridges or small International type cartridges?

Thanks

When you use cartridges, are you using Parker long cartridges or small International type cartridges?
    Parker long cartridge - the one which holds a lot of ink

Thanks

Ok, I think I found the problem: a friend lend me a good powerful magnifying glass, there's a thin crack in the section, around 5mm long.

Put cartridge with ink after cleaning, wait a bit, and looking through the magnifying glass touch the crack with a tissue -> ink leaks.

So, apart from buying a converter - I was going to buy anyway, the problem is that crack

Can it be fixed with some product, or is it not worth and better to just get a "new" section from the second hand market?

Thanks

That crack can't be fixed so that the pen will write without leaking. You need a replacement section.

Try asking this ebay seller if he will ship this one to you Sadly, it's not black, but if you keep on looking I'm sure you will find either a cheap section or a cheap pen.

I will have a look around and see what I have in my parts box. I have some Parker 45 bits & pieces.
    Last edited by Chrissy; February 25th, 2020 at 07:03 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

aremesal (February 25th, 2020)

Thanks

That crack can't be fixed so that the pen will write without leaking. You need a replacement section.

Try asking this ebay seller if he will ship this one to you Sadly, it's not black, but if you keep on looking I'm sure you will find either a cheap section or a cheap pen.

I will have a look around and see what I have in my parts box. I have some Parker 45 bits & pieces.
    I see, that's what I was thinking.

Thanks for the link, and for your offer, but I think it's not worth. Post to here from USA or EU is around $15, and I paid just $8 for this pen...

I think I will look for another P45 here in the second hand market. As the section is plastic made in every P45, I can aim for any model including the cheap models.

Here in Thailand there are a lot of Parkers from the 60's and 70's both FP and ballpoint pens for sale.

Thank you for your help

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aremesal View Post
    Ok, I think I found the problem: a friend lend me a good powerful magnifying glass, there's a thin crack in the section, around 5mm long.
    Oh, that's too bad, aremesal. Sorry to hear it wasn't the easy answer. Don't know if the Moonman 80 is available cheaply in Thailand, but apparently parts are interchangeable (although I haven't been able to specifically find out if the section is one of them) so it could possibly be a working solution? At the least, I gather the Moonman's nib is its weakest feature, so you could swap in your nib and have a working pen with the writing line you enjoy. Anyway, just a thought.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

aremesal (February 26th, 2020)

Thanks

I have found a black section in my parts box. It's currently attached to a chrome Flighter type barrel that is missing it's black plastic tail end. If you can't find anything locally, please PM me if you wish to discuss it further.

I already checked our Royal Mail price to post a standard Large Letter to Thailand. That cost is currently £3.60 for up to 100grams. Not tracked but insured up to £20. A Large Letter doesn't allow a great thickness for packaging, but I'm a pretty decent packer who could make the best of the available thickness/weight allowance.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

aremesal (February 26th, 2020)

Thanks

Oh, that's too bad, aremesal. Sorry to hear it wasn't the easy answer. Don't know if the Moonman 80 is available cheaply in Thailand, but apparently parts are interchangeable (although I haven't been able to specifically find out if the section is one of them) so it could possibly be a working solution? At the least, I gather the Moonman's nib is its weakest feature, so you could swap in your nib and have a working pen with the writing line you enjoy. Anyway, just a thought.
    Oh, I didn't know about that Moonman 80! yes, here we can get one under $5, worth a try. Even the new Moonman models (that one it's the result of a crazy night between a Kaweco and a TWSBI... ) could be bought under $15.

Thank you for the heads up!

I have found a black section in my parts box. It's currently attached to a chrome Flighter type barrel that is missing it's black plastic tail end. If you can't find anything locally, please PM me if you wish to discuss it further.

I already checked our Royal Mail price to post a standard Large Letter to Thailand. That cost is currently £3.60 for up to 100grams. Not tracked but insured up to £20. A Large Letter doesn't allow a great thickness for packaging, but I'm a pretty decent packer who could make the best of the available thickness/weight allowance.
    Thank you so much for the offer. Problem is that non tracked parcels here in Thailand tend to... "get lost". I think I will try the Moonman option. And then, as I know I'll feel like perverting an old pen with Chinese parts maybe I can contact you when I'm back in Europe in a few months

Thanks

Thank you so much for the offer. Problem is that non tracked parcels here in Thailand tend to... "get lost". I think I will try the Moonman option. And then, as I know I'll feel like perverting an old pen with Chinese parts maybe I can contact you when I'm back in Europe in a few months
    No problem.

Thanks

Oh, I didn't know about that Moonman 80! yes, here we can get one under $5, worth a try. Even the new Moonman models (that one it's the result of a crazy night between a Kaweco and a TWSBI... ) could be bought under $15.

Thank you for the heads up!
    You're very welcome. Let us know how it goes.