Thread: The Ford Paten Pen

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 840 Posts

Default The Ford Patent Pen

Most pen designs have been copied at one time or another. Sheaffer copied the Onoto, Conway Stewart made a half-hearted attempt at copying Sheaffer's Touchdown, and so on it goes. The one pen that has not been historically copied – though it may be copied by the Chinese now – is the Ford Patent Pen. If one had to define it, it's a syringe filler, though it's rather more than that.

Unlike the Sheaffer Vacuum-Fill or the De La Rue Onoto Plunger Fill, the pen fills on the upstroke and the ink is transferred past the seal to the ink chamber on the downstroke. The “valve” (actually part of the seal) remains open in use to allow passage of ink to the nib and the long breather tube allows air in to equalise the pressure. Because it was recognised that pens which held ink in the barrel were particularly subject to blobbing because of the transfer of heat from the hand, the whole assembly is housed in a sleeve.

The Ford pen appears in four sizes: the Lady, the Standard, the Magnum and the desk pen. Mine is a standard measuring 14.6 cm when capped. The other notable thing about the Ford, apart from its filling mechanism, is the quality of the work in hard rubber. The knurled pattern on the ends is quite outstanding. It is not known who made the Ford pen. It was financed by the Ford Blotting Paper Company but the actual manufacture may have been carried out by Wyvern, De la Rue or Valentine. Present opinion seems to favour Wyvern. It went into production in 1931. It was the brainchild of George Stewart Vivian.

There are two versions. The first version, the one I have, has a celluloid barrel to contain the ink. Later pens had a Perspex-like inner barrel. I believe that these are subject to crazing and cracking.

Mine was a gift more than ten years ago so I don't know what it cost then. Depending upon condition, a Standard Ford pen may go for £500 or more today. Obviously, the larger Magnum will fetch a higher price. My pen had been serviced when it came to me and I used it a lot. It was rather remiss of me that I set it aside for a time without filling it with water and when I returned to it some time later it was seized. I got a trickle of water into it and left it for a while. That was enough and the pen returned to full working condition. I think I got off light!

As you might imagine, because of its girth (around 14 mm) it takes a little getting used to. Despite the large quantity of ink that it holds I don't find it heavy. The nib is an absolute delight: somewhere between fine and medium with considerable flexibility should I wish to invoke it. Having learned my lesson, I keep it in almost constant use and fill it with water when I rest it.

It may be the most expensive pen I have – certainly it is the most interesting. These pens are said to be rare but that isn't true. Like any ebonite pen, they can sustain damage particularly in the cap lip and in some of the inner parts. That being the case, Ford pens in good working order are quite uncommon.

With thanks to Dr Laurence Oldfield.
    https://www.penpractice.com/page10.html
    Last edited by Deb; February 25th, 2020 at 12:44 PM.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

azkid (February 27th, 2020), AZuniga (November 14th, 2020), Bisquitlips (November 26th, 2020), catbert (February 25th, 2020), Chrissy (February 25th, 2020), christof (February 25th, 2020), Detman101 (November 14th, 2020), Fermata (February 26th, 2020), fountainpagan (April 13th, 2020), fountainpenkid (November 14th, 2020), FredRydr (February 25th, 2020), markiv (October 24th, 2021), Marsilius (April 19th, 2020), Ole Juul (November 14th, 2020), penwash (February 25th, 2020), Robert (February 25th, 2020), sgphoto (February 25th, 2020), Stands on Feet (November 14th, 2020), XYZZY (November 22nd, 2020), Yazeh (November 14th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: The Ford Patent Pen

Very interesting pen and you did a good job at explaining it. I find your blog most enjoyable.

Cheers.
    Sg

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgphoto For This Useful Post:

Deb (February 26th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Default Re: The Ford Paten Pen

Fascinating pen, Deb.

And actually recognizing the heat transfer's undesirable effect (dripping or burping) and counter it with the design of the pen, that's brilliance.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Deb (February 26th, 2020), Detman101 (November 14th, 2020)

Thanks

Thats an amazing pen Deb, I have only seen one other, perhaps that was the same pen before restoration.

A technical Tour de Force.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Deb (February 26th, 2020)

Thanks

Thank you all for your kind comments. My one regret about this post is that I didn't photograph the inner barrel when it was not full of ink. It's pink/amber and semi-transparent and would have given some sights of the filling mechanism. However, if you follow the link to Dr Oldfield's site you will see a much more in-depth explanation with good illustrations.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (November 14th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

I can see the ink inside the inner barrel.
    Can I ask if you find it uncomfortable to hold if you are holding it on the screw threads?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I'm sorry I didn't answer this sooner, Chrissy. I missed it, somehow. I hold it above the screw threads. That seems the natural position.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

I saw this thread only now, but I am always glad to see references to Ford Patent Pen, I just love this pen and I am never tired to write with it. I have more than twenty, different sizes, Black, Red Ripple, Silver overlay, Enamel... (Deb, I visit your webpage often).
    What a great surprise to read someone writing about Ford !!

Thanks

Wow...I never knew that company made pens too!
    Awesome!
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Wow...I never knew that company made pens too!
    Awesome!
    What company? Wyvern?

It is not known who made the Ford pen. It was financed by the Ford Blotting Paper Company but the actual manufacture may have been carried out by Wyvern, De la Rue or Valentine. Present opinion seems to favour Wyvern.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AZuniga View Post
    I saw this thread only now, but I am always glad to see references to Ford Patent Pen, I just love this pen and I am never tired to write with it. I have more than twenty, different sizes, Black, Red Ripple, Silver overlay, Enamel... (Deb, I visit your webpage often).
    I'm replying on Deb's behalf, AZuniga. I would love to see pictures of your amazing Ford collection. As you say, they are seldom written about with the result that we don't see many of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

I had the other Ford fountain pen, with the famous Ford script on the clip. I gave it to the son of an engineer who took part in the design of the 1964 Mustang with the suggestion that it was Henry's own pen. He knew better than to believe me.

Thanks

I had one of them, made by Cross if memory serves.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AZuniga View Post
    I'm replying on Deb's behalf, AZuniga. I would love to see pictures of your amazing Ford collection. As you say, they are seldom written about with the result that we don't see many of them.
    Here is at least one picture, as soon as I have some time I will upload an image of the whole lot...
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AZuniga For This Useful Post:

azkid (November 22nd, 2020), da vinci (October 25th, 2021), FredRydr (November 22nd, 2020), markiv (October 24th, 2021), XYZZY (November 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

Man! Those are beautiful and precious. I've seen some of those before but not the yellow one.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wonderful reference for Fords
    Here are some that I have been fortunate to add; 2nd one if a custom built on salvaged parts from a magnum.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to markiv For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (October 25th, 2021), christof (October 24th, 2021), da vinci (October 25th, 2021), eachan (October 25th, 2021), penwash (October 24th, 2021)