Thread: Beware of an ongoing scam!

Thanks

Default Beware of an ongoing scam!

Today I got a message from someone here on FPGeeks saying this person had 'seen a post elsewhere' for a pen that I was looking for here through a WTB ad.
    He gave me an email address, which I responded to. The response I got looked quite fishy, with what seemed to be stock images on pens not matching what I was looking for in more than manufacturer name.

I just saw a post on reddit warning about a very similar apparent scam, see

http://www.reddit.com/r/Pen_Swap/com...scammer_alert/

EDIT 1: As no crime has been confirmed, I was initially not sure if I should share all the e-mail addresses and aliases involved. In light of the overwhelming agreement that something seems to be up,
    here goes: As was mentioned below, the e-mail address is wondewomantnw@gmail.com (Teresa from Texas), and the user is Joseph.

EDIT 2: Updated link. Thanks Chrissy!
    Last edited by aronw; February 27th, 2020 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Beware of an ongoing scam!

I received a similar message yesterday, but when I saw the sender had made zero posts, I didn't follow up.
    I use a fountain pen and a paper planner - paperinkplan.wordpress.com

Thanks

FPG has been the preferred scam site of one Jason Mei. Typically, after he has been "outed," he goes back into hiding for a while. But, he always returns.........

I understand your sensitivity about posting e-mails and aliases but please do us all a favor and look back at the previous threads which have exposed this creep and see if there are any similarities. Or, if you prefer, PM me with whatever information you can share and I'll try to help you sort it out. If it is him, he WILL scam folks before he gets exposed. Let's please not let that happen again!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aronw View Post
    Today I got a message from someone here on FPGeeks saying this person had 'seen a post elsewhere' for a pen that I was looking for here through a WTB ad.
    He gave me an email address, which I responded to. The response I got looked quite fishy, with what seemed to be stock images on pens not matching what I was looking for in more than manufacturer name.

I just saw a post on reddit warning about a very similar apparent scam, see

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pen_Swap/co...wtb_watch_out/

As no crime has been confirmed, I'm not sure if I should share all the e-mail addresses and aliases involved, but at the very least you have the scheme they seem to be following and some more details over at reddit.
    The reddit post linked to here has been removed but see this reddit post instead for more information.
    The PM sender on FPG with no posts is "Joseph" and the email address that he gives in the message is the same as the one in this reddit post. I was sent a message giving me the same email address that he says belongs to someone called Teresa from Texas. When I merely asked for the link to the Classified ad on here I received no reply.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Some definite similarities to Jason Mei's scams. It would not be surprising if it was him. People are best advised to be cautious!

Thanks

I received similar in the messages before. I just ignore them and I think it's the best thing to do in order to avoid getting scammed. I do the same with any other side that I actually use and I don't trust at all. Sometimes you look for information on some topics that come from sources completely untrustworthy! That being said there are actually tools to check for yourself before you even register or you are ready to insert any personal data at. You can give a try to wpaudioplayer.com And see for yourself the ease of validating sites with their program. Pretty cool.
    Last edited by Orlybag; March 27th, 2021 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orlybag View Post
    I received similar in the messages before. I just ignore them and I think it's the best thing to do in order to avoid getting scammed. I do the same with any other side that I actually use and I don't trust at all. Sometimes you look for information on some topics that come from sources completely untrustworthy! That being said there are actually tools to check for yourself before you even register or you are ready to insert any personal data at. You can give a try to wpaudioplayer.com And see for yourself the ease of validating sites with their program. Pretty cool.
    I think your message is spam and advertising!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipDine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlybag View Post
    I think your message is spam and advertising!
    For sure it is.
    When you see spammers like the one you noticed - "Orlybag" - you should press the small triangle to the right of the Thanks legend at the bottom left of the post and report it to the administrator by saying it's a spammer rather than trying to engage in conversation with them.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

damfino (May 2nd, 2021), Ole Juul (April 8th, 2021), sharmon202 (April 28th, 2021)

Thanks

Just got one from schwartzstuart6 telling me of someone in Texas who is selling a Pilot 74 with a PO nib.

I'm grateful the scammer chose the combination of pen and nib which does not exist!

Scammer reported.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    Just got one from schwartzstuart6 telling me of someone in Texas who is selling a Pilot 74 with a PO nib.

I'm grateful the scammer chose the combination of pen and nib which does not exist!
    That's probably a way to weed out potential marks. Those (like you) who are aware of that discrepancy are not of interest to the scammer. Same with email scammers, bad English and grammar is a great way to narrow down the field because the group who is not alerted by the obvious will contain more gullible people.

Thanks

Everyone who posts a WTB ad seems to be targeted. So it's worth being aware that's what the scammers are doing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

If you search that email address, the first 6 hits are for different forums warning of a possible scam. It quickly devolves into articles about how to tell your parents you're dating.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    If you search that email address, the first 6 hits are for different forums warning of a possible scam. It quickly devolves into articles about how to tell your parents you're dating.
    Any advice on how to tell my wife?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BayesianPrior For This Useful Post:

Stands on Feet (May 7th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Any advice on how to tell my wife?
    It's funny but that got me thinking that this person may be doing dating site scams also.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot