Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Beware of an ongoing scam!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Tel Aviv
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Beware of an ongoing scam!

    Today I got a message from someone here on FPGeeks saying this person had 'seen a post elsewhere' for a pen that I was looking for here through a WTB ad.
    He gave me an email address, which I responded to. The response I got looked quite fishy, with what seemed to be stock images on pens not matching what I was looking for in more than manufacturer name.

    I just saw a post on reddit warning about a very similar apparent scam, see

    http://www.reddit.com/r/Pen_Swap/com...scammer_alert/

    EDIT 1: As no crime has been confirmed, I was initially not sure if I should share all the e-mail addresses and aliases involved. In light of the overwhelming agreement that something seems to be up,
    here goes: As was mentioned below, the e-mail address is wondewomantnw@gmail.com (Teresa from Texas), and the user is Joseph.

    EDIT 2: Updated link. Thanks Chrissy!
    Last edited by aronw; February 27th, 2020 at 12:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member countrydirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Posts
    420
    Thanks
    521
    Thanked 297 Times in 156 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Beware of an ongoing scam!

    I received a similar message yesterday, but when I saw the sender had made zero posts, I didn't follow up.
    I use a fountain pen and a paper planner - paperinkplan.wordpress.com

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 33 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Beware of an ongoing scam!

    FPG has been the preferred scam site of one Jason Mei. Typically, after he has been "outed," he goes back into hiding for a while. But, he always returns.........

    I understand your sensitivity about posting e-mails and aliases but please do us all a favor and look back at the previous threads which have exposed this creep and see if there are any similarities. Or, if you prefer, PM me with whatever information you can share and I'll try to help you sort it out. If it is him, he WILL scam folks before he gets exposed. Let's please not let that happen again!

  4. #4
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,575
    Thanks
    3,779
    Thanked 6,606 Times in 2,687 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Beware of an ongoing scam!

    Quote Originally Posted by aronw View Post
    Today I got a message from someone here on FPGeeks saying this person had 'seen a post elsewhere' for a pen that I was looking for here through a WTB ad.
    He gave me an email address, which I responded to. The response I got looked quite fishy, with what seemed to be stock images on pens not matching what I was looking for in more than manufacturer name.

    I just saw a post on reddit warning about a very similar apparent scam, see

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Pen_Swap/co...wtb_watch_out/

    As no crime has been confirmed, I'm not sure if I should share all the e-mail addresses and aliases involved, but at the very least you have the scheme they seem to be following and some more details over at reddit.
    The reddit post linked to here has been removed but see this reddit post instead for more information.
    The PM sender on FPG with no posts is "Joseph" and the email address that he gives in the message is the same as the one in this reddit post. I was sent a message giving me the same email address that he says belongs to someone called Teresa from Texas. When I merely asked for the link to the Classified ad on here I received no reply.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 33 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Beware of an ongoing scam!

    Some definite similarities to Jason Mei's scams. It would not be surprising if it was him. People are best advised to be cautious!

  6. #6
    Junior Member Orlybag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Colorado Denver
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Beware of an ongoing scam!

    I received similar in the messages before. I just ignore them and I think it's the best thing to do in order to avoid getting scammed. I do the same with any other side that I actually use and I don't trust at all. Sometimes you look for information on some topics that come from sources completely untrustworthy! That being said there are actually tools to check for yourself before you even register or you are ready to insert any personal data at. You can give a try to wpaudioplayer.com And see for yourself the ease of validating sites with their program. Pretty cool.
    Last edited by Orlybag; March 27th, 2021 at 03:26 PM.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Beware of an ongoing scam!

    Quote Originally Posted by Orlybag View Post
    I received similar in the messages before. I just ignore them and I think it's the best thing to do in order to avoid getting scammed. I do the same with any other side that I actually use and I don't trust at all. Sometimes you look for information on some topics that come from sources completely untrustworthy! That being said there are actually tools to check for yourself before you even register or you are ready to insert any personal data at. You can give a try to wpaudioplayer.com And see for yourself the ease of validating sites with their program. Pretty cool.
    I think your message is spam and advertising!

  8. #8
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,575
    Thanks
    3,779
    Thanked 6,606 Times in 2,687 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Beware of an ongoing scam!

    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipDine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlybag View Post
    I received similar in the messages before. I just ignore them and I think it's the best thing to do in order to avoid getting scammed. I do the same with any other side that I actually use and I don't trust at all. Sometimes you look for information on some topics that come from sources completely untrustworthy! That being said there are actually tools to check for yourself before you even register or you are ready to insert any personal data at. You can give a try to wpaudioplayer.com And see for yourself the ease of validating sites with their program. Pretty cool.
    I think your message is spam and advertising!
    For sure it is.
    When you see spammers like the one you noticed - "Orlybag" - you should press the small triangle to the right of the Thanks legend at the bottom left of the post and report it to the administrator by saying it's a spammer rather than trying to engage in conversation with them.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    damfino (May 2nd, 2021), Ole Juul (April 8th, 2021), sharmon202 (April 28th, 2021)

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    656
    Thanks
    208
    Thanked 263 Times in 142 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Beware of an ongoing scam!

    Just got one from schwartzstuart6 telling me of someone in Texas who is selling a Pilot 74 with a PO nib.

    I'm grateful the scammer chose the combination of pen and nib which does not exist!

    Scammer reported.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Ole Juul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Coalmont, BC, Canada
    Posts
    402
    Thanks
    555
    Thanked 386 Times in 205 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Beware of an ongoing scam!

    Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    Just got one from schwartzstuart6 telling me of someone in Texas who is selling a Pilot 74 with a PO nib.

    I'm grateful the scammer chose the combination of pen and nib which does not exist!
    That's probably a way to weed out potential marks. Those (like you) who are aware of that discrepancy are not of interest to the scammer. Same with email scammers, bad English and grammar is a great way to narrow down the field because the group who is not alerted by the obvious will contain more gullible people.

  12. #11
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,575
    Thanks
    3,779
    Thanked 6,606 Times in 2,687 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Beware of an ongoing scam!

    Everyone who posts a WTB ad seems to be targeted. So it's worth being aware that's what the scammers are doing.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  13. #12
    FPG Donor ♕ KrazyIvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Texas-USA
    Posts
    5,026
    Thanks
    1,446
    Thanked 1,759 Times in 924 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Beware of an ongoing scam!

    If you search that email address, the first 6 hits are for different forums warning of a possible scam. It quickly devolves into articles about how to tell your parents you're dating.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    656
    Thanks
    208
    Thanked 263 Times in 142 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Beware of an ongoing scam!

    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    If you search that email address, the first 6 hits are for different forums warning of a possible scam. It quickly devolves into articles about how to tell your parents you're dating.
    Any advice on how to tell my wife?

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to BayesianPrior For This Useful Post:

    Stands on Feet (May 7th, 2021)

  16. #14
    FPG Donor ♕ KrazyIvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Texas-USA
    Posts
    5,026
    Thanks
    1,446
    Thanked 1,759 Times in 924 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Beware of an ongoing scam!

    Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    If you search that email address, the first 6 hits are for different forums warning of a possible scam. It quickly devolves into articles about how to tell your parents you're dating.
    Any advice on how to tell my wife?
    It's funny but that got me thinking that this person may be doing dating site scams also.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •