Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The Virus

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Default Re: The Virus

Covid-19 — Navigating the Uncharted New England Journal of Medicine, 26 March 2020

A short editorial by Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., H. Clifford Lane, M.D., and Robert R. Redfield, M.D., well worth the time to read.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 29th, 2020), Chrissy (March 29th, 2020), Dreck (March 28th, 2020), Jon Szanto (March 28th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Covid-19 — Navigating the Uncharted New England Journal of Medicine, 26 March 2020

A short editorial by Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., H. Clifford Lane, M.D., and Robert R. Redfield, M.D., well worth the time to read.
    It was an interesting read and I was happy to see what drugs they are testing to put forward as potential vaccines. For me, personally, I would prefer to leave out "traditional Chinese medicine products."
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 29th, 2020), Chemyst (March 29th, 2020)

Thanks

I liked Matt's cartoon of the 14th on the matter of armchair experts:

matt14march20.jpg
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (March 29th, 2020), catbert (March 29th, 2020), Chemyst (March 29th, 2020), Chrissy (March 29th, 2020), countrydirt (March 29th, 2020), ethernautrix (March 29th, 2020), Morgaine (March 29th, 2020), RWS (March 29th, 2020)

Thanks

There are five houses close to me,

1, No virus,

3 virus infected, he is a 74 year GP,

5 No virus,

7 has the virus, a couple, she already has a bad lung condition,

9 a couple and a teenage son, he was sent home from Uni with the virus and has passed it to his mother, he is ok but she is in a serious condition.

It is said that the next 2 weeks will be the most serious, it cannot get much worse.

I am on complete lockdown and hoping for the best

Not enjoying this at all, thank goodness for Owzthat

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Deb (March 30th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Take great care. Please stay well.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Fermata (March 30th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    There are five houses close to me,

1, No virus,

3 virus infected, he is a 74 year GP,

5 No virus,

7 has the virus, a couple, she already has a bad lung condition,

9 a couple and a teenage son, he was sent home from Uni with the virus and has passed it to his mother, he is ok but she is in a serious condition.

It is said that the next 2 weeks will be the most serious, it cannot get much worse.

I am on complete lockdown and hoping for the best

Not enjoying this at all, thank goodness for Owzthat
    Be very mindful and stay well.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (March 30th, 2020), Fermata (March 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Fauci
    Speaking of which, here’s liberal Fauci on AIDS back in 1983, when he was with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, but not yet its director: "As the months go by, we see more and more groups. AIDS is creeping out of well-defined epidemiological confines.” (It didn’t.)

In 1987, Fauci warned that French kissing might transmit the AIDS virus, saying, “Health officials have to presume that it is possible to transmit the virus by exchange of saliva in deep kissing. That presumption is made to be extra safe."

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

:-(

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

A new episode from John Oliver, ruthless honest, razor sharp to the point as always:

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 30th, 2020), azkid (March 30th, 2020), Brilliant Bill (March 30th, 2020), catbert (March 30th, 2020)

Thanks

I just tried to, write to say what I feel about this (from UK) have a look on the internet about the "Spanish Flu" circa 1918/19
    it was not 100000 it was millions that died millions, they did not have a cure either!

Think about it.

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

This virus, like at least one previously, came from a "wet" market in Wuhan. Preparing food in terrible conditions.
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 85AKbN View Post
    Fauci
    Bullshit copied directly from Breitbart/Coulter. Except the poster was too squeamish to include her description of Dr. Fauci as a "sex symbol". This is the pathetic mindset of a cult.

I am deeply appreciative of Dr. Fauci's efforts during such a difficult time, and disgusted with the people who would choose to smear him in an agenda driven by... precisely what, I couldn't say. Partisan hatred, I guess.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 30th, 2020), Brilliant Bill (March 30th, 2020), catbert (March 30th, 2020), Freddie (March 30th, 2020), LeFreak (March 31st, 2020), Marsilius (April 4th, 2020), Pterodactylus (March 30th, 2020), TSherbs (March 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Having doctors in positions of power has never ended well. Look at the obesity / type 2 diabetes world wide epidemic, all started by Dr. Ancel Keys and his cherry picking 7 countries study and the birth of the low fat craze that brought on global inflammation, resultant increase in heart disease, obesity and type 2 diabetes global epidemic, and incorrectly vilifying cholesterol. Granted, Keys had help a few years later by McGovern's subcommittee and subsequent flawed dietary guidelines, which to this day affect how kids overeat carbohydrates by cutting fat, in the hopes that not eating fat will keep you from getting fat. While my wife did not eat a low carb high fat diet like I did, she did cut her carbs and reversed her type 2 diabetes. I always accompany her into her diabetes appointment and it's true - there is no talk of diet to reverse this chronic disease - only what drug do I prescribe, do we up the dose? Typical medical answer - treat the symptom, why worry about the cause?

Then there is the WHO and their cancer is caused by eating meat vegan / vegetarian agenda. Another blatant case of cherry picking data.

And the EAT Lancet report - another vegan / vegetarian misinformation cherry picked report.

So yes - I am skeptical as a first reaction whenever a doctor starts talking about the greater good.
    Last edited by 85AKbN; March 30th, 2020 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks

Having doctors in positions of power has never ended well.
    Yep, that Dr. Jonas Salk was a complete fraud, allowed to inflict his quack experiments on an unsuspecting public. What were people thinking?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (April 4th, 2020)

Thanks

As you know, he was not in a power position and did not dictate policy. His track record is unquestionable and unimpeachable, unlike Fauci. Didn't know who Ancel Keys was huh..., not surprised.

Thanks

As you know, he was not in a power position and did not dictate policy. His track record is unquestionable and unimpeachable, unlike Fauci. Didn't know who Ancel Keys was huh..., not surprised.
    He was close enough to setting world-wide precedent that I think it counts, especially when you dismiss ALL medical professionals out of hand. People, such as yourself, who see conspiracies around most corners always have cherry-picked data points available at hand. I did not specifically know about Dr. Keys, but I do know a few things about diabetes and the many modes of onset and treatment, including diet and pharmaceuticals. It is not a one-size fits all disease, as you seem to imply.

But that really is a side issue. You are out to smear the reputation of Dr. Anthony Fauci, I believe. It is part of the current marching orders of one segment of The Partisans. Assuming that's your mission, I have no interest in this, not until your Kool-Aid runs out.

Yeah, I truly am dismissing this crap out of hand.

~ Benjamin Franklin

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (April 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Fauci vs Salk. Salk did not affect economical decisions to the extent that Fauci has (who will be judged by history), who has zero expertise in this field that is outside of his purview. You know - Ann's point:

Oh, that's not my field.

All medical professionals out of hand? Wow. Such fare reaching limits lol! My primary care physician's assistant (PA) for sure. On the plus side, he did approve my sleep apnea study. On the negative / questionable, he freaked when my LDL got high after cutting carbs [ * sigh ].

Thanks

Heard our cousin died from this thing yesterday. He was in several at risk categories, and to a certain extent the best thing for him. But dying of something that means your family can't be with you is not okay whatever your age or your state of health, and that's the cruelty of this situation.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

Dr. Fauci is bringing to bear, upon an unprecedented situation, a lifetime of research and service. He is not an economic advisor. The leader of the nation, making these decisions, must be wise and intelligent enough to parse through the data and recommendations given to him from a panorama of experts in their respective fields.

Well, that is pretty much where we've gotten fucked, except for the instances where the people who actually know stuff have been able to dissuade him from errors not just of monumental idiocy born of arrogance, but miscalculations that will have cost many, many additional lives needlessly. At that point, enter the screaming heads, the pundits of the right, to start the smear campaign. So injurious for such ugly reasons. It is as crazy as it is a sorrow.

The good news, and it is partial and momentary and part data / part hopeful, is that it appears the distancing strategy is paying off in lower infection rates, in places like Seattle and the Bay area in California. I'm grateful that Gov. Newsome was pro-active in formulating policy early and I'm cautiously optimistic that it will have a net positive effect on infection rate, and therefore lower the death rate. We'll come back after that. The way that people are helping each other out through this, in the area I live in, is gratifying.

~ Benjamin Franklin

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 31st, 2020), Gobblecup (April 1st, 2020), Marsilius (April 4th, 2020), Pterodactylus (March 31st, 2020), TSherbs (March 31st, 2020)