Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The Virus

Thanks

Default Re: The Virus

Quote Originally Posted by jrthemoon View Post
    PLEASE can someone tell me what this fascination is with toilet paper is it a fetish thing ?

Is this the moment Americans switch over to the bidet?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

LeFreak (March 14th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    PLEASE can someone tell me what this fascination is with toilet paper is it a fetish thing ?

Not necessarily, there is also another economic solution which is already available at every home.

No need to buy an additional sponge.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 1,165 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post

Not necessarily, there is also another economic solution which is already available at every home.

No need to buy an additional sponge.

There are historical precedents.

From Wikipedia:
    The xylospongium or tersorium, also known as sponge on a stick, was a hygienic utensil used by ancient Romans to wipe their anus after defecating, consisting of a wooden stick (Greek: ξύλον, Xylon) with a sea sponge (Greek: Σπόγγος, Spongos) fixed at one end.

The tersorium was shared by people using public latrines. To clean the sponge, they simply washed it in a bucket with water and salt or vinegar. This became a breeding ground for bacteria, causing the spread of disease in the latrine.

Thanks

We have gone in to complete lockdown. Only our pacific neighbours are allowed in. Oh, and American billionaires in private jets...
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sgphoto View Post
    Remember in the public latrines in Rome, sponges were tied to sticks.

Costco just announced all stores are out of sponges and sticks.

However, emergency supplies of corn cobs are being rushed from the Midwest to all their stores.

It could be rough going for some.

Sg
    In China the traditional method was slivers of bamboo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post

The hallmark of civilization is how far we can get away from our own waste. The end of TP marks the end of civilization for some. The implications for the world a few days after the last rolls are produced are enormous.
    I guess that would trigger a mad rush for leaves on trees?

"Future Updated news: Millions of acres of trees have been suddenly denuded over the past week as people all over the world look for some form of replacement for non-existent toilet paper. Carbon dioxide levels are rising rapidly and oxygen levels fall as a result of this tragic loss. More news at eleven, but first a message from our advertisers."
    The Golgafrinchans might have something to say about using currency for sanitary needs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Dreck (March 14th, 2020)

Thanks

The hallmark of civilization is how far we can get away from our own waste. The end of TP marks the end of civilization for some. The implications for the world a few days after the last rolls are produced are enormous.

"Future Updated news: Millions of acres of trees have been suddenly denuded over the past week as people all over the world look for some form of replacement for non-existent toilet paper. Carbon dioxide levels are rising rapidly and oxygen levels fall as a result of this tragic loss. More news at eleven, but first a message from our advertisers."
    The Golgafrinchans might have something to say about using currency for sanitary needs.
    I don't know. It solves the inflation problem as effectively as burning down the forests.

A podcast noted that inexpensive paperback editions of War and Peace run 1,000 pages or so, but that just seems wrong ...

Thanks

Vintage Sears and Roebucks catalogs are bringing top dollar outside grocery stores as are old New York City phone books.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

Ridiculous. They’ve shut down all our blood drives for the regional blood bank in which I work. By the end of next week, 11 counties will be without a blood supply. Now that’s a crisis.

On a brighter note, our parish will continue to have Mass and Friday’s Lenten Fish Fry was sold out early.
    Last edited by VertOlive; March 14th, 2020 at 07:01 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

dneal (March 26th, 2020), jar (March 15th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Ridiculous. They’ve shut down all our blood drives for the regional blood bank in which I work. By the end of next week, 11 counties will be without a blood supply. Now that’s a crisis....
    I agree. That's bullshit. Sorry to hear this.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TSherbs; March 14th, 2020 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post

I don't know. It solves the inflation problem as effectively as burning down the forests.

A podcast noted that inexpensive paperback editions of War and Peace run 1,000 pages or so, but that just seems wrong ...
    I had not thought about that. That could be effective to control inflation. Do you have some banknotes that you could send me to experiment with?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Ridiculous. They’ve shut down all our blood drives for the regional blood bank in which I work. By the end of next week, 11 counties will be without a blood supply. Now that’s a crisis.
    Well, at least in the metro Boston area, all elective medical procedures are curtailed and the number of drivers has also gone way down. Both of which should lower the demand for fresh whole blood.

On a brighter note, our parish will continue to have Mass and Friday’s Lenten Fish Fry was sold out early.
    Interesting. Most religious organizations near me are cancelling events and dialing back on services, out of concern for their (mostly older, often in ill health) parishioners.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chemyst View Post
    Interesting. Most religious organizations near me are cancelling events and dialing back on services, out of concern for their (mostly older, often in ill health) parishioners.
    Except those that are encouraging their congregations to assemble so Jesus can protect them...
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Except those that are encouraging their congregations to assemble so Jesus can protect them...
    Yes, well Boston and New England in general never really took to the apocalyptic mega church movement. Here it is mostly Roman Catholic, Episcopalian, Methodist and Lutheran congregations. Most of which skew heavily into the high-risk categories for COVID-19 exposure.

Thanks

Jesus has such a good track record. Look how He protected Jim Jones and the flock assembled in Jonestown.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post

Why would you consider this person a definitive source?
    Hi Chuck. I don't. He made no such claims either.

I value his outlook because he has relevant experience and a developed set of thinking tools.

I've known him personally for about 4 years, I trust him not to lie to me or try to manage some narrative.

We talk in probabilities, not certainties. We're doing our best to understand things over here, not trying to be right.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (March 16th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post

I had not thought about that. That could be effective to control inflation. Do you have some banknotes that you could send me to experiment with?
    I'm isolating what little I have to reduce potential vectors of infection and suggest you do the same. You never know where that stuff has been. (Seriously, though, I tap to pay whenever I can.)

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (March 15th, 2020), sgphoto (March 15th, 2020)

Thanks

We have gone in to complete lockdown. Only our pacific neighbours are allowed in. Oh, and American billionaires in private jets...
    Actually, and sorry to all Americans it is NOT a "lockdown" it is a "Quarantine", another example of OVER hype.

CNN and other channels wrongly use lockdown is is NOT

Lockdown

The confining of prisoners to their cells, typically in order to regain control during a riot. A state of isolation or restricted access instituted as a security measure.

Quarantine

A state, period, or place of isolation in which people or animals that have arrived from elsewhere or been exposed to infectious or contagious disease are placed.
    Last edited by jrthemoon; March 15th, 2020 at 06:09 AM.
    I am Autistic, Aspergers, so I apologize if I occasionally post without thinking (as in speak without .....) no rudeness is ever intended Thanks

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jrthemoon For This Useful Post:

LeFreak (March 15th, 2020)

Thanks

A small empty spray bottle filled with 70% rubbing alcohol and paper towels fits in the pocket and is useful for many things. I had to hand a pharmacist my ID last week. When she gave it back I had a paper towel in my hand for her to lay it on. Sprayed it on both sides, and wiped it.

Add a few drops of dishwashing soap (Dawn) as that helps the alcohol/water adhere to the surface and can breakdown the fatty exterior of the virus cell. A drop of red food color or red ink in the bottle will help you identify the contents.

Be aware of all the upcoming uses that little spray bottle of alcohol can have in the weeks ahead. In certain applications that spray bottle is more effective and much easier to use than hand sanitizer.
    Last edited by sgphoto; March 15th, 2020 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgphoto View Post
    A small empty spray bottle filled with 70% rubbing alcohol and paper towels fits in the pocket and is useful for many things. I had to hand a pharmacist my ID last week. When she gave it back I had a paper towel in my hand for her to lay it on. Sprayed it on both sides, and wiped it.

Think of all the upcoming uses that little spray bottle of alcohol can have in the weeks ahead. In certain applications that spray bottle is more effective and much easier to use than hand sanitizer.

Ahead of you

Got these three months ago always carry them have for years

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also it is amazing how people who have NO idea are buying anti bacterial wipes and gel which is 100% USELESS against a VIRUS, open the pack and pour in some Isopropyl alcohol. Been adding it to our for years ordinary wipes gels do NOT act on a VIRUS. If you want to be 100% also add a capful of Dettol https://www.dettol.co.uk/products/ha...quid-original/

Another tip, as morons are over buying these wipes get NAPPY BABY wipes and add alcohol, avoid ebay you don't know what is in it.

IMG_20200315_121319998[1].jpg

rhnfjk.jpg
    Last edited by jrthemoon; March 15th, 2020 at 06:20 AM.
    I am Autistic, Aspergers, so I apologize if I occasionally post without thinking (as in speak without .....) no rudeness is ever intended Thanks