Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The Virus

Thanks

Default Re: The Virus

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    On a brighter note, our parish will continue to have Mass and Friday’s Lenten Fish Fry was sold out early.
    Our parish still has Mass, but those who are old, sick, or vulnerable have been dispensed. Also, all the remaining fish fries have been cancelled.
    In my mug: Sailor 21 P-P M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger T-W M, Jinhao 159 , Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsities, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Ahab 1.1, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M, Hero 616 M, Jinhao X750

31 and counting

DaveBj

Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post

The hallmark of civilization is how far we can get away from our own waste. The end of TP marks the end of civilization for some. The implications for the world a few days after the last rolls are produced are enormous.
    I guess that would trigger a mad rush for leaves on trees?

"Future Updated news: Millions of acres of trees have been suddenly denuded over the past week as people all over the world look for some form of replacement for non-existent toilet paper. Carbon dioxide levels are rising rapidly and oxygen levels fall as a result of this tragic loss. More news at eleven, but first a message from our advertisers."
    The Golgafrinchans might have something to say about using currency for sanitary needs.
    I don't know. It solves the inflation problem as effectively as burning down the forests.

A podcast noted that inexpensive paperback editions of War and Peace run 1,000 pages or so, but that just seems wrong ...
    I had not thought about that. That could be effective to control inflation. Do you have some banknotes that you could send me to experiment with?
    I'm isolating what little I have to reduce potential vectors of infection and suggest you do the same. You never know where that stuff has been. (Seriously, though, I tap to pay whenever I can.)
    I remember small denomination notes in China that looked like they had been used with inflation control in mind. I had to give my 3 y/o a note the size of a bureaucrats monthly salary to buy sweets with once because of hygiene issues.

Thanks

Toilet paper was invented right around the time when Sears Roebuck began printing its catalog on slick paper.

Edited to add: If you went on a cracker diet, you would only need a whisk broom.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

Thanks

...Friday’s Lenten Fish Fry was sold out early.
    More panic buying.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (March 15th, 2020), VertOlive (March 15th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrthemoon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    We have gone in to complete lockdown. Only our pacific neighbours are allowed in. Oh, and American billionaires in private jets...
    Actually, and sorry to all Americans it is NOT a "lockdown" it is a "Quarantine", another example of OVER hype humour.
    FTFY
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,812 Times in 1,648 Posts

Our diocese is expecting to see bans on crowds of over 250. The plan is to simply hold more Masses and limit admission. Voluntary, of course. Our parish priest notes that we are all adults and can both wash our hands and decide for ourselves what to do.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,424 Posts

Our diocese is expecting to see bans on crowds of over 250. The plan is to simply hold more Masses and limit admission. Voluntary, of course. Our parish priest notes that we are all adults and can both wash our hands and decide for ourselves what to do.
    I like this approach, as long as we remember that sometimes our actions don't hurt us but rather the next person (or three persons) down the exchange. As with vaccines, sometimes we do these things to help the broader community as much as to help ourselves individually.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (March 15th, 2020), Jon Szanto (March 15th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Totally wrong, you get the virus via droplet infection as well as smear infection.
    The virus can survive up to 9 days on surfaces like glass or metal.

It’s not enough to wash your hands. And claim to be an adult.
    It’s a collective responsibility against the old, the small children, the weak and the people with pre existing illnesses.
    One infected can infest hundreds of others before he show any sign of illness.

E.g, one doctor here in Austria infested many other people in a hospital (patients including babies, other doctors and nurses) before even knowing to be ill.
    He just was skiing in Tyrol before and you canˋt claim that doctors usually don’t wash their hands.

Here in Austria we have a almost complete lockdown (also in many other European countries), shops beside supermarkets, drugstores, gas station, post (essential shops) stay closed.
    People in companies telework wherever possible.
    People should stay at home, only go out to buy food, go to work, buy medicine is allowed.
    From tomorrow on even go for a stroll with people not living together with you is prohibited, as well as entering parks and playgrounds.

You know what exponential growth is?

The infection rates grow exponential, such drastic measures are unavoidable if you want to avoid hundred thousands or even millions of death because of a collapse of the health care system.
    Look at Italy, it just started, but in the north the health care system already collapsed, doctors have to decide who get medication and a intensive care unit bed and who not, just like in war.... decisions... life or die.......
    Unbelievable even a month ago in a western country with well developed health care system.

And itˋs for sure not to the individual to claim: “I’m an adult and I wash my hands, I can do whatever I like”
    Young people in most cases donˋt have to fear severe complications, but This is not the point.
    Anybody who deny to protect the weaker members of society is in my eyes a reckless asshole and deserves to be punished.

And yes the economic damage will be many billions, but here life saving counts, first the people, second economy.

We have in Austria within a week an increase from the first to over 800 confirmed infections and will pass the 1000 for sure today.

Even in the US almost nobody was tested you have already many more cases than we currently have.
    But your famous president denies the threat and made clear that business is far more important than people.

Considering the rotten social network and limited health care system capacities I fear the bill will be paid by the people with their lifes.

Good luck
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; March 15th, 2020 at 09:55 AM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (March 15th, 2020), carlos.q (March 15th, 2020), Deb (March 15th, 2020), guyy (March 15th, 2020), sgphoto (March 15th, 2020)

Thanks

"Chattanooga priest with coronavirus had contact with hundreds of people in weeks following exposure"

Lhttps://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...ontact/518185/

the last thing I would want is to be around a bunch of people hugging, shaking hands, singing, and acting as though they're protected by a deity.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sgphoto For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (March 15th, 2020), Deb (March 15th, 2020), LeFreak (March 15th, 2020), manoeuver (March 16th, 2020), Pterodactylus (March 15th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,714 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    ...Friday’s Lenten Fish Fry was sold out early.
    More panic buying.
    The end is nie! but no "Bill".

Thanks

From USA Today, Sunday, March 15:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) adds that because the virus is spread primarily through respiratory droplets, you aren't likely to get coronavirus from your mail. "There is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures," the CDC notes on its website, adding, "Currently there is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of COVID-19 in the United States associated with imported goods."

The reduced number of flights across the pond means slower international mail.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Fermata (March 15th, 2020), Jon Szanto (March 15th, 2020), sgphoto (March 15th, 2020)

Thanks

I have never worried about my health but I am worried about this virus and the potential for shortening my life and the effects of the virus on society.

It is the not knowing.

There hasnt been a European situation since 1945 where we have been prevented from doing what we enjoy and have taken for granted for so many years.

It is unprecedented, it is worrying.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

LeFreak (March 15th, 2020), sospiro (March 15th, 2020)

Thanks

Sheesh, Pterodactyl. I’m merely reporting what’s going on in my world on this thread. If you’re in a mental state that you need to come over and punish this reckless asshole, have at it. But wash your hands first!
    Last edited by VertOlive; March 15th, 2020 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgphoto View Post
    "Chattanooga priest with coronavirus had contact with hundreds of people in weeks following exposure"

the last thing I would want is to be around a bunch of people hugging, shaking hands, singing, and acting as though they're protected by a deity.
    When you go anywhere, the possibility of infection is there, be it church or the coffee shop. If you’re concerned, don’t show up.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

VertOlive, unnecessary to mention that all religious groups also shut down their events, this means no people at Christian churches, none at Mosques, none at synagogues,....

Also unnecessary to mention that they canceled all activities voluntarily before the government prohibited meetings.
    So all big religious groups acted proactive responsible.

Not like the priest you mentioned (who should send the people home and stay also at home instead)
    Social distance is the crucial point to slow the virus down.

And slowing it down as soon as possible and as effective as possible will save many lifes.
    Time is the crucial point here.

Thanks

When you go anywhere, the possibility of infection is there, be it church or the coffee shop. If you’re concerned, don’t show up.
    I haven't and won't show up anywhere unless it's an emergency. I'm not religious at all, but it would seem that being a good Christian would mean not participating in an activity that could wreak havoc on others. Wouldn't such an act be a sin?

I don't think fried fish is a good enough reason to take a chance on spreading disease.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to sgphoto For This Useful Post:

Pterodactylus (March 15th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,424 Posts

I don't think fried fish is a good enough reason to take a chance on spreading disease.
    I like fried fish. A lot. I will likely hit a local restaurant in the next month and get some.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    VertOlive, unnecessary to mention that all religious groups also shut down their events, this means no people at Christian churches, none at Mosques, none at synagogues,....

Also unnecessary to mention that they canceled all activities voluntarily before the government prohibited meetings.
    So all big religious groups acted proactive responsible.

Not like the priest you mentioned (who should send the people home and stay also at home instead)
    Social distance is the crucial point to slow the virus down.

And slowing it down as soon as possible and as effective as possible will save many lifes.
    Time is the crucial point here.
    Here where we are they have not shut down, I assume you’re referring to Europe. The crucial point here is whether the virus is any worse than any other and whether or not this widespread overreaction is necessary. You think yes, I think no.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

dneal (April 8th, 2020)

Thanks

I haven't and won't show up anywhere unless it's an emergency. I'm not religious at all, but it would seem that being a good Christian would mean not participating in an activity that could wreak havoc on others. Wouldn't such an act be a sin?

There is a nuance here regarding Catholic belief that you may be unaware of. If you’re interested, pm me and I’ll fill you in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I like fried fish. A lot. I will likely hit a local restaurant in the next month and get some.
    Deep-fried foods will be the safest if they're cooked to order and served immediately. Don't forget hushpuppies, fries, and onion rings.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to sgphoto For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (March 15th, 2020)