Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: The Virus

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Default Re: The Virus

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    The stress of enforced isolation grind down even the strongest of us. I have a certain set of vulnerabilities at the moment and I am being kept in enforced isolation inside a totally cleansed house behind a quarantine room where everything that comes in is removed, cleansed and left for periods of time. The uncertainty of how much longer it will be before I can meet with another person is beginning to make my normal unflappable nature quite fragile. I had already been in isolation for 9 months and was ready to go back out into the world. I had booked an appointment to get my hair cut to celebrate getting out, and to make myself presentable to my peers, and I was ordered back in.
    that's awful Scrawler.
    I'm glad you're taking precautions that will keep you safe though.
    good luck.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

welch (April 18th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

So Texas is beginning to “re-open” as of now. Pertinent to my profession is that elective surgeries will resume and our Blood Center will be gearing up again while reserving 25% of hospital capacity for potential Covid patients. We have also begun taking plasma donations from post-Covid donors for use in clinical trials.

Onward.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

mhosea (April 20th, 2020), ThriveToScribe (April 22nd, 2020), welch (April 25th, 2020)

Thanks

We, in France, are still in a lockdown situation. The President announced there would be a progressive openning from it after May 11.
    The openning will be made progressivly. The Prime-Minister will be giving a press conference, within 15 days, to explain how this operation will be lead, and done.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpagan For This Useful Post:

welch (April 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

In Poland:
    --Schools (and some businesses) were shut down on Thursday, 12 March (or maybe it was the Friday)
    --General #zostańwdomu (stay at home) campaign began as of Sunday, 15 March (stores allowed to remain open provided disposable plastic gloves* (some also hand-sanitizing gel))
    --Soon after the first warm, sunny day, parks, boulevards, beaches, promenades were close to the public, with fines of up to 30,000zł if not obeyed
    --Confusion over whether jogging/running and bicycling for one's health breaks the rules, and citizens finding out that the definition was up to the police officer's discretion or understanding and not the citizen's brandishing (presumably on his cell phone) in front of the police Poland's constitution which contradicts such a rule (martial law was not implemented, therefore...)
    --Face masks, covering nose and mouth, become mandatory on Thursday, 16 April
    --Poland opens the parks and boulevards, etc. (as long as you keep moving through; no sitting or sunbathing or congregating; maintain 2m / 6' distance minimum, as per), as of Monday, 20 April

I believe the last two are related and take into account the simmering masses of people would undergo should they be forced to hunker down as Spring begins, especially having #zostańwdomu'd for over a month.

I rode my bike through some parks on Tuesday. Crowded. (*Laughs*) Not super crowded, but people and their children and dogs enjoyed the parks. Most of the people a mask. Of those who didn't, maybe half wore their masks under their chin or hanging from one ear. Fine, if you're not coughing, sneezing, or talking -- you know, keeping your micro droplets of poison to yourself. But what can you do? Maintain that distance!

*Actually, not sure when the plastic gloves became mandatory, but it was early on. Maybe my local grocery store (part of a chain of smaller groceries) took the initiative for itself.

I took a bike ride yesterday. It was a beautiful day.

IMG_20200423_152428322_HDR_resize_58.jpg

IMG_20200423_153314042_HDR_resize_58.jpg

The river is called Odra, and that was the bike path alongside it for a couple of kilometers.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

jodylud (April 25th, 2020), Kaputnik (April 24th, 2020), Lady Onogaro (April 25th, 2020), welch (April 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

I went to see a doctor yesterday, an appointment made a month ago, nothing very serious, just needs to be dealt with. In compliance with our state order, I was wearing a mask (made from a cut T-Shirt), the two other patients I saw were wearing bandana type masks, and of course the doctor, nurse, and receptionist all had their's.

After the appointment, I parked a bit further down the road, took my mask off, and went for a walk along Main Street. In this smallish town, it was not hard for the few walkers and joggers to keep their distance from each other, although some wore masks anyway.

At work, our cleaning lady, a contractor who cleans at a lot of different places, had been out for a couple of weeks after having symptoms similar to COVID-19. But she got checked out, it was something else, now she's recovered from that, so she's back. She was wearing a mask and using large amounts of powerful smelling disinfectants in the restrooms and other places.

I drove over to a friend's house for dinner this last weekend. Supposedly gatherings of more than five people are banned; there were five of us for dinner, but then someone else came over later. I think the police probably wouldn't have been interested, though.

But speaking of police monitoring, this story about the plans of one police department in our state has led to a lot of concern. I'm not interested in airing my own opinions of it in this forum, just mentioning it for anyone who may not have heard.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

I did not know that a mandatory mask order had been issued. I stopped reading news about it. I arrived without one to see my oncologist this morning and I was given a beautiful mask with the image of a pheasant on it. Some very kind person made it out of multiple layers of high quality cloth and donated it. I need to find something I can do for someone else to return the favour.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (April 24th, 2020), Lady Onogaro (April 25th, 2020), ThriveToScribe (April 28th, 2020), welch (April 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Here in the UK government Stay at Home regulations remain the same for now but they will be revised when possible.

Essential workforce people need to wear masks if they have to travel on public transport to get to work, otherwise masks aren't essential for the general public who can go out once per day for exercise, or for one family member to shop for essential food or medicines. Some are voluntarily wearing masks or covering their faces with clothing while they are out for their daily exercise or standing in queues for food at food retailers.

My OH goes out to buy our food and doesn't wear a mask. He takes disposable gloves and anti-bacterial wipes to wipe down the trolley/cart. And he has anti-bacterial gel to wipe his hands with when he gets back into the car after disposing of his gloves and used wipes.

However, I have been touched by a lovely personal story, and that is what brought me here to post this:

We usually buy our eggs from a local farm called Beechwood Eggs.
    They don't sell to members of the public, but we have a couple of places where we can find their very large, free range eggs. One is Rosebourne, a large garden centre complex that sells food and gardening stuff, and the other is a Post Office at Aldbourne that always has some Beechwood very large eggs. Very sadly Rosebourne closed in March due to the regulations and so did our hairdressers shop in Aldbourne, that was our main reason for visiting that village. This meant we couldn't buy our very large Beechwood eggs at either of our regular places.

On Thursday this week I sent Beechwood Farm an email message advising them that my OH was currently forced into buying our eggs at our local supermarket but that they were poor by comparison to my favourite Beechwood eggs. I also mentioned that it is my "60 something ish" birthday and I would love to have a very large Beechwood egg for my breakfast on my birthday. So I asked if they could advise me of anywhere nearby where they had delivered a tray of very large eggs to so that I could send OH to buy some in time.

Yesterday lunchtime the doorbell rang, an unusual occurrence during these times, as we weren't expecting any courier deliveries that day. A lady was standing on our driveway with 4 boxes of 6 very large Beechwood eggs. She is the part owner of Beechwood farm and had driven from there to bring these eggs plus a birthday card for me, for free.

I was so touched it brought a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat. Having a lockdown birthday isn't ideal, but at least I could enjoy a wonderful free range, very large Beechwood egg for my breakfast.

There is still good in this world. I hope we can all get though this and come out the other side.
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 25th, 2020 at 03:45 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

13. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

azkid (April 25th, 2020), carlos.q (April 25th, 2020), catbert (April 25th, 2020), countrydirt (April 25th, 2020), DaveBj (April 25th, 2020), dneal (April 26th, 2020), Dreck (April 25th, 2020), elaineb (June 19th, 2020), empliau (April 25th, 2020), Lady Onogaro (April 25th, 2020), Marsilius (April 30th, 2020), RWS (April 26th, 2020), Scrawler (April 25th, 2020), ThriveToScribe (April 28th, 2020), usk15 (April 25th, 2020), welch (April 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

What a lovely story, Chrissy and lots of well wishes.....
    I would love to see a photo of those eggs......
    The remains if any are left....
    Maybe a review, er of some sort....

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 25th, 2020), ThriveToScribe (April 28th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

What a wonderful thing!! Any of these acts of random kindness go such a long way any time but especially in times like these.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 25th, 2020), welch (April 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    What a lovely story, Chrissy and lots of well wishes.....
    I would love to see a photo of those eggs......
    The remains if any are left....
    Maybe a review, er of some sort....
    Thank you Yazeh and azkid.

My review is that these eggs have the most glorious dark yellow yolks, and they are easy to peel when soft or hard boiled and they are so moreish. Mmmm.

Photos as requested:

Beechwood eggs_202504_0001.JPGBeechwood eggs_202504_0002.JPG
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 25th, 2020 at 10:00 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

azkid (April 25th, 2020), carlos.q (April 25th, 2020), catbert (April 25th, 2020), countrydirt (April 25th, 2020), DaveBj (April 26th, 2020), elaineb (June 19th, 2020), Scrawler (April 25th, 2020), ThriveToScribe (April 28th, 2020), VertOlive (April 30th, 2020), welch (April 25th, 2020), Yazeh (April 25th, 2020)

Thanks

What a wonderful story amidst these troubled times!

It has always been my belief that acts of kindness & generosity are often visited on those most deserving & I am so happy that your simple wish for something as simple as "favored eggs for a Birthday Breakfast" was met with such a deserved result.

I remember when Louis Vuitton sent a delivery car to your door after you had expressed a desire & ensuing difficulty in obtaining some of their ink; It would seem that you are well respected & I cannot think of anyone more deserving of having your wishes granted.

I hope it is a very special Birthday & one that will be long remembered as the coming Birthdays are celebrated in happier times.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to soretailedcat For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Have an eggstra special birthday Chrissy.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny_S For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 25th, 2020)