Thread: Help identifying/ensuring not fake Noblesse

Thanks

Default Help identifying/ensuring not fake Noblesse

I found a good looking, good shape Noblesse 585 (14K EF nib) from a local vendor. As far as I have researched, it's a 2nd generation one: brushed metal, no star in the clip, plastic engraved stars at top and bottom. Nib just have the "585" mark. Doesn't have the box.

Where's any online resource I can read to make a list of checks to ensure it is not a fake one. I never bought from this local vendor yet, and MB is a brand which has been extensively faked.

In addition, is a price around $100 ok for a good shape, little typical marks, or excessive as doesn't have box nor converter?

Just will be my first "good vintage" pen, and the most expensive I'd buy (by now I just stick to Faber-Castell or P45) and I want to feel sure about it being a fair trade.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Help identifying/ensuring not fake Noblesse

There is no way short of a full materials analysis these days to determine if a pen is authentic but few people would fake a low end student pen like the MB Noblese/VIP/Slimline versions.

The MB Noblese/VIP/Slimline pens were pleasant and often quite nice. Personally I liked the Aurora Hastil that the MBs copied slight more than the MB versions.
    Last edited by jar; February 28th, 2020 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks

I see. Thank you for the info

I'm looking for a decent everyday carry pen, made in metal, and it looked interesting. Sadly, he sold it already, so I will look for another one.

I will look at the Auroras too, thanks for the tip.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aremesal View Post

I'm looking for a decent everyday carry pen, made in metal, and it looked interesting. Sadly, he sold it already, so I will look for another one.

When that style was the "THING" there were quite a few really good choices out there first from Aurora (the Hastil is included as an item at the Museum of Modern Art), MB, ST Dupont, Sheaffer (but the slim converter and cartridge are hard to find), Parker and Waterman.

In modern examples take a look at Platinum. They have a superb line of slim metal pens.

Last edited by jar; February 29th, 2020 at 06:29 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

aremesal (February 29th, 2020), Lady Onogaro (April 7th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

When that style was the "THING" there were quite a few really good choices out there first from Aurora (the Hastil is included as an item at the Museum of Modern Art), MB, ST Dupont, Sheaffer (but the slim converter and cartridge are hard to find), Parker and Waterman.

In modern examples take a look at Platinum. They have a superb line of slim metal pens.

I though the Platinum PTL-10000 was a resin body and cap (which is what they based their Maki-e series on that runs around $192 or so).

Thanks

Thanks for the recommendations. I prefer metal pens tho

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

Those write very nicely, too, with a slightly springy nib. I love mine. I have a Montblanc Noblesse a friend gave me, and I prefer to write with this Platinum (I even have this pattern).
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

The Noblesse pens are really fun to write with, if you like thin pens. The one you looked at sounded original. I actually prefer the Alfred Dunhill Gemline versions (especially the lacquer versions) which were also made by MB (Dunhill purchased them sometime in the late 70's early 80's). The parts are all interchangeable within all of these (Noblesse, Gemline, Slimline, VIP). If you get one, make sure it has the original converter- these pens take standard international cartridges but they are very fussy about converters (most industry standard converters won't fit in these pens securely).

The ST Dupont Classique pens also have similar dimensions and are even more pleasant to write with (the lacquer versions have a wonderful hand feel and the long grooved sections are very comfortable). These pens take Parker style cartridges which is a bit of a pain but you can use some of the Parker aerometric converters with these if they no longer have the original converter. The Pilot Con50 converter will also work with these.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dadbar For This Useful Post:

aremesal (April 7th, 2020)