Thread: Sheaffer vacu-fil

Thanks

Default Sheaffer vacu-fil

I recently purchased a vintage Sheaffer vacu-fil pen. I believe it is from the 1940's. It was received today. After examination I noticed the blind cap is wobbly when extended. Is this normal for this type pen? I also noticed the barrel turns easily from the section but does not unscrew. I am reluctant to pull on the section to separate them for fear of damaging the section. What is the best method to use to separate the section from the body? Any advice would be appreciated. The gold Triumph nib appears in good condition are writes with an even, fine line.

Regards,

N.K.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Sheaffer vacu-fil

As always, photos would be quite helpful, as you haven't completely identified the pen model and production era (understandable). The more info we have, the more we can help. I'm concerned about a section that moves that easily in a plunger filler.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Default Re: Sheaffer vacu-fil

At least some (I think all, but I'm not certain) of the solid color, thin shaft vac-fill Sheaffer's have a two part barrel, with the section and ink chamber being one piece and the colored resin barrel sleeve being a seperate part which threads on to the inner portion, the outer sleeve also captures the cap thread ring, which splines on to the section. If you look at the spot where the thin plunger shaft meets the blind cap. you can see a ball and socket type attachment in there on some models, I'm not completely certain that yours is supposed to have that, but some certainly do.

If the barrel sleeve isn't cracked, but won't thread firmly to the section that can only mean bad things... either shrinkage of the clear/amber resin section/ink chamber, or stripped threads (inner or outer). I have a brown Triumph nibbed pen with the same malady, sadly mine had ink chamber shrinkage, making it useless as anything other than a parts donor.

If you post pictures, we can confirm whether my guesses are correct
    David-

So many restoration projects...