Thread: Comparison of Traditional Iron Galls

Thanks

Default Comparison of Traditional Iron Galls

I uploaded this to the other place, but thought some here might find it interesting.

These are the Iron Gall inks that I curently use. I thought people new to IG inks might find it helpful to see how they look, especially compared to each other.

I haven't included Scabiosa or any of Konrad's colours because I tend not to use them, and also because the colours themselves distinguish them adequately, in my view.

I am still waiting on a couple of bottles of Hero 232 to arrive, and will update the image when I have had a chance to try it.

The image is a pretty good reproduction of the colours, with the exception of the difference between 4 and 5. The IG Blue #3 does have a distinctive blue hue.

All lines have thoroughly dried/cured. Paper is Rhodia Dot Pad 80 gsm.

galls.jpg
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (March 3rd, 2020), AzJon (March 2nd, 2020), carlos.q (March 1st, 2020), catbert (March 1st, 2020), FredRydr (March 1st, 2020), grainweevil (March 1st, 2020), Jon Szanto (March 1st, 2020), Robert (March 1st, 2020), sgphoto (March 2nd, 2020), Yazeh (March 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Comparison of Traditional Iron Galls

I don't know too much about iron gall or other ingredients in ink, and I'm mostly joining in to get better at choosing inks. If I have understood it correctly, the fountain pen inks we get are formulated to flow easily and rinse out easily, but still keep the permanece some pigments have on paper. I guess the powder from ink sticks and iron gall are the more permanent parts in them, while other parts can fade a bit with time.

I use Pelikan 4001 blueblack, I think it's considered iron gall. I'm hoping the blue color doesn't fade to black or grey with time though. I have used fount india in the past, but have hesited a bit in my more expensive pens.

I have to admit, I choose inks from color not thinking much about the ingredients or permanence.
    Last edited by arrow; March 1st, 2020 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks

You may want to add TWSBI Blue Black to your list. TWSBI is now saying it's an iron gall ink. See the review I just posted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    You may want to add TWSBI Blue Black to your list. TWSBI is now saying it's an iron gall ink. See the review I just posted.
    Thanks Bill. I saw the TWSBI and Lamy (Benoitie) releases and, apart from being encouraged that there is still sufficient demand for iron galls to warrant ink makers putting out new inks, I have arrived at a solid lineup for now.

If I get through most of these, I'll think about a bottle of ESSRI, though

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    Yeah, I viewed that. Thanks. I don't like the variation in the blue tones. Some of them are boring. I like a blue-black to go toward bluish-gray-black.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post

Hi,

that is a brilliant idea! My dearest ink of all.
    I'll reorder a bottle of ESSRI by the end of the year...

Your Akkerman #10 looks a bit pale, mine gets as dark as Diamine's Registrar's...

Best wishes
    Jens
    .................................................. .................................................. .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SchaumburgSwan For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (April 1st, 2020), silverlifter (March 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SchaumburgSwan View Post
    Your Akkerman #10 looks a bit pale, mine gets as dark as Diamine's Registrar's...
    Yes, I have noticed that it performs differently according to the paper, nib and length of time in the pen.

That line was the first thing I wrote in the morning, by later in the day it was noticeably darker. I don't mind it at all, I enjoy the different "personalities" of the ink, and it is always a great shader.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SchaumburgSwan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post

Hi,

that is a brilliant idea! My dearest ink of all.
    I'll reorder a bottle of ESSRI by the end of the year...

Best wishes
    Jens
    I ordered a bottle of ESSRI last week and I've got several pens cleaned and ready to ink from a Neponset flex, a 1.1 JoWo stub on a Ranga, and a Churchman's Prescriptor with a broad cursive italic that's soon to arrive. I think I'm in for a good time.

Cheers.
    Sg